• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Photo #40 - April 21, 2013:

2013_04_21.png

May 1989

Great Adventure's largest remote control game area was located in Lahaway Creek in front of the Fort. Originally appearing in 1980,
"Yacht Club" remote boats remained at the park through the 1984 season. In 1985, the small remote sailboats were replaced with
super-sized four foot Navy vessels when the attraction was rechristened "Battleship Cove." These remotes were removed at
the end of the 1991 season.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo #41 - May 2, 2013:

2013_04_28.png

Various Seasons

Ever since Great Adventure's main entrance was relocated in 1976, large information boards have always been on display
in the park's outer mall area. Though the style of the signs has changed over the years, the information has typically included
such things as ticket prices, upcoming events, ride information, and future concerts.

Photo #42 - May 10, 2013:

2013_05_10.png

June 1974

While the Runaway Train is not an extreme scream machine by today's roller coaster standards, when it first opened in
1974 it did provide an exciting ride. An early article quotes park management as saying the ride was "so wild we had to
close it and take some of the bumps out it. The velocity goes up so fast you get jerked out of your seat and we had a
few sprained necks."

Photo #43 - May 15, 2013:

2013_05_17.png

October 1974

For 39 seasons the Conestoga Wagon stood parked next to Great Adventure's massive Fort in the park's western themed
section. When this oversized snack stand originally opened, guests were able to walk completely around the structure and
admire the Conestoga from all sides and all angles. Expansion of the restaurant's kitchen facilities in the late 1970's saw the
addition of a square building adjacent to the rear of the wagon in the area pictured above.

I think it has stood up as Arrow's best mine train coaster. I always liked the fact it had a single full sized lift rather than multiple short lifts like many of their mine trains had/have.

I agree, I don't like the mine trains with multiple lifts as much. Once the train starts picking up speed, there is a set of brakes and another lifthill to kill the momentum.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo #45 - June 02, 2013:

2013_06_01.png

August 1998

In the late 1990's Movie Town was at the height of its popularity with its extensive offerings of thrill rides and
entertainment. Gotham City Water Works, a highly themed water gun game, joined other superhero attractions
including Batman The Ride, Batman and Robin - The Chiller, and the Batman Stunt Spectacular.

Photo #46 - June 08, 2013:

2013_06_08.png

May 1992

The original Batman Stunt Show premiered on June 13, 1992. The newly constructed 3200 seat arena was home to five daily shows
performed on a 180 foot Gotham City set. Three story facades of Wayne Manor, City Hall, and the Axis Chemical Plant reached heights
up to 45 feet. Wayne Manor featured a keystone engraved with the numbers 1974, a tribute to the year Great Adventure opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo #47 - June 20, 2013:

2013_06_20.png

June 26, 2004

Located in the Safari Hospitality Center, Park-A-Pet was an 80 pen kennel located just outside of the Safari Park entrance. Guests
traveling with their animals were able to drop their pets off for the day where they would be offered fresh water and supervision, as
well as any owner-provided food. The pet stop operated in this stand-alone building until June 2004 when it was closed and
demolished for the construction of the Kingda Ka tower.

Photo #48 - June 25, 2013:

2013_06_24.png

June 25, 1974

With less than a week until Great Adventure's grand opening, Warner LeRoy provided a VIP tour of the park for investors
and New Jersey state representatives including then governor Brendan Byrne. In this photo, Warner takes the group for a trip
around the upper perimeter of the Great Arena which was still under construction at the time.

Photo #49 - June 30, 2013:

2013_06_29.png

June 30, 1974

The official opening day of Great Adventure is sometimes a confusing thing with numerous dates floating about as to when
the park first welcomed guests. The first official preview day was June 30, 1974 for invited guests and Jackson,, NJ residents. The
park opened for business on July 1, 1974 for a three day soft opening leading up to the park's grand opening on July 4, 1974.
The rest is history!

When I started Photo of the Week a year ago I wondered how successful I would be at keeping it up. A year later and I am happy to say that I didn't make out too badly in updating the topic. Take out the couple of photos that I missed because I didn't have electricity because of Sandy and I would have come even closer!

So should we continue this feature and do another year's worth of weekly photos?

When I started Photo of the Week a year ago I wondered how successful I would be at keeping it up. A year later and I am happy to say that I didn't make out too badly in updating the topic. Take out the couple of photos that I missed because I didn't have electricity because of Sandy and I would have come even closer!

So should we continue this feature and do another year's worth of weekly photos?

Absolutely... I look forward to it.