VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jackson officials' plan for hotel near Six Flags moves forward

GAcoaster

From the Ocean Signal:

Jackson Township Unveils Vision of New Hotel & Retail Complex

JACKSON-Jackson Township has high hopes for future development along the Interstate 195 corridor that runs through the entire northern section of the 100 square mile town. Plans were recently unveiled by the New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs that could see a hotel, retail complex and other projected additions, anchored by the Six Flags Great Adventure Amusement Park.

A plan to develop the open space around the amusement park outlines a $65,000,000 project which contains a 600 room resort hotel, a conference center and 30,000 square foot “Entertainment Village” The project hopes to capitalize on Jackson Township’s centralized location in the state and the immediate proximity of the amusement park. “Although predominantly a suburban community, Jackson is fast becoming a tourism destination,” the report stated. “Jackson is home to Six Flags Great Adventure, Wild Safari Park, Hurricane Harbor Water Park as well as their newly themed area Plaza Del Carnaval.

Combined, these are the four largest amusement parks in the Northeast.” Mayor Michael Reina, who is spearheading the charge to make Jackson Township a premier travel destination, said the close proximity to the Jersey Shore, Joint Naval Base, Jackson Premium Outlets and it’s centrally located position between New York and Philadelphia could make the project become a year-round destination. The plan also suggests the creation of transportation between the major sites in the plan. While the plan mentions a monorail or cable car system, it also defers, “The bus shuttle or tram would be the most cost effective method.”

Skyway Gondola In one of the design diagrams, architects envision a skyway gondola connecting Six Flags Great Adventure, the Wild Safari station, Hurricane Harbor and the hotel complex. Jackson Tower A 300 foot tower, to house the gondola will also serve as a playground, dining facility, meeting area and nightclub, according to the plan.

It will provide access for visitors to the three other gondola towers located within the amusement park. Planning While the architectural renderings and design concepts are just visionary ideas at this point to lure investors, the approach taken by the township and the state is a bold one and if the plan lures investors and developers, it could be an economic windfall for the township.

concourse-590x252.jpg

More renderings are in the article.

This sounds like the township is trying to attract businesses to create a "Downtown Six Flags" area. I wonder how much of this is the Township and how much is the park?

This would be great for Six Flags, but not for me...the park will be crowded. If they add an indoor waterpark, then they will be open in the winter :).

40th anniversary addition?!?!

Edited by jsblumen

The bad news... there have been several plans like this out on the web for years.

The good news... it is now on the Jackson Township website so we may be getting closer to seeing something.

This is currently on Jackson's homepage:

Jackson Township Strategic Planning Study

THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY AFFAIRS LOCAL PLANNING SERVICES, IN COLLABORATION WITH THE NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY COLLEGE OF ARCHITECTURE AND DESIGN, RELEASES THE JACKSON TOWNSHIP STRATEGIC PLANNING STUDY

In June 2011, Mayor Michael Reina held an Economic Development Summit to discuss the future economic growth of the Township. One of the many opportunities discussed was the creation of a lodging facility on or adjacent to Six Flags.

Mayor Reina reached out to the Commissioner of the Department of Community Affairs (DCA) to seek assistance from its Local Planning Services Unit in addressing the Township Master Plan as it related to moving forward, particularly with regards to tourism, job creation and land development. “My Administration is eagerly exploring all avenues to shift the tax ratable base from residential to commercial development,” said Mayor Michael Reina.

Jackson Township is the third largest municipality in the State of New Jersey and is the home to both the 2,400 acre Six Flags Great Adventure- which includes the area’s largest Theme Park , Hurricane Harbor Water Park and Wild Safari- and the Joint Base consisting of Fort Dix, McGuire, and Lakehurst Military Bases. The township is centrally located between the New York and Philadelphia Metropolitan area, as it is 63 miles from New York City and 43 miles from Philadelphia. In addition, Jackson is 22 miles to the Jersey Shore and 27 miles to Trenton, our State Capital.

Six Flags Great Adventure is rated among the top 20 amusement/theme parks in North America. The 2010 Survey by TEA/AECOM shows this tourist destination has 2.7 million visitors a year and an annual increase of 2.5 percent from the previous year. Actual figures are close to 3 million.

New Jersey is a tourist destination to both the New York and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. Since 2006 there has been a double digit increase in overnight leisure visits to the State, as New Jersey gains market share in the United States. New Jersey visitors are older and have higher income than the national average, as noted by the New Jersey Department of State Division of Tourism. They also noted that the State boasts excellent destination satisfaction ratings as compared to its competition.

The DCA Local Planning Services report provides a comprehensive primary and secondary market feasibility study, project proforma analysis, and site selection. The results of the New Jersey Institute of Technology College of Architecture and Design report, included the following elements:

1. Overnight accommodation of 600 rooms, 200 to be open all year round with indoor pool/ spa/ fitness center/ business and conference center
  2. 30,000 sq ft retail/ entertainment venue inclusive of restaurants and retail shops with Main Street feel to be open all year round.
  3. Infrastructure- inclusive of transportation and storm water management.

This comprehensive planning document will be incorporated within the request for proposal for investment opportunity/ hotel entertainment venue in the Jackson Township solicitation for a master developer.

It would benefit them and get more tourists, but that means longer lines for us :(. I think they need to put in a lot more family/flat rides before they can get huge crouds to stay at their hotel.

While I think a hotel / Entertainment Complex near the park would be good, I have a few problems with this particular idea. First of all, the pictures seem to indicate the removal of all remaining forrest in the area. Second, the ultra modern coorporate business park appearance of the project seems to be completely wrong for Great Adventure.

• Like 1

A hotel is the final piece of the puzzle in making it into a resort type destination. I don't see why Six Flags would object, this is someone else fronting all of the money for the development and construction of it and they stand to only benefit from it with minimal to no investment.

The reason the original hotel idea was scrapped was from Red Zone's giant cost cutting across the board. Now that someone else is going to oversee and do it, why stop them?

Source: Asbury Park Press

Jackson officials' plan for hotel near Six Flags moves forward

Aug. 20, 2013

JACKSON — In a series of hotel concepts with shopping space and nightclubs, state and local leaders have laid out their visions for developing a rural area of Jackson near Six Flags Great Adventure.

In a 61-page plan released recently, the state Division of Community Affairs’ Local Planning Services and a team of students from the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s College of Architecture & Design illustrated their ideas for bringing a 600-room hotel and adjacent attractions to the township.

“This is something that we were trying to do for many years,” Councilman Kenneth Bressi said.

Three years, in fact. Mayor Michael Reina proposed the plan for a hotel in the area around Six Flags Great Adventure in 2011 at a gathering of state officials and potential investors at the theme park.

With about 3 million people visiting Six Flags’ theme park and adjacent water park every year, and no hotel within nine miles, Jackson officials hope such a structure will keep visitors longer and entice them to spend more money at surrounding businesses.

“It’s a subject whose time has come,” said township Councilman Robert Nixon, who chairs the township’s Economic Development Committee. “The possibility’s there, and we should go out and grab it.”

The DCA and NJIT concept examines four sites adjacent to or near Six Flags’ parks, proposes monorails or high-wire gondola transportation systems, and layouts plans for nightclubs, shopping centers and spas surrounding an array of hotel designs.

“Without a doubt I’d love to see a project of this magnitude up in Jackson,” said Joe Fiero, a member of the township’s Economic Development Committee. “It’s way past time.”

“In the past, the landowners and the interested parties just have not been able to come together,” he added. “We’re hoping that at this point in time, the scope of the project (and) the economy will make some real excitement… and maybe we’ll get a shovel in the ground.”

The motivation for Jackson’s elected officials is clear.

“The main purpose of every economic plan is to reduce the burden of taxes on the residents, the municipal portion of it (the tax bill),” Reina said.

The township's residential tax base is worth about $5.8 billion, while its commercial area is assessed at $607 million. Jackson's residential-to-commercial ratio for tax collection is about 87 percent to 9 percent.

Reina and Bressi said the new hotel concept, which was funded by the DCA, coincides with a television segment set to air on the “Today in America” show, which broadcasts on FOX Business Network and CNN Headline News. The segment will promote Jackson as one of the best places in the country to live, play and work, Reina said.

With the completion of the “Today in America” filming, “we have a complete package to show people,” Bressi said.

In the next step toward realizing their goal, Jackson officials will send the DCA-NJIT concept and “Today in America” segment to hotel chains, hoping to attract a developer.

Nixon said Jackson residents will have a venue to host weddings, proms and large parties, or have a place where community organizations can meet.

Dumb question this wont be built on Six flags owned land will it

no because they could build new rides there instead. Six flags management team is not stupid. and this hotel idea does not fit six flags. maybe the hotel could be across the street from the park.

This is kinda like the original plan to make it like a resort. I think the park needs to expand and have better crowd control before this happens. We need more things to do than just rides. People need to be in other places so that they r not all in lines. It definitely needs to be more organized.

An idea a bit ahead of it's time in my eyes... Six Flags draws a lot of people, and there is certainly a need for a hotel in the immediate area. But is it ready for a 600 room hotel with all the jazz mentioned in that article? Not but my guess, but then again, there are people whose jobs it is to figure these sorts of things out, so I could be wrong. I don't see them ready yet to take the step to resort status though. Cedar point sells out over ten + hotels in the area around it, but you have to remember there's a lot more to do in that park and more things to keep crowds controlled. It's also right on a beach which lures many people in as well.

and not trying to dircriminate but they need to control the 'ghettoness' of the park. I feel like i am in south philly sometimes

Unfortunately, that's something they can't really do. You have to remember the park is located within an hour or so of two major cities; Phili, and New York. You'll get a lot of "ghetto" from either one. And you can't exactly deny guests entry into the park just because you think they may cause a problem; there'd be a ton of lawsuits if they started stopping people from entering the park because they look a certain way or seem "ghetto." Sadly, the only way to know who is going to cause a problem is by... seeing who causes a problem.

and not trying to dircriminate but they need to control the 'ghettoness' of the park. I feel like i am in south philly sometimes

That will happen at any park near large cities. It just happens. Six Flags America and New England have far rougher crowds then Great Adventure....

yes and i am a teenager but i hate when other teens destroy the parks property. Saw a kid peeing in the sink in the bathroom once and never went in that bathroom again

That's disgusting. Hopefully you went to the management when you saw that happen.

• Like 1