VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

GAcoaster

Wow what a great debate. I agree up charge rides are just that. When I visit a theme park once ive paid my gate...I will buy my food, drinks, snakes, gists, Tshirts and the like but no you will not get more outta me to ride a Slingshot and Dare Devil Dive. i can ride at any boardwalk of small amusment park Heck weve got 2 right here 12 miles apart. And sling shot also 2. And at both parks I dont pay to park or pay a gate price. Great Advenure built its back on families, by offering something for everyone. SHows, music, food, shopping. To quit a book. "Nothing compares to either of the Disney projects in size and scope . Like Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ." The Great AMerican Admusment PArk" 1975

Plans? What plans? Look at the video and pictures of the new ride that the park has released. There is no path or other means of accessing the ride in either of them. As usual, not something that has been given any real thought.

Do you honestly think that is true?

I don't have all the exact details but the entrance to the Zumanjaro area will be before Kingda Ka's entrance on the right side of the existing path (I assume around the Tiger Leap shop). The path will wrap around the right side of the current Ka queue and proceed down to the tower on land now occupied by Rolling Thunder.

Can we please get this topic on track and talk about the future ride? If anyone still wants to continue saying what the park is doing wrong, I would instead suggest going to the My Ideas For the Park area of the forums and make your solutions to these issues known.

The topic is Zumanjaro. That is the future ride. We are discussing the addition of Zumanjaro as being what the park is doing wrong. That is not off topic. The idea of a discussion forum is to have a discussion, not just rave about how great the ride is going to be. We are discussing Zumanjaro and the decisions the park is making in order to add it.

The topic is Zumanjaro. That is the future ride. We are discussing the addition of Zumanjaro as being what the park is doing wrong. That is not off topic. The idea of a discussion forum is to have a discussion, not just rave about how great the ride is going to be. We are discussing Zumanjaro and the decisions the park is making in order to add it.

Exacatly, the topic is ZUMANJARO. It is not the best place to complain about everything one thinks has gone wrong since opening day because they feel the park isn't adding something that is ideal (whatever that might be). There are better topics for that.

Yeah, we know. But, the thing is people are going on and on about everything wrong with the park, not just Zumanjaro. Talking about Zumanjaro and what is wrong with adding that is fine, but now some people just go on about the future of the park (we have a topic for that) and in generally what the park is doing wrong. Not about Zumanjaro.

Do you honestly think that is true?

I don't have all the exact details but the entrance to the Zumanjaro area will be before Kingda Ka's entrance on the right side of the existing path (I assume around the Tiger Leap shop). The path will wrap around the right side of the current Ka queue and proceed down to the tower on land now occupied by Rolling Thunder.

Believe me Harry, I don't like the fact that I have come to believe that this park is really headed down the wrong path, but sadly, yes I do believe it. Look at the entrance to SORA... Do you really believe that was something that was well thought out and part of some strategic plan? I don't see it and, quite honestly, it doesn't appear many of the more mature forum members see it either. I don't "slam" anyone. I'm not here to push buttons like some teenager in order to provoke a response.

Someone else pointed out on here, they're now going to destroy a classic coaster to create an extremely long path to a ride with very limited appeal. Another dead end. They're right.

Where are the schematics of this path and the new baboon exhibit area? If they existed I'd think they'd be great PR to support the park's plans and, given all the heat they're getting from the removal of RT, something to help cool things down. I realize you have a personal/business relationship with the people you may see me as criticizing, but I do not. I'm speaking solely out of my genuine concern for the park as a loyal guest who's really finding it difficult to believe what sounds like nothing more than "spin" from PR.

Wow what a great debate. I agree up charge rides are just that. When I visit a theme park once ive paid my gate...I will buy my food, drinks, snakes, gists, Tshirts and the like but no you will not get more outta me to ride a Slingshot and Dare Devil Dive. i can ride at any boardwalk of small amusment park Heck weve got 2 right here 12 miles apart. And sling shot also 2. And at both parks I dont pay to park or pay a gate price. Great Advenure built its back on families, by offering something for everyone. SHows, music, food, shopping. To quit a book. "Nothing compares to either of the Disney projects in size and scope . Like Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ." The Great AMerican Admusment PArk" 1975

Has to be the best thing that has ever been said about any non-Disney theme park. I, too, loved that quote.

Someone else pointed out on here, they're now going to destroy a classic coaster to create an extremely long path to a ride with very limited appeal. Another dead end. They're right.

Just like the Rolling Thunder area was a dead end in 1979? And how is it that the new ride has been branded with "limited appeal" but rides like Lightnin' Loops, FreeFall, and almost all the major coasters escaped this classification?

Harry, I find it interesting that you failed to address either of my comments related to planning (the area which you had questioned my wisdom in my previous comment) and instead focused on the dead end issue.

First, there was no forum for addressing issues such as this in 1978-79. Second, I was 13 years old at the time and probably thought along the lines of other teenagers at the time. Third, GA didn't have any rollercoasters at the time other than RMT and Wild Rider and, lastly, the park's attendance was growing by leaps and bounds and didn't look like the dirty, rundown, place that it has become.

Harry, I find it interesting that you failed to address either of my comments related to planning (the area which you had questioned my wisdom in my previous comment) and instead focused on the dead end issue.

First, there was no forum for addressing issues such as this in 1978-79. Second, I was 13 years old at the time and probably thought along the lines of other teenagers at the time. Third, GA didn't have any rollercoasters at the time other than RMT and Wild Rider and, lastly, the park's attendance was growing by leaps and bounds and didn't look like the dirty, rundown, place that it has become.

I responded to the "dead end" issue in an effort to keep the topic related to the ride and its location and not focus on the overall strategic planning of the park or the perceived lack thereof.

If you feel a need for my response, here it is, but once again let's stay on topic. There are other topics for addressing your overall concerns with the park and I once again encourage you to provide your solutions on what the park should be doing in those topics.

- In regards to the location of the SORA station, I doubt anyone would complain if it weren't for the removal of the Conestoga Wagon. The location of the ride made use of the best access point to the Safari park. The trip through the heavily wooded plot of land between the theme park and the safari park is quite scenic and helps set a mood of actually traveling into the jungle. The other alternative would have been to place it in the parking lot and then we would have heard how that was such a lousy decision. The Safari park drive-thru's best days had come and gone and if turning it into a first-class attraction meant the removal of the Wagon, I think that far outweighed the risk of closing the Safari.

- I already responded to the "dead end" issue, and in regards to your further response, you state that the park didn't have any other roller coasters other than RMT and Wild Rider when Rolling Thunder was added - for the record, today the park is adding a drop tower and it currently has zero such rides. As far as the park being "a dirty and rundown place", when was the last time you were there? These aren't exactly the words I would use to describe the park today.

- In regards to schematics and plans, what park do you know that issues these? Sometimes renderings include every detail, but not always. The major focus of next year's addition is the ride, not the line. And as far as cooling things down, I think the majority of people have already moved on in regards to the ride's removal. I was at the park this weekend and didn't see any tears being shed or even a mention of Rolling Thunder.

- Lastly, in regards to your statement of me having "a personal/business relationship with the people you may see me as criticizing", you are entitled to your opinion and making it known. That is why our forums are always open and we have never deleted anyone's posts but we do ask that you keep the topics relevant. For the record, I do not work for the park, that is why this is an "unofficial site". But I do have a great admiration for it and respect the direction the current management team is trying to take the park. No park publishes exact details on its five-year or long term plans mostly because of giving a heads up to its competition, and also because of new developments/hardware in the industry, so I don't see why you think this is something Great Adventure should share.

Once again to recap my take on the current management approach:

2011: The park added the Green Lantern stand-up coaster. The park did not need another coaster but this was already in the process of being installed when the new management team arrived. I can tell you this was not their first choice.

2012: They refurbished an area of the park, Adventure Alley, stripped by the previous management and made it a lively section filled with family rides (Scrambler, bumper cars, flying elephants) as well as family/thrill ride (SkyScreamer). Not since the '70s has the area offered more or seen such traffic.

2013: The park added an "E-ticket" Safari ride and in the process saved an integral part of Great Adventure that would have most likely been closed, the land sold, or in the best case turned into a golf course. It was a wise move to attract families.

2014: The park announced plans to fill a void in their lineup with a drop tower- a ride that has been at the top of guest's want list ever since the removal of FreeFall by the previous management team.

Also, let's not forget that during the current management team's rule they have removed only one ride in four years, while the previous management team scrapped more than ten rides during the same amount of time.

Is the park where it was during its peak performance? (I personally consider 1983 to be the year to strive to match.) Not yet. They still have some major things lacking especially in the area of shows, but I do feel that we have a better chance of getting there with the current team than we did with the prior management team's approach or even any of the other teams that have guided the park since its peak back in 1983.

From here on out I am sticking to the topic of the ride.

I dont mind getting a drop tower because Gadv needs one and I even like the idea of it being on the tallest coaster. I don't like heights (even though I ride KK and SS and other drop towers at other parks) but it's not a ride that I would try and ride multiple times in a day (ex: Nitro, SM, El Toro, Bizarro) so I might feel alittle worried that after a few years it might lose its appeal. It seems to me that SS lost its appeal already (seems like it's only a 1 or 2 cycle wait and the ride itself it short).

And with the long walk to get there if you're with a family and lets say only 1/2 the family members want to ride and the other 1/2 does not, what is there for them to do while waiting for you to ride? That's what I am thinking of. My wife will be bored sitting there waiting for me and my 2 kids to ride.

Again I like the attraction but it seems it missing something more.

Hopefully they will have a single rider line like Lex Luthor at Magic Mountain to make the wait faster for anyone riding alone and if they add a single rider line, I hope it starts at the beginning of the queue not like at Green Lantern where if there is a long line, you don't save much time using the single rider line since it takes a while to get to the entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't like the color of orange for the ride, it should be the same as KK supports. I mean, how ugly will that be? Guess we won't know til next year. Can't really tell from the virtual pictures for it.

Edited by SFGadv123

I agree about the colors. The supports for Lex Luthor Drop of Doom at Magic Mountain match the color of the supports for the coaster it is attached to. If they could do it there, then they can match the colors here too. However, if they want the ride to stand out (which they probably do) then the orange works perfectly.

• 1 month later...

I think its more of a "record breaker" than anything else. Great Adventure loves breaking records and it draws massive crowds. Look at Kingda ka. It's still attracting people. And with 2 record breaking rides together, it just might work! I hope with the increased revenue, they will fix up the rest of the park before any other major project. We can have one season with nothing new if that means other things will be fixed. (parking lot, security)

I think its more of a "record breaker" than anything else. Great Adventure loves breaking records and it draws massive crowds. Look at Kingda ka. It's still attracting people. And with 2 record breaking rides together, it just might work! I hope with the increased revenue, they will fix up the rest of the park before any other major project. We can have one season with nothing new if that means other things will be fixed. (parking lot, security)

Again, I don't know where this perception of these "record breaking attractions" drawing massive crowds comes from, because it simply is NOT true. For at least the last decade (and likely longer) Great Adventure's attendance has been at (or very close to) 1 million visitors fewer than the consistent mid- to high 3 million that visited in the '80s and '90s. There is no "increased revenue" from attendance. There is diminished revenue, along with diminished attendance, and when you're also spending record breaking prices for these record breaking attractions (almost always costing in the double digit millions of dollars), you're not even paying for the cost of that new attraction in a single season.

It's all wrong!

What will really attract the most people is a balance between record breaking thrill rides and attractions the whole family can enjoy, they seem to be trying to do better with this over the last few years, with Green Lantern in 2011, the flat ride package in 2012, Safari Off Road Adventure in 2013, and Zumanjaro in 2014. The only problem is that they haven't figured out that a ride doesn't have to be removed nearly every time a ride is added.

Back to the topic of Zumanjaro, I still feel like it is a good addition because since the removal of the old Freefall people have been wanting a drop tower at the park and it fills that hole in the park's ride lineup while differentiating itself from similar rides by being the tallest.

The only problem is that they haven't figured out that a ride doesn't have to be removed nearly every time a ride is added.

That is exactly how I feel. When was the last time a ride was added but nothing was removed?