VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #21: Agree/Disagree: Water rides aren't as popular anymore.

29 members have voted

1. 1. Has the appeal of water rides diminished to the point where they are no longer as popular as years ago?

• Yes. People don't flock to water rides any more.
    • No. Water rides are as popular as ever and a welcomed attraction when it is hot.

I believe that water rides in theme parks are still as popular as ever, especially as rides that the entire family can enjoy together. I did notice that when I recently visited Magic Mountain and California Adventure (both on very warm May days with nice sized crowds in each park), that Roaring Rapids at Magic Mountain was not very crowded (cue only about 1/5th full) while the Grizzly River Rapids at DCA was probably one of the top three most crowded rides in the park. Again, though, I think at parks largely drawing a teen crowd versus a more family oriented crowd (like the Disney parks), the water rides will seem to be somewhat less popular than the roller coasters. Simply speculation on my part.

The problem I have with todays water parks is, I was a frequent visitor to the best water park ever-Action Park in the 80's and 90's. And todays water parks are no where near as good as that place ever was. Most of todays waters parks are boring as hell. And the lines take forever.

Edited by DANofNJ

^ Yeah I've looked stuff up about that place, given how it was basically an urban legend come to life it doesn't surprise me it isn't in that form anymore. With the connotation associated with the name Action Park I'm surprised they brought it back.

I think water rides are still as popular as ever with guests, water rides just are not as popular with management, especially northern parks with a shorter water season and Halloween creep cutting the water season even shorter. GADV ripped out two major water rides to replace them with nothing. GADV management is falling back on drawing the teens and yahoos with big thrill rides instead of trying to draw familes in with family type rides like water rides.

While I could never spend an entire day at a water park, you'll always need water rides in the amusement park, i.e., Log Flume, Roarding Rapids. With the heat and humitity, you need something to break the day up. Water rides add variety, something amusements parks seem to be missing these days. (Wasn't the Moon Flume built to alleviate the long lines across the park at the Log Flume?)

There's only so many roller coasters you can go on. After a while, all roller coasters are the same.

The main reason behind this question was prompted by an observation on Saturday. It was a warm day in June and yet Congo Rapids was a walk on. Years ago the queue would have been filled and overflowing its entrance. I realize it isn't as state of the art or attractive as decades past but as one of only two water rides in the park I would have expected a bigger crowd.

^ It depends on the park. I think Congo Rapids may not be as popular because people don't feel like getting soaked and have to change their clothes for only one ride. When Splashwater Falls was almost across from it people may have been more willing to get soaked. Also most people, when its hot, go into the water park, and when they are done, they don't feel like doing anymore water rides.

I think water rides are as popular as ever, but it depends on the situation of each ride.

I like water rides but dont want to get soaked and then walk around the park the rest of day like that. That's why I like the log flume because you can get wet but (probably) not soaked. The rapids is all on luck. You can get drenched or stay completely dry.

They need to add something that can "mist" people while on a ride. Even if its a flat ride. Or even a pathway that has misters along in the trees with sprinklers and water spouts coming out of the ground. That way some people can get "moist" or "damp" while other people can get alittle more wet.

I think they are still popular. I have been waiting to ride the Saw Mill Log Flume later in the day when the line is short but I remember many times in the past few years when the park wasn't that crowded and the ride still had a 30+ minute ride. I rarely ride Congo Rapids because I don't want to get soaked and would like to see another water ride that doesn't soak you. A Mack water coaster would be good if it was the standard type like Journey to Atlantis in Orlando and San Diego or Poseidon at Europa Park since it would give the park another water ride and add to the park's coaster count.

Edited by Yoshi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The big problem with water rides is if they just make them seasonal, people complain they aren't open for those few really hot days in spring and fall, and if you have them open from opening day to closing day, many times they go unridden on those days when it's cold because no one wants to be cold and wet. There's no winning...

Maybe they could decide to open them on a day by day basis in the early or late parts of the season depending on the temperature and crowd forecast? I remember Sunday of opening weekend 2010 it was in the low 40's and they had the log flume open. I rode it since I was wearing a jacket anyway but almost every ride vehicle was going out empty and I thought it was strange they would pay to staff the ride when there couldn't be more than a few people on the ride at a time. I understand the rapids only open Memorial Day to Labor Day since you can really get soaked. One thing I liked at Dorney in early May a few years ago was Thunder Canyon had all the waterfalls turned off so you still got cooled off and not soaked.

Edited by Yoshi

The on-property waterpark killed the water ride. Why ride a flume or the rapids and walk around in wet clothing when you can pay admission to HH and get soaked while wearing appropriate attire.