VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

How do you feel about today's 2015 new attraction announcement?

hollyferry

Why is everyone so obsessed with Holiday in the Park. When Hershey and Lake Compounce do it, they don't run any of the good rides (the coasters). Only the kiddie rides are running. If they did this and ran all the rides, then I would think it was a good idea, but it must be so boring at the parks that don't run any of the good stuff. All you do walk around the park on a cold evening and see all the coasters, but know that they are no good because none of them are open.

Considering how big of an event christmas is in the NYC area, I'm suprised te park hasn't done a Holiday in the park event yet. Then again, the park doesn't have a lot of indoor attraction, but even of they had this event, they'd still be able to open fantasy forest, adventure alley, lakefront, MovieTown, and maybe Adcentire seaport minus nitro and Congo rapids

Sorry for te double post, but then again, the GP probably doesn't realize the mechanics behind running rides so a VAST majority of them would probably come to ride things like Kingda ka and El Toro only to find them closed and then they would just complain. That's why I want a few dark rides at the park, they'd be good rides during the summer and offer a slate of indoor attractions for this part of the year

Why is everyone so obsessed with Holiday in the Park. When Hershey and Lake Compounce do it, they don't run any of the good rides (the coasters). Only the kiddie rides are running. If they did this and ran all the rides, then I would think it was a good idea, but it must be so boring at the parks that don't run any of the good stuff. All you do walk around the park on a cold evening and see all the coasters, but know that they are no good because none of them are open.

If Great Adventure got Holiday In The Park there is a chance some of the larger coasters would run since Six Flags parks don't have as much of a problem running coasters in cold weather compared to Hershey where when it gets under 50 degrees, they start to shut down some of the coasters. Even if they don't run the outdoor coasters they could run Skull Mountain and The Dark Knight and although they aren't that thrilling, it would still be nice to be able to ride any coasters in November and December.

• Like 1

One question about our Looping Dragon. The same rides at carnivals and other parks are tire driven. This means that they can't run in any rain at all like Kingda Ka. Will GA's be the same, or will it have a different propulsion system that allows it to run in the rain.

If Great Adventure got Holiday In The Park there is a chance some of the larger coasters would run since Six Flags parks don't have as much of a problem running coasters in cold weather compared to Hershey where when it gets under 50 degrees, they start to shut down some of the coasters. Even if they don't run the outdoor coasters they could run Skull Mountain and The Dark Knight and although they aren't that thrilling, it would still be nice to be able to ride any coasters in November and December.

Over in PA, the state law is that the parks must follow the ride manufacturer recommendations for operations. So if brand X recomends their rides sould not be operated under 50 degrees, then under state law all the PA parks can't run that model ride under 50 degrees. Hershey does have family and thrill flats running besides just the kiddie rides. But if you want coasters that time of year you are just have to travel to a warmer region. Hershey has salt barrels set up all over the walkways to salt them in case of snow and ice and probably have a fleet of snow throwers on standby too.

However over in NJ, they don't have such laws and NJ parks can ignore ride manufacturer recommendations and run rides in colder temps that what they are designed for like GADV did after the freak Oct snow storm. Even then I don't see how a coaster can operate with ice on the tracks or a iced lift chain and both of GADV's indoor coasters would clash with the holidays.

^Ouch! Imagine Kingda Ka with an ice crystal formed on the track. At 128 mph that would be PAINFUL. And with Nitro's lift motor, which always has been trouble, if it were iced it wouldn't work.

going back to the 29's post, '98 and 2000 had nothing but they added over 20 rides in '99 and I still don't get how looping dragon fits with golden kingdom? I see golden kingdom as Himalayan and not Chinese, and then you have the southwest/plains area right by there. you could say the left side is a worlds fair and the other side is boardwalk(skyscreamer/lakefront area) and hobo Gotham w/ nitro (think it considers the rapids part of sea port but I might of just been dreaming that) last is the abandoned area and the picnic area. if I was dreaming nitro wasn't there, I think they would remove it unless it and Bizarro would go to Dubiland in that scenario but if I wasn't and it isn't...I have no idea why that is in my head?

^Well we can just say that the Golden Kingdom is Asian Themed. It's not a bad fit theme-wise, but location is not good. Also, in the original plans for DubaiLand, Kingda Ka was to be relocated there as A. It would be the heck of a people-bringer vs Ferarri World (against Formula Rossa), and B. SFGA would finally be free of the burden Ka was on them. They were not ready for a ride of that magnitude management-wise, and it seems they just tamed it, as it breaks down a lot less these days. They also bought a dual-loading and dual-unloading station, just to have it wasted. Look at it like this. It takes, on average, about 2 years to plan a coaster. TTD came out in 2003. KK came out in 2005. See the time span? Im telling you, Six Flags just wanted the height and speed record and got a lot more than they bargained. Seeing it go to Dubai would be good for them because then they would have something to bring people to Dubailand rather than Ferarri World because KK has the height and speed, and it doesn't have ridiculous trims on the launch that cut it back to 60. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see it go, but it seems far more likely than Bizarro, because things in Dubai have to be BIG. Sorry for the long post!

Edited by KK456

^That actually will probably be the slogan XD. They even have a B&M giga planned called "The Dubai Giant". I'm not kidding. As well as a dive machine called "Screamin Eagles", and A REALLY amazing Intamin Prefab Woodie called "Colossos". In the designs it says it's an improved version of El Toro, but a huge sign will be on it and the toll plaza will go THROUGH the coaster!

• Like 1

for the price SF charges for the season pass, you cant not buy one. if you hate the addition, take the quick drive next year up to SFNE and go ride that great RMC they are adding. And I hear they have a great Intamin coaster, too. And if you aren't too far from Dorney, but the platinum pass there too, and you can take drives to Cedar Point and Kings Dominion, 2 great parks.

Where did people get the notion that Ka would get relocated? Just because in the very preliminary artwork it shows a Ka-like layout doesn't mean 1) that isn't a clone, and 2) the drawings are literal. There is no way they'd relocate a ride that massive and popular (at the biggest money maker in the chain) overseas. That is a ton of money to transport a 10 year old ride.

Edited by Nitro1118

^Yes, the original Dubai plans did include relocating OUR Kingda Ka. Trust me, the ride could have easily been moved. All you need is some space on a container ship.

Source?

I found no plans stating this. Closest thing I found was from 2011 where Shapiro said they were looking into contracting Intamin for a bigger, faster version.

And while transporting it is feasible, it'd take a TON of money deconstructing the structure, hydraulic motors, and trains and shipping them overseas, where they'd have to pay for building it all over again. To me, this makes 0 sense, especially considering the money-maker they'd be ripping it out from.

Relocation was being considered back when the park was removing rides left and right, especially those that required high maintenance and operating costs. I have my sources which I will not reveal. Believe it or don't believe it - the choice is yours.

It's not that I don't believe it...I just never heard any such thing, and financially it doesn't make sense.

Would be devastating if it ever did happen, though.

I know they got estimates on costs for dismantling and moving the ride, and it made a LOT of sense if you saw the numbers. Basically the idea was they were selling the ride to the company building the park in Dubai and making them pay for the ride, taking it down and moving it.

There were plans to build an even taller attraction to take its place if it had happened which would have been much cheaper and easier to maintain.

It does make a lot more sense to contact intamin now that they've learned their lesson (hopefully) about pushing the envelope too far. A bigger, faster version, I would completley be ok with actually. As long as they don't take away our Ka! Also, since we're speaking about Kingda Ka right now, why is Kingda Ka's launch so rocky compared to TTD's? I mean, it's only an 8 mph difference. I heard somewhere it has something to do with the wheel replacement plan... Can someone elaborate on this?

Also, believe it or not doing all that to move KK would actually cost less than maintaining 2 intamin strata coasters depending on how reliable the new one would be. KK might have cost Six Flags over 50 million for all we know by now XD

Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see it go, but it seems far more likely than Bizarro

Funniest thing I've read all day. We just got Zumanjaro attached to Ka, and you think we'd get rid of Ka over Bizarro? Bizarro will 100% be the next ride to go, and I'd have no problem with it at all. Barely anybody goes on it!

Edited by YoungPup

I go on bizarro^ and everyone else I know that goes to SF always says Bizarro is one of their favorite rides the reason it never has a line is bc it's easier to load and dispatch as oppose to ka and superman. Even el toro can have a 15 min que wait on a normal day if everything goes right

^ Can you say what that taller attraction would have been? I can't imagine the park today without Ka so I'm wondering what they would have tried to replace it with.

A 500' drop tower is what I had heard, which makes sense with the 325' drop tower they had built at SFOT being built during that time period. The idea was replace the world's tallest coaster with the world's tallest ride to make up for losing KK.

Funniest thing I've read all day. We just got Zumanjaro attached to Ka, and you think we'd get rid of Ka over Bizarro? Bizarro will 100% be the next ride to go, and I'd have no problem with it at all. Barely anybody goes on it!

I was talking about before they installed Zumanjaro. Way back when they were originally planning DubaiLand. Again, if they relocate Bizarro, even though it's a good ride it's not that much of a people bringer- you won't come from all over just to ride a floorless. In Dubai, you need something HUGE to draw in crowds, and relocating KK would work for both Gadv and Dubailand, but thankfully they scrapped those plans (Don't touch my Kingda Ka! :P)

EDIT: In my opinion, world's tallest drop ride wouldn't make up for it! Gadv's skyline would look so different without Ka dominating it. Nitro is all the way in the back corner so...

Edited by KK456