VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2016 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

I find it interesting how evident the changes in the park (and most SF parks, for that matter) have been between changes in management.

Six Flags' current budget for capital is around $90 million/year across all 13 major theme parks under Reid-Anderson. Cedar Fair's budget across their 11 major theme parks is around $120 million ($170 million in 2015 due to CP hotel renovations). Just for comparison, does anyone know what Six Flags invested overall in one of their heaviest years, say, 2006?

I find the different strategies between different management/chains interesting. And Cedar Fair seems to be spending quite a lot compared to Six Flags- almost double that in 2015.

2006 had to be a huge number. El Toro was $12 million, Goliath at La Ronde and Over Georgia were $16 and $20 million. Tatsu was $21 million. That's $69 million just for 4 parks and I think back then they still owned Darien Lake, Elitch Gardens, Frontier City and Wild Waves and Enchanted Village.

With Cedar Fair spending about $30 million/year more than Six Flags on fewer parks, and spending only about $35 million of that on coaster projects (Six Flags spending a little less on more coaster projects), I would imagine a MUCH larger chunk of Cedar Fair's budget goes towards park improvements. I doubt Kings Dominion's 40th celebration cost more than a million or so, so I wonder where the rest goes.

I'm sure they don't spend all the money in their budget. Cedar fair i think charges more for the larger parks. I was just thinking, i've been to more cedar fair parks than six flags! They seem to have more themed rides too! Like the stunt coaster and flight of fear. The platinum season pass for all the cedar fair parks is also a crazy price like $180 something. Daily tickets are around $40. You can really see the difference in both parks though.

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically, if 2016 is a coaster year, I don't see any sort of Intamin product, and the only possible B&M coaster would be a compact design. It's unfortunate how Six Flags' current business model may limit the options when a park is "due" for a major investment (not that Great adventure is, but in the next few years I think a major coaster may be necessary to continue growth).

This coaster has been rumored in weird places- that one website, my friend who applied to work at GA ( also my parter in coaster designing ) and a person on YouTube who comented on my video saying that jersey giant is a B&M giga...

Also, this coaster would need OTSR, because of the law saying any ride over 300 feet, must have OTSR

Edited by Yoshi
merged a double post

I think 2016 is going to be a coaster year for SFOG too if you look at the pattern.

1999-Georgia Scorcher

2000-No new roller coasters

2001-De Ja Vu'

2002-Superman: Ultimate Flight (BTW, this version of the flyer is much better than the clones installed at SFGA and SFGAm)

2003 through 2005- No new roller coasters

2006-Goliath

2007 through 2010- No new roller coasters

2011- Dare Devil Dive

If the pattern set by Goliath continues we should get a new roller coaster in 2016.

2004 they got Wile E. Coyote Canyon Blaster.

Also, their SUF is EXACTLY the same as the other two, it just seems better because it was built for the site. They just cloned it (minus the dual stations) for the GAs.

Also, any kind of "pattern" for them really doesn't matter since there were two changes in Six Flags ownership (and philosophy styles) in that time.

Something to keep in mind with SFOG is that Six Flags has obligations for spending money on that park that they don't have for other theme parks.

i think it would be great if the park got a new coaster in 2016, but Imo, they don't need it. Everytime I go to the park with friends, I ways get asked, "what is there to do besides coasters?" And saddly, there isn't much.

While most people aren't excited about looping dragons, I think it's one thing out of many the park needs. The way I look at it is flats can only help parks, not so much hurt them. Sure capacity isn't great, but if worried about it, don't ride it if it has a long line. And if anything it's only going to draw people away from the other rides you would want to ride.

Personally I would love a flat package of about 3-5 family and thrill rides. The park can work on filling in the empty spots around the park, boost attendance, and make money to buy the new coaster for 2017! :P

I just wish they stopped focusing on the same side of the park. Looping Dragon, ZuJ, Safari..

Movietown and Old Country should have been their main priority years ago. All these new additions aren't gonna reduce the lines, it's just gonna keep attracting people to that side of the park while Movietown stays a barren wasteland.

• 2 weeks later...

I think B:TR at SFFT is going to be a hit, its looks very different to the intamin zac spins, theme park review has a video of trying the free spin concept out in Utah, and it looks awesome.

I think it looked incredibly stupid, and I believe he said it was "The future of roller coasters"..Yea, I don't think so.

Noooo! I kinda like Movietown and Old Country empty because as stated above, that means short lines on Nitro and Batman!

I completely disagree, it makes the park feel old and cheap because its like a dirty desert in that area.