VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure needs newer innovations

Intaminous_Me

Great Adventure only has one hydraulic launched coaster, Kingda Ka. The rest are all powered by lift hill. At holiday world, there is a new B&M LSM launched wing coaster for 2015 that is catching everyone's eyes. Could something like a hydraulic launched wooden coaster be made possible? Great adventure really needs to catch up in the coaster wars. Opinions?

• Like 1

Great Adventure also has the first ever cable lift on a wooden coaster, which is one if one of only a few in the world, which happens to be on one of the most innovative wooden coasters from the last decade.

I wouldn't consider the launched wing coaster an innovation, more of an alteration. The LSM launch has been in use for awhile now, and there have already been a good number of wing coasters. It is simply combining them to become a (not even, Intamin already did) world's first.

IMO, there are innovations, and there are gimmicks. Gadv has some of both, like any park. More innovations and/or more gimmicks isn't what sets a park apart from the others, and I don't think Gadv always needs to be the "first in the world" or the "innovator." Just my two cents.

• Like 1

^It's actually very possible, and Im sure Intamin could easily do it- It's just that no one asked them yet.

Plus, I don't think they need another hydraulic- unless it's a blitz coaster. THAT would be cool

I agree if they were to add any type of new rollercoaster it should be some sort of launched type.

GA should be adding rides significant to only GA. If Hershey, Dorney, Knoebels, SFAmerica, or SFNE have it then we should stay clear and try to build rides or coasters that you cant get anywhere else on the east coast. I'm not saying anything that's SO INNOVATIVE that it will always be breaking down for being to technologically advanced.. but rides that do exist that aren't common in this area...

Like a Huss Giant Frisbee.

or Zamerla Giant Discovery (pretty much same thing)

but u get the idea. I'm not dieing for a new roller coaster but if ur gonna add a thrill ride go all out and be different.

The problem is always when GA has had innovative new rides, they haven't worked well. We had twin duelling launched coasters and they never worked right. We have the world's fastest launching coaster (built by INTAMIN) and it had many problems and continues to cost the park a fortune to operate and maintain (which is why we can't get more things fixed or added).

I'm all for innovative new attractions as long as they work and aren't delayed with problems as they try to get a ride working right.

I'd rather see tried and true types of rides with new innovations in layout and theming. Spend money on custom rides that will withstand the test of time rather than be a flash in the pan "every park got one of those" rides. Nitro and El Toro are perfect examples of what a custom designed ride can be even if it uses standard roller coaster technology and that is why they both are top ranked rides.

^ I sort of agree, but the thing with tried and true is that often you end up getting multiple similar rides that all feel the same (ex. nearly all the B&M loopers since the early 2000s) which although fun I'm getting a bit tired of. However when something tried and true is pushed to its limit to make something new, which I think is what you're going for, that's when you get a good ride like Nitro and El Toro. Or more recently Banshee at KI or Cheetah Hunt. Something like that I wouldn't mind seeing at the park.

I understand the desire for a prototype or something very unique, but the top priority should always be quality. I'd much rather an Intamin blitz over B&M wingrider, RMC over S&S 4D free-spin, or B&M/Intamin giga over a launched wooden coaster that's main attraction is the launch.

SFMM currently has a ton of rides that were innovative, but they lack any coasters that chart top 10's like CP and our park do (at least until TC opens). Those are the rides that win a "coaster war" and are timeless.

I tend to agree..proto types and first of its kind are a pain. Lets look at the big picture. If a guest goes to a park and its signature attractions are down...for whatever reason..The get bummed. But to have a one of a kind lets look at a park not far from Ga Knobels, They have a inhouse team of ride designers, which gots us the Phonix, Twisted, Flying Turns, one of the top 10 dark rides, and they are always restoring thier classic flats. They have a camp ground, catering, shows, sit down restaurents, Now get ready for it they flood. But they go on. So the point is why do we a large company held theme park do not? And for GA to get into the coaster wars again. Id vote no. Were loosing out because every dime in the kitty needs to go to repair costs of these gaints. So we become dirty shabby run doiwn and tired...Which turns guests off. ANd they dont come.

• 2 weeks later...