VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Power outage at SFGA September 14, 2014

hollyferry

Power outage hits Six Flags in Jackson

Star-Ledger September 13, 2014

JACKSON - A spokeswoman for Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson said the park experienced a power outage today.

Bxg5xPLIMAA9TjL.jpg

Power outage at Six Flags Great Adventure - the line for refunds

The spokeswoman, Kaitlyn Turi, said in a statement that all guests were "safely unloaded from the affected rides within 20 minutes."

She said Jersey Central Power and Light were at the park trying to determine what caused the outage. She said power had been restored to portions of the park and "following a safety check some rides have begun to resume normal operations."

Sgt. Mary Nelson of the Jackson police said the loss of power was caused by a blown transformer in the area, but declined to provide any other information.

Park visitors posted on social media this afternoon about the power outages.

I was considering going and would have left to drive over around 2:45 to go to the park thinking I'd get there around 4 and stay until closing. I'm glad I saw the posts before I left. Someone on Facebook posted that Nitro, Batman, The Dark Knight and Green Lantern had reopened and 537 is jammed with traffic from people leaving. If I had gone to the park and if lines were short from everyone leaving I would have just went to Nitro and tried to see how many laps I could get in and gone for a couple rides on the other open coasters.

Edited by Yoshi

It went out about 1:20 or so. When i left the rides that were open were a few in safari kids, nitro,batman,dark knight, carrousel,parachutes, twister, and congo rapids. The parking lot looked to be a grid lock from leaving the employee lot, then when i got to where 571 meets the employee entrance, it was bumper to number dead stop, i made the left and traffic was backed up all the way to prosper town lake.

Here is a video from ABC7 News. Have to laugh, you would think the kids were stranded upside down or something. They were at the bottom of Bizarro's lift and had to walk down a staircase. Seriously? If your kids can't manage a single staircase maybe you better keep them closer to the ground. So dramatic.

Here is the video.

Those stairs are probably as tall as the ones in their house....common people. Another report had a person complaining they went on one ride--the parachutes, and waited 2.5 hours for it before the power went out. Sure the park was crowded today, but not 2.5 hours on parachutes crowded.

I was there. it was a rough day LOL. it was crowded so all of the lines for the rides with power restored were so long. we were between batman and the dark knight when power was restored to them so i went on dark night with my 9 year old and my 14 year old went to batman with her friend. made it before the line got to long. the lines for the rides were long but the wait to get out was worse. i walked out a 5 and didn't get home until after 8. its a 40 minute drive.The security personnel who keep everyone from exiting by the employee exit told us there was a fatal accident on 195 and it backed up 537. They also said they were instructed to keep everyone from leaving to manage tragic on the road. After an hour and a half they let us out of the employee exit if we were making a left out of the park. As we sat in the lot I could see that Superman, Green Lanturn KK, and El Torro were still not running at about 7:30

The park was trying to do right by the people who were there today and they gave a ticket to anyone who doesn't have a season pass so they can come back before the end of this season. If you had taken advantage of the take a friend for free you also were able to get a free ticket to return.

So we got there at 11:30, went on 2 rides Runaway Train and Dark Knight for the young ones while the older girls went on Bizarro and Batman, then left for the car at 5 then out of the parking lot after 7.

LOL big day at the park but I cant wait to go back for my next trip.

Edited by scott

Here is a video from ABC7 News. Have to laugh, you would think the kids were stranded upside down or something. They were at the bottom of Bizarro's lift and had to walk down a staircase. Seriously? If your kids can't manage a single staircase maybe you better keep them closer to the ground. So dramatic.

Here is the video.

This is how I felt while watching that video :52: . If they were hundreds of feet off the ground, I can understand why some people would be nervous but not when some of the train wasn't even on the lift hill.

At the end of the video the reporter said the park is open until 10. I wonder if they made a mistake or the park decided to stay open 2 hours later because of the ride closures.

Here's 6ABC's version of the power outage. http://6abc.com/news/brief-power-outage-at-six-flags-in-new-jersey/308274/

I like Philly 6ABC's coverage better than the New York's ABC over dramatization.

Edited by The Master

Anti-rollbacks and block systems are a thing... someone tell that to the media :P

^I agree. That video was short, provided all of the information, and got right to the point. NY likes to make a big deal out of everything...

Edited by KK456

The Asbury Park Press has an article about the accident that I mentioned as being responsible for the delay getting out of the park yesterday afternoon. The pictures look pretty bad but thankfully there was no fatality as we were told by park security. It looks like the state police stopped traffic going both ways on 195 causing the delay on 537 and the parking lot itself.

I didn't post a link to the article because it looked pretty bad but it is easy enough to find on the APP web page if you want to read about it.

I do not get NY media down here and it sounds like it may be a good thing. Philly media covers GADV alot too and they seem to be more positive than NY is. The park does straddle the two overlapping metro regions, so it makes sense there is overlapping coverage.

We were there that day. What a stupid interview they walked off the bottom of the hill, big deal. We were told at the park that someone in town hit a transformer and a pole was knocked down. We left at 7pm and the park was still not fully operational, but still crowded, although the boardwalk stayed open the whole time. The worse thing was leaving the parking lot, which took over an hour.

Here is the video.

I was actually on bizarro in that video.... I think I was in 6th row at the time, was kinda fun to walk down the stairs.

Wow I just watched that video, I saw a different one, but yeah those kids where ridiculous. I was in the 5th row inner left seat. That was a fun experiance, ride operators where very friendly and was talkative kept us entertained. Kind of wish I got some more rides, but hey. I got a squid hat!