VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #25: Open Season Earlier or Stay Open Longer

27 members have voted

1. 1. Between the two options below, which would you prefer?

• Earlier start to the season (opening in mid-March)
    • Later finish to the season (closing in mid-November)

^I agree. The autumn in NJ is actually pretty bad. By the time GADV closes it's freezing already, so if it was to close even later you would have to wear a winter coat to go!

I'd rather have the park open earlier. After months of not going to parks and riding coasters opening day can't get here soon enough and a few weeks or a month earlier opening would be great. Even if it meant that rides wouldn't be at 100% capacity like only 2 trains running on Nitro and Bizarro because they were still working on the 3rd train with a shorter offseason or even some minor rides still closed in addition to the water rides.

I think that it would be better for the park if they stayed open later into the year for weather reasons. Both times of year can be cold but it's rare to get snow and ice in November and there is a higher chance of it happening in mid March, but if I'd still go with the earlier opening because even though at the end of the season, it would be nice to know you still have a few more weeks left to ride coasters at the end of October, it would be nicer to have the park open sooner after a cold and boring winter.

A season pass increase wouldn't bother me if that is what it took to offset some of the costs of a longer operating season. Figuring that I have paid an average of $110 a year for the season pass and parking (including past years where the pass and parking had to be bought individually) and if I average around 18 trips a year, that's just over $6 a visit . If they raised the pass another $15, it wouldn't still average out to under $7 a visit.

I wonder if the results would change if this was asked at the end of the season instead of prior to the opening? I voted for early opening but I bet at the end of the season I would want it open longer.

Edited by scott

I say open up the season earlier, but id like them to extend the season like Hershey does for the holidays. like someone above said. raise the SP prices. $61.99 for a gold season pass when it was bought at the labor day sale price is way too cheap. it should be min, double of that. CF charges $180. Moreys charges, last I checked, was over $200, and that was a sale price, it might even be way more that that, that's off the top of my head. Hershey charges $155. I think its safe to say, SF has walmart prices on season passes.

Neither for me, March can can still be pretty bad. I remember bad snow storms near the end of March. The weather doesn't really start to improve until mid April most years. Early Nov can be rough and it can be mild. Some years there are still days in the 60s and 70s, other years the temps drop hard like a brick into the 30s. I think GADV runs their season as long as it can be for our climate. If you want longer park seasons you are going to have to move south into more mild climates. we are slow to warm up in the spring and quick to cool down in the fall.

To me roller coasters and many outdoor rides lose their fun in the cold. I remember one cold early spring trip to GADV there was a zero wait for El Toro but I could only ride it once because the windchill on it was very painfull, guess that is why it didn't have a line. There was also another time with a cold ride on Nitro left my hands numb from the windchill, even with gloves on, just had to rush to a rest room to warm them under a hand dryer. My skin was chapped afterwards which wasn't fun. Cold weather also improves the chance of you catching a cold. Never really cared for the change of seasons, fall is the slow decline to a long stretch of bad weather and being bored. Even with heavy winter clothes, the cold will still sink though into your core, they only delay it. The windchill from a moving coaster train will speed your cool down quite a bit.

• 1 month later...

Here it is March and we are still sub-freezing with 3 inches of more snow coming down. Around here March is pretty much a 4th month of winter. April to Oct is the best that can be done in our climate, even early April and late Oct are pushing it. If you want parks with longer seasons you need to move to warmer areas with more mild winters, the northeast has a narrow mild season.

Edit, they are predicting even more snow this Thrusday, up to 9 inches followed by another Arctic blast.

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...

It would probably be difficult to stay open later because all the Fright Fest stuff would need to come down, and knowing them they would take forever to do it, so you would have Halloween decorations up through November. I used to love Fall at the park before Fright Fest. Cool, crisp weather with small crowds.

Maybe I'm a little too critical, but I don't really think 95% in 2 weeks is something to brag about. The people who come to the park during those 2 weeks have a diminished experience. Remember for some people this will be their only visit to the park. They do not have annual passes and come frequently to see the "progress" that has been made over 2 weeks.

Maybe I'm a little too critical, but I don't really think 95% in 2 weeks is something to brag about. The people who come to the park during those 2 weeks have a diminished experience. Remember for some people this will be their only visit to the park. They do not have annual passes and come frequently to see the "progress" that has been made over 2 weeks.

But there's no problem with decorations being in the process of putting up? The park would be closed anyway, it wouldn't be open during the week. So there would be nothing for them to see.

Webs and park wide stuff is down within the first few days. Trails take about 2 days to dismantle. The rest is large heavy stuff or things that need a high reach. That stuff takes a little longer because you can only fit so much on a truck. To take it to storage. I don't think you have any idea what goes into putting up and taking down if you think 2 weeks is a long time.

Actually I have a very good idea what goes into these things. It was my job at Disney, and we didn't take 2 weeks to do it. We got it all out of the park and into a backstage area overnight, then took our time repacking it and putting it away out of sight of the guests. It just requires proper planning and execution.

I think 2 weeks is a good turnaround time for a park like Great Adventure. Disney is in its own class so comparing Disney to Great Adventure is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Disney also has resources and hands to help that our park doesn't. It also sounds like its a 'job' at disney while at GA its one department and only a few people who choose/volunteer to do it. On average its only about 10 people. If GA needed it done in a few days I'm sure it could be done, but like i said the park is not open so there is no a need to rush.