VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Park Updates

29yrswithaGApass

Source: News Plus Notes

Dorney Park Removing Thrill Ride Before 2015 Season

Hang%2BTime%2BClosed%2B1.jpg
Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom will be removing Hang Time ahead of the upcoming 2015 season, the park has confirmed. Hang Time was a Huss Top Spin that was located near the entrance to Talon, just off the park's Main Midway, and will have operated at the park for 17 seasons.

Hang%2BTime%2BClosed%2B2.jpg

The 59 foot tall attraction was added in 1998, a part of an expansion that saw the addition of the Coasters restaurant, Thunder Creek Speedway go-karts and Island Water Works in the water park. Hang Time was added as a modern thrill ride that utilized a variety of ride programs to allow for an experience that included anywhere from zero to several flips of the ride carriage.

Hang%2BTime%2BClosed%2B3.jpg

Hang Time was able to seat 40 riders per cycle, and had a set of water fountains directly under the ride. For one year the fountains were programmed so that they sprayed onto the riders and the main ride carriage during the cycle, something that was quickly retired before long.

Hang%2BTime%2BClosed%2B4.jpg

While the removal of the attraction is unfortunate, it's not totally unexpected for fans for Dorney Park. Rumors have swirled for years that the ride was nearing the end of its life at the park - and we've seen several other large parks remove these rides as well.

The park isn't saying what will become of Hang Time's location; it's really not a big space so I wouldn't expect much. Dorney Park is currently excited to be adding a new set of Larson Flying Scooters named the Cedar Creek Flyers, a new dining experience in the Smokehouse Barbecue, and an expanded special events schedule - with more details to come soon.

It seemed like the ride was having a lot of issues over the last few seasons. Almost every time I went to Dorney recently, it seemed like the ride was closed for part of the day because of problems. It also seemed like the problems got worse after they had the water as a part of the ride and not just for decoration.

Maybe they could fit another small flat in that spot.

The thing with Dorney is they have a respectable flat ride collection that, while unfortunate, this doesn't seem to be too big of a loss. Luckily Great Adventure hasn't had too many problems (that I'm aware of) with Twister, so I imagine it has a while longer, pending maintenance. Thankfully Gadv has been building up their collection of flats the last few years- let's hope they continue to do so.

From what i remember from being on the boardwalk everyday last summer, id see them testing it with no riders, or completely closing it every day at least once, hopefully they have fixed the problem over the offseason.

Yeah a lot of days id see them running it with no riders or just not running at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Wildwater Kingdom isn't opening this year. There is also no Haunt and no family friendly Halloween event like at the Ohio parks this year. The last day of the season is Labor Day.

Looks like the rumors Screamscape reported are partly right. Worlds of Fun will also close Labor Day, several other CF parks won't open this year, and Knotts has cancelled their Halloween event. Really not surprised as Dorney is treated as the black sheep of the chain. I would not be surprised if CF sells Dorney off soon really. Trip reports say that Dorney's COVID operations are terrible, I probably will not go there this year, especially with no WWK. 

Edited by The Master