VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Photo Trip Report: April 3rd, 2015 - Opening Day 2015

29yrswithaGApass

Nice pictures.

That picture of the sign that shows where to buy the dining pass is helpful. This is the first year I didn't buy and process my pass at the end of the previous season and am glad to see I can buy the dining pass at the season pass center rather than the ticket booths and then not have to worry about losing the receipt.

We ran into a glitch with our dining plan today. For some reason when we renewed last fall our passes were extended for 2015 but the DP wasn't applied for 2015. The lady who assisted us in Guest Relations was wonderful and took care of everything for us. In 2013, I took a photo of my receipt and had it on my iphone in case something happened on opening day 2014 but everything worked fine. I didn't do the same thing last fall and of course there was a problem. (Nore to self: take photo of my receipt this fall when renewing for 2016.)

I'm surprised too see that they are planning on reopening the Old Country up as a path after all these seasons of it being closed. It looks so empty without Musik Express there. Now only if they could do the same thing with connecting the two sections of The Golden Kingdom.

While I am only speaking from these pictures, it continues to baffle me how Six Flags just doesn't get the importance of "show" when it comes to their theme parks. The dilapidated stage on the lake is nothing but an eyesore. The once, very appropriately themed, La Cantina is now nothing more than a tacky looking food stand found at any boardwalk. And, boarded walkways covering areas that should have been cleared of old attractions long ago, really does detract from the entire park experience. I just wonder if today's Six Flags management ever will grasp what it takes to operate a theme park successfully.

While I am only speaking from these pictures, it continues to baffle me how Six Flags just doesn't get the importance of "show" when it comes to their theme parks. The dilapidated stage on the lake is nothing but an eyesore. The once, very appropriately themed, La Cantina is now nothing more than a tacky looking food stand found at any boardwalk. And, boarded walkways covering areas that should have been cleared of old attractions long ago, really does detract from the entire park experience. I just wonder if today's Six Flags management ever will grasp what it takes to operate a theme park successfully.

I think "show" is very important too and there are areas of the park that need some upgrades and rehab, but the examples you listed are sort of one-offs. The stage on the lake is just temporarily situated out there. I am sure it will be relocated back to a location that is backstage soon. The La Cantina is currently being refurbished and behind construction walls. It has been stripped down while being remodeled. And as far as the boarded walkway, that is still just a backstage route with the intention of using it during peak events and traffic flow similar to the paths that run behind and parallel to Main Street in the Disney Parks. They are more functional than decorative.

looks like autobahn's building is still up? does it still hold its cars? if not does fender benders have them or are they just gone?

As far as I know the Autobahn cars are still on site. The ones used on Fender Benders were purchased new for that ride.

I have to wonder if the walkway through Old Country is to offer better access for the catered events? It was always so difficult to get people back there through Movietown.

Also, I wonder if it's because the area near the Chiller building will become a construction site for a new attraction before the season is over, necessitating the walkway to keep the catering area open? I believe they started working on the Justice League dark rides at SFOT and SFStL before their seasons ended and that would be a good location for a Justice League dark ride...

The way it was described to me is the walkway will be open for larger catered picnics and events to give a more direct access route to guests. It may also be open during major events like Fright Fest when Movie Town will now be used as a scare zone eliminating the dead end. It hasn't been determined if the walkway will be open during the Awakening parade as it may be too narrow for such up-close encounters.

The walkway will also give guests easy access during Holiday in the Park to the Showcase Theatre where a "grand stage production" is planned.

Should have said it earlier, but great pics, Harry.

Quick question for anyone who's visited: Did you happen to see any signs with a price for upgrading a one-day ticket to a season pass? I'm late to the game this year and just trying to price out different options.

• 2 weeks later...