VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 6 - Add "soft" restraints to Kingda Ka

Soft restraints would be great but I'd rather see many other things done to fix Kingda Ka first. At the minimum use the back loading dock as an unload station. Find a way to get the state to allow Ka and Zumanjaro to run together. Then, we can talk about new restraints (even though it's a very simple fix). Also in the next few years we should see a repaint as Dragter has started that process already, but realistically I don't see that happening unless the parks invests significant capital into park appearance (pathways, parking lot, new paint, etc).

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I think it would be a really awesome move for the park to repaint Nitro and Kingda Ka all at once in an offseason. Nitro has never been repainted, right? It's been 15 years now. That's pushing it quite a bit.

Edited by Password121
  • Like 1

^ Yes as far as I know Nitro has never been repainted. I agree that it really needs it.

Also weren't there rumors of Ka's tower getting netting on it so it can run with Zumanjaro? What happened to that?

Soft restraints would be nice although I've never really had a problem with the current ones. I just always ride in the front car so it isn't rough.

Edited by RC98

^I apologize, Harry. Thanks for the bit on Scream Machine.

As for the restraints, Maverick (which I believe is pictured) did receive new soft restraints in 2015. I rode Maverick many times before the change, and while personally I'm tall enough to not have an issue with the hard restraints, I'm looking forward to trying them out next summer.

Also, I'm almost surprised nobody mentioned this--how about an entire "Ka refurb"--complete with four new lap-bar only trains like Top Thrill Dragster? Obviously we'd have to hear a mechanic's input, but I do believe Ka's top-heavy trains have been a root cause of the roughness in recent years. Dragster is one of the smoothest coasters I've ridden and has no vibrations in the back seats. I also imagine it would improve capacity.

Sorry to get somewhat off-topic again! What I do love about this calendar is that some of them have come true in the past.

While they'd be a welcome addition, I'd much rather see either regular lap bars, or Zumanjaro-style restraints on KK. Regardless, most anything would be an upgrade.

Kingda Ka isn't a long ride but Skyrush at Hersheypark has restraints kind of like Zumanjaro, and it crushes your legs during the ride, so I'm not sure if that would work well on Kingda Ka.

Kingda Ka isn't a long ride but Skyrush at Hersheypark has restraints kind of like Zumanjaro, and it crushes your legs during the ride, so I'm not sure if that would work well on Kingda Ka.

They do, but it hurts largely due to the insane ejector airtime on the ride. I think on KK it wouldn't be such a pain (literally).