VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

How would you handle the loose articles situation?

owtoty

If you ran the park, what would you do about loose articles? Personally I would have some sort of small box almost like a safe that attaches to the seat in front of you. You put your things in there, close it, and it stays locked during the ride. Then when the restraints unlock, so do the boxes. Of course there would have to be padding in there so your phone for example wouldn't just shatter though. Then they could have you put your drink cup off to the side. I think many people want to attempt to hold their loose articles on the ride with them because they either don't want their stuff to be stolen, or they don't want to pay for a locker.

They could also hook up the boxes to the ride's system so that when the computer checks if the restraints are locked, it also checks if the boxes are locked. If this solution is too expensive they could always just add a zippered pouch, but they have the possibility of not always being zippered and the whole box locking solution could possibly let Zumanjaro run with Kingda Ka.

That reduces the space for your feet on the ride. I would have a security guard positioned at every roller coaster and major thrill ride to make sure no one is video taping or having loose articles exposed on rides.

I think Disney has a pretty good system. The thrill rides have a pouch with a semi-elastic band on the top that keeps the articles inside pretty well. I've never had a problem with it. But guests would be warned that six flags is not responsible for lost or stolen articles, and are advised to use the ride lockers. In a dream world, these lockers would be free, like Universal. With that said, I don't have a problem with the park offering paid all-day lockers in the front of the park.

Well, first, I would make lockers at each ride free. I think it is absurd that you have to pay $1 (i believe that is the price, correct me if I am wrong) for a one time use locker. This way, any backpacks, purses, etc that people have valuable things in can be kept in a safe place, for no cost. Then I would also place bins at every ride (much like Rolling Thunder had) so that people can place any loose articles they have in there.

I agree I wouldn't want to see that implemented.

From what I understand at Universal the lockers are only free for however long the line is plus some extra time (last time I was there you could still bring items with you in line if they fit in a pocket so I didn't use the lockers). If a coaster is a walk on, it would be a pain to not be able to re-ride and have to go to the locker after each ride, get your items and then get a new locker with time started over. On a day you get 20+ rides in, that is a lot of time wasted dealing with lockers not to mention having to wait to go through a metal detector each time.

I would keep the system the way it is but have a zero tolerance policy for anyone taking out a phone or camera on a coaster or other ride where cameras and phones are not allowed to be taken out will be ejected from the park. I know signs say you will be ejected and the ride ops on the microphone also say you will get fined but I have never seen anyone get in trouble more than a talking to/warning. Eventually once word gets out what will happen, I think it will stop most people rather than the situation now. It will be like the smoking policy. I remember there were news articles online from people being ejected for smoking outside of a designated area when it was new and people didn't like that they were removed from the park and now although you still see someone smoking outside of a designated area, it doesn't happen nearly as much as it used to when the policy was newer.

Even though my kids all have outgrown the stroller we still bring it every time. Even when me and the wife go alone. It's the perfect locker. Drink bottles, jackets, ponchos, the backpack, and the occasional left over chicken strips. Can't beat it.

What is the policy for cam glasses? Been wanting to get a pair.

Red Zone decided to remove them at the end of the 2007 season. It was a shame too because Nitro had gotten new cubbies that I want to say locked (but can't be sure about that) recently before that.

There were multiple possible reasons though I don't think any were given as an official answer, safety, faster dispatch times, not having to deal with lost/stolen items and possibly as a way to make money. What made it really annoying for anyone with a souvenir cup was that until the current management took over, even those weren't allowed to be left in the station so you had to put the souvenir cup in a locker each time (and I don't think there was an $8 all day locker to locker transfer option like there is now).

I wouldn't mind seeing the cubbies return if they could lock them or a sign saying they are not responsible for lost items. I'm willing to risk a cheap jacket I bought at KMart getting stolen that I would leave in the station but wouldn't want to leave something like a phone. At Cedar Point and Kings Island, their bins in the station lock with a modified seatbelt that a ride op has the key for. At Dorney, the entire bin of cubbies is closed with a sliding door that leaves the current trains items from riders covered and the train in the station uncovered. The problem with that is anyone could just slide it although it's likely a ride op would probably notice.

I'm pretty sure it was to have faster dispatch times, and it does work to an extent. It gets everyone out of the station faster, and the people coming on don't have to deal with putting down all of their stuff. Parks with cubbies in the station usually seem painfully slow to me, they just have much less people. People trying to bring on loose articles and argue with employees are what slows down the process - in a perfect world, this is the most time efficient option.

I would do what universal does, free lockers, and have a zero tolerance policy. metal detectors on all coasters at front entrance

Please no

I was there when they first started doing it on RRR and the line gained an extra ten minute wait.

Cedar fair has the best system in my opinion by using different labeled boxes according to the trains for their loose articles, whenever it's possible, unless it's a multiple station ride, then they use lockers.

Edited by Yoshi
Merged Double Post

I liked the idea of having the ride lockers accessible through the line like in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. The biggest problem being (and this is not exclusive to just this ride) the cramped conditions, especially on a very hot or rainy day.

Since so many people have the sports bottle, they have to walk over to put them in a holder. Having lockers like CP and DP has wont make the wait times longer I think. In fact I believe not having bins causing more problems with so many people getting past the entrance with packs and then arguing with the dispatchers that they be on the ride with them.

Plus having bins (that have doors that slide back and forth to cover the bins that people are riding on) would be better FOR people with sports bottles instead of having holders that people can take someone else's sports bottles.

Red Zone decided to remove them at the end of the 2007 season. It was a shame too because Nitro had gotten new cubbies that I want to say locked (but can't be sure about that) recently before that.

There were multiple possible reasons though I don't think any were given as an official answer, safety, faster dispatch times, not having to deal with lost/stolen items and possibly as a way to make money. What made it really annoying for anyone with a souvenir cup was that until the current management took over, even those weren't allowed to be left in the station so you had to put the souvenir cup in a locker each time (and I don't think there was an $8 all day locker to locker transfer option like there is now).

I wouldn't mind seeing the cubbies return if they could lock them or a sign saying they are not responsible for lost items. I'm willing to risk a cheap jacket I bought at KMart getting stolen that I would leave in the station but wouldn't want to leave something like a phone. At Cedar Point and Kings Island, their bins in the station lock with a modified seatbelt that a ride op has the key for. At Dorney, the entire bin of cubbies is closed with a sliding door that leaves the current trains items from riders covered and the train in the station uncovered. The problem with that is anyone could just slide it although it's likely a ride op would probably notice.

I remember those, and they did lock. They had green and red indicator lights to show if they are locked or not. It was about the best setup. Disney's elastic bags are good but their coasters are more mild, they probably would work on Runaway and El Toro.

I know many say the lockers at the ride entrances are supposed to speed up dispatches, but in reality it doesn't. GADV last year had still had painfully slower dispatches than parks that still had free station cubbies. Dorney's sliding doors work pretty well but sometimes they will lose track of sliding the door to the right position for the correct train. Also sometimes they don't fully pull the door into the proper position so you may have to move it slightly if you have a front or back row bin. Every system has its pros and cons. The best system is just not bring anything expensive or fragile into a park.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I wear shorts with pockets that have zippers and i throw everything inside there, including one of those tiny plastic water bottles that I refill at the water fountains.

How big are the free refill bottles? Is it possible to fit in your pocket? I'm getting one with the gold dining pass but I'll probably just leave them at home.

I don think you could fit them in a pocket. I don't remember how big they are. Maybe 32 oz?

I don't have zipper pockets when I go but I always keep my phone in a front pocket anyway. I've never had a problem. My pockets are deep enough that my keys or phone don't move. They would have to wrap around the bend in the pocket created when I sit down.

The souvenir bottles cannot fit in your pocket. I usually leave them in the bottle holders that are at most (all?) major attractions. Mine was stolen in Nitro's station last November for the bonus weekend but it was my last visit of the year anyway. I'd recommend coloring a part of it or leaving a strap with nothing valuable on it to differentiate yours from all the others if you use the bottle holders.

• 1 month later...

^ Be careful about what you clip it to! I lost a car key to Nitro last summer doing exactly that. The keychain I had it on snapped from the pressure ( . . . or at least I'm guessing that; all I know for sure is that they keys were there when we dispatched and gone when we returned).

As for loose articles, the lockers *do* help dispatch times, but not much. Six Flags would invest in proper training and staffing if they cared all that much about efficiency.

Six Flags really needs to do something about the bottles. I really don't want to leave my cup at those cup holders, in fear someone will steal it. I think they should scan your pass whenever you want to get a drink, so they can see if you actually have a bottle attached to your card. Not sure if this would actually prevent someone from stealing the cups, but it might.