VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Flying Wave

29yrswithaGApass

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the flying wave. As stated in the spotlight I was guilty for many years of calling it just the swings as that was the best way to refer to it as a whole. I don't really get on this much anymore, but as a youngster it was definatelyt a must ride during each visit to the park. Definately a shame that noone saw fit to give the ride a sign until 2005 considering it is another of those rides that is basically a park staple to see.

Even with the addition of The Dark Knight coaster, Movie Town will be hurting for attractions in 2008. I still wonder if the Flying Wave will be relocated to Movie Town and rethemed as Crime Wave like at Six Flags Over Georgia. (Especially since the paint job on ours is so faded and the lights are in such poor condition.)

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4378.jpg

Awesome Idea. I still am curious to see if Movietown is going to be completely rethemed into more of a Gotham City role or whatnot, but I think this could be a good addition. I think they still are going to need antoher big attraction in Movietown simply because with the Dark Knight being a modified/intricately themed Wild Mouse, it is still going to be missing that certain something. The wave is definately due for some nice repainting, maybe some nice bright LED's, and a brand new setting. It would definately bring me back to the ride, and movie town can use all the rides to keep people in the area as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

im glad fantasy fling is still around but why'd they have to remove the flying wave a rethemed movie town to gotham city and a rethemed flying wave to a crime wave like SFoG would be an excellent idea!

• 1 month later...

I would love to see this ride ov er in movietown as now its laying in the bone yard. i cant see how this ride needs to be refurbished so often? they did it many times over the years and it lasted this long. lets do it one more time and retheme it to fit in movietown!

I suppose we could see a new swing or a rehabbed original swing return to the park, but if that is the case it's a closely guarded secret right now. The rehab to a "crime wave" would probably work at this point in Movietown with everything else being Batman at the moment, but anything would be nice. We can keep hoping though for a swing to make a return to the park. Everytime I look over at the Turbo Bungy and see a whopping 1 maybe 2 people using them I feel like "wow the Swing always had more than this riding :(

Unfortunately, the Flying Wave was a very troubled ride mechanically. I wouldn't expect to see it return, but I would think a NEW one could easily be added in the next season or two. If I had to guess, there are probably more complaints at GR about the park not having swings and bumper cars than anything else, and probably 100x more complaints about not having those rides than the removal of Chiller.

I think they know they need a new swing ride in the park. They are staples of an amusement park, just like a Carousel and a Ferris Wheel. Especially with the park's new emphasis on family attraction's. I don't think we'll wont have to wait long for a new one, the even left up the post for the sign. Does anyone think they will restore the original if possible? That would be the classier move in my book. *R*

Even if they put a new model swing ride that would be great. I still don't know why the park did not move the bumper cars during the off season. Those are two staples GAdv is really missing out now.

Edited by The Master

The swings had been making some pretty scary sounds the past ten years. SFGAdv's lack of a replacement *may* have been a result of the changes in GM's the past few years. By 2008 however, somebody at Six Flags is dropping the ball. GAdv should have its swings, (and bumper cars, Houdini, Musik Express, a scrambler and a couple of other rides) open or replaced, before some other parks received 2008 additions.

SFoT has 12 family spin rides to SFGAdv's 6, and received Tony Hawk for 2008. The coaster is the 5th 42'' coaster to co-exist with 4 48'' coasters, 3 water rides and 8 "other" flat rides. SFStL has received it's second coaster in as many years and it's third 48'' coaster. SFStl has 3 42'' coasters, 12 "flat rides" and 3 water rides. The additions are great for their parks. SFGAdv's replacements may not have brought in as many people as a new coaster at these other parks but it would have made the park more competitive in its two huge markets. What SFoT and SFStL wouldn't have received in 2008 wouldn't have hurt them as much as what has been removed from 2001-2008 has been hurting SFGAdv.

Philly's market is larger than Houston or St Louis and New York is larger than all three. I'm not sure I understand SF's logic. Maybe SFoT and SFStL will have other 42'' and 48'' coasters removed in the future. It seems like SF's attitude is that El Toro, Kingda Ka and Nitro can sustain SFGAdv through anything. The economy has already helped lower admission prices and I hope the sagging attendance figures over a 6 season period will make SF take another look at removing so many family and flat rides.

I don't notice the missing rides at this stage of the season because I have my season pass holder blinders on. I hope the everday guest is with me.

GAdv has the potential to bring in the most. I think it's good karma to invest the most into it. It has become a good destination park for coaster lovers. I would love to see it become a better-value local park with more staple rides. All of the expensive labor exuses has been bad karma for the park.

I wouldn't have wanted to be the executive to make the decision to green light Kingda Ka, but if I knew it would bring the end to SO many rides, it would have been an easy decision to pass on. But I'm not crazy over Kingda Ka; It's easy for me to see it as a big maintenance budget buster. I would rather ride Flying Wave, Autobahn, Musik Express, Spin Meister, Movie Town Water Effect, Houdini, a scrambler, monster or a flying carpet and as a coaster enthusiast I would be just as happy with El Toro, Nitro, Batman and GASM, and Rolling Thunder, Runaway Train and The Dark Knight.

I think every amusement park that I've ever been to has a set of swings, bumper cars and a Musik Express/Flying Bobs ride for a reason. I hope Six Flags starts to take the flat ride loss seriously for that reason.

I didn't know I was in a bad mood yesterday until I came back to look for respsonses. Sorry for the double post, but I also wonder if they would go with another Zierer waveswinge. Knoebel's Zamperla model was a little slow, but the same model at Holiday World is one of the best rides at the park. The Yo Yo swings are allot of fun too. Indiana Beach's model is on a small pier over the lake and SFoT has the same ride and they call it Gunslinger. That could be a neat idea for Frontier Advengtures. The Yo Yo Swing has a 42'' height requirement to Zierer's 48''.

Six FLags better do something soon, like 09 season to replace flats asafp, because if they dont there going to loose the family aspect buisness there tring to gain. I have 2 kids one is only 3 and he other is 11 and she isnt going on any mega coasters. She used to go for the flats, and now there are none. The swings are a park staple and must be returned. or updated, no excuses this time! We want the swings back!