VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Flying Wave

29yrswithaGApass

Six FLags better do something soon, like 09 season to replace flats asafp, because if they dont there going to loose the family aspect buisness there tring to gain. I have 2 kids one is only 3 and he other is 11 and she isnt going on any mega coasters. She used to go for the flats, and now there are none. The swings are a park staple and must be returned. or updated, no excuses this time! We want the swings back!

^ I think we all know what one of the windows on the 2008 version of the Great ADVENTure Christmas Calendar will be! ;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine there will be flats coming...if not for 2009, then 2010. This is a cycle for the park, where they eliminate flats and then they get so many complaints they bring them back. The difference this time SHOULD be that they don't add more than they can staff and maintain. While it was really impressive to say "we've added 25 new rides", it really wasn't practical since they still couldn't staff them all or maintain them.

I would imagine there will be flats coming...if not for 2009, then 2010. This is a cycle for the park, where they eliminate flats and then they get so many complaints they bring them back. The difference this time SHOULD be that they don't add more than they can staff and maintain. While it was really impressive to say "we've added 25 new rides", it really wasn't practical since they still couldn't staff them all or maintain them.

Agreed I also believe rides will be coming but in honest moderation. This park team seems to be doing well with their staffing of rides and havinng things running smoothly. I can't see them adding so many attractions that they ca't feasibly staff them at this point. Perhaps we'll see a gradual addition timeline in which the see how a few new rides each year operate and are staffed and then judge what they can ad the following year.

• 2 months later...
Guest warnerleroy

I got some Flyin Wave news, but I don't know if it is good or bad? If you look in the operators booth while exiting Big Wheel, under the control panel is a sign saying"The Flying Wave is closed for this Season, please use Taz Twister as a smaller alternative" or something like that. But the problem is that I don't believe the sign was ever put up! Was it made to be put up for the 2008 season hinting the Wave may return in 2009? Or what it never put up because management hads determined the Wave will nevewr return? Or was it made for a previous season when the flying Wave was SBNO? Anybody know more?

Edited by warnerleroy

• 2 months later...

I added a few photos I took in 1983 of and from the Flying Wave. They aren't the best pictures, but neither was "Kodak Pocket Camera" I had at that time! They can be found in the Extras - Flying Wave album.

Be sure to check out the other "Spotlight Extras" albums too.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Flying Wave caught your attention when you entered the park. Maybe because you would always walk in and then see the Giant Wheel right there with Flying Wave off to the left side. They always seemed to have Flying Wave up and running before some of the other rides in the area just after the gates opened, and people would flock to it like it was a magnet. Should I ever get the chance to go back, it's going to look eerie not seeing it there where it belongs.

• 1 year later...

When I went to the annual Saint Greg's Carnival, I loved the swings. Last year, there was high winds, so you would stall when you tilted up (therefore tilting the chair a little), and you would drift slightly outward. Even though it terrified me, it still wouldn't stop me from going on Flying Wave if it were still here. I'm sure it wouldn't be ran on a very windy day, if it would affect it.

This makes me miss our Flying Wave even more!

Seeing this ride at California Adventure leaves me with just one question: Why can't Great Adventure replace the Flying Wave with a new Flying Wave?... The ride is obviously being produced somewhere if Disney has purchased a model.

Silly Symphony Swings was really just a redo of their Orange Stinger swing ride from 2001, but I agree - install a new swing ride. They are still available by Zierer. Click HERE.

We may need to correct Zierer with this comment on their website:

Along with its remarkable durability, the ride’s timeless beauty will make it a permanent feature in your park. To our knowledge all of the nearly 200 Wave Swingers that have been built over the last 40 years are still in operation today.

• 3 months later...