VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Future Trip to SFNE on Sept 7th and 18th

robertleax

This weekend I am planning to pick up my daughter from St. John's University to Staten Island and taking her to SFNE. Planning to get there as close to their opening as possible.

Does anyone what coasters to hit up 1st? I know we got to do Wicked Cyclone 1st and I want to hit Superman before the VR. Any other "must do" coasters? We will hopefully hit them all to bump up our coaster count. Also any "must do" flat rides?

We will stay overnight (any cheap hotels close by that are recommended?) somewhere also so we can hit the park Sunday for a few hours only. Don't want to waste money on a flashpass unless we have to also.

Since we have a Dining plan any "must eat" places in the park?

Tks for any info.

I was there on a Sunday last spring and it was a nice small park. Getting there early you may be able to hit every coaster and fairly quickly. I cant think of a coaster I didn't enjoy, even Mind Eraser wasn't bad to me. A little rough on my head but I survived.

My favorite was Wicked Cyclone then Superman.

Goliath was the only coaster I stopped and looked at for a little while before I got on. I'm not massive but at 240 lbs. (at the time) I have a thing about dangling on a ride so thinking about being lifted straight up and dangling before I am dropped made me think about skipping it. I got on because I didn't know when I would be back for another shot. It was quick but also fun.

Their SkyScreamer was also fun. For some reason I am always a little nervous on the screamer at Great Adventure but was relaxed on this one. Because of it I thought the screamer at great adventure was higher. Our friends here corrected me :-).

Like I said, the park is much smaller then Great Adventure is so you can get from ride to ride quickly. My trip was cut short due to a big rain storm but in under 5 hours I as able to ride all of the coaster they have and I got on Scream, Skyscreamer, and Tomahawk then before leaving I caught the magic show.

You will have a great time.

Matt pretty much covered it.

Wicked and superman are an obvious must do, pandemonium is also a overall 'fun' ride. I feel like with your day and a half or so visit you'll be able to do everything you want.

I also have a strange request - if you're taking photos can you get a photo of the joker ads you see since I'm on them and every photo I have come across isn't that great of quality lol

Matt pretty much covered it.

Wicked and superman are an obvious must do, pandemonium is also a overall 'fun' ride. I feel like with your day and a half or so visit you'll be able to do everything you want.

I also have a strange request - if you're taking photos can you get a photo of the joker ads you see since I'm on them and every photo I have come across isn't that great of quality lol

I will try and remember

I went there for a Saturday/Sunday trip there in April with my gf.

We stayed at...

BEST WESTERN Springfield West Inn

429 Riverdale Street

West Springfield , Massachusetts

It was a perfect hotel for a theme park trip, it was clean, maybe 7 miles from the park and was around 100 bucks for the night.

Wicked cyclone was my favorite but supermans lines seemed to be longer when we were there. Cyclone we went to first on Saturday and got on a bunch of times with short waits and Sunday we did superman first and rode 3 or 4 times in a row but you just have to keep going around through the queue. Also superman had a staff member standing at the entrance checking to make sure nobody brings in loose items.

I would also try hitting up pandemonium earlier in the day, especially if the line is short because after the morning the line was always long and its a short ride that isn't worth waiting for if the line is long cause it takes forever.

Skyscreamer is a must do as long as you guys don't mind heights because my gf almost freaked out cause it was windy and we were really moving around quite a bit. I'm not afraid of heights but I'll even admit that it made my hands sweaty cause I was holding on tight haha

Also skip Houdini. It's missing a lot of elements ours has and it really hurts the ride.

There is kettle corn near Goliath that is a snack on the dining plan. It's awesome.

Also make sure you give yourself plenty of time get up there, the earlier the better because it's always something. Either construction with some lanes closed or some moron who crashed cause they don't know how to drive.

Also remember to take exit 10 to the Outerbridge, it's all highway to the bridge and it's cheaper then getting off exit 11 to the Outerbridge or exit 13 to the Gothels.

Have fun!

Edited by SatansHockey

Thanks for the input everyone.

Now I have another dilemma...

Fright Fest starts next weekend there. Don't know if we should wait or go this weekend. We really want to go on rides but the park is only open up til 8 pm... Fright Fest is open till 11 pm I think. Also can not tell from the website if the haunts are free (does not show any up charges which is a plus); however I would think it would be less crowded this weekend then next. I would take less crowds over fright fest and a later closing.

I did find a nice hotel by the airport for $99 which includes breakfast and an indoor pool Hyatt House by the airport.

I would wait for the second weekend if you can. The first weekend of any event they are often working out the bugs. Wait a week and read what people said about the event, if the haunts were upcharges, which ones were good and which weren't, etc. The first weekend the diehard fans all come out and the park can be crowded. The net weekend the crowd may be a little less.

Just booked a room at Rodeway Inn and suites... $75 p/tax; has outdoor pool (doubt it will be open) and breakfast.

Going to do SFNE all day Saturday (11 coasters) and then stop by Luna Park in Coney Island to hit some more (besides Cyclone since we rode that a few years ago). My daughter who is 18 wants to hit 150 different coasters before she turns 19. She is at 136 so it is very possible.

I recommend Lake Compounce and Quassy Amusement Park over Luna Park. They're both in Connecticut on the way back home, so they are usually combined with a trip to SFNE. Luna Park is close enough to have its own day trip, where as Lake Compounce and Quassy are really just "both in a single day" parks.

That was the original plan since we really wanted to ride Boulder Dash but Lake Compounce is closed this weekend and next also.

So we changed our plan so she can still hopefully hit her 150 mark. Quassy only has 2 coasters I believe

I went there August 27th. So, food service is horrible there, just saying :P. Must rides I think are Goliath (very rough, however, when are you going to ride one ever again), Superman, Wicked Cyclone and the NESS. Also, another tip is it's almost a mile from the parking lot to the theme park. I found that out the hard way. They do have trams however. Now, heres what rides I did in an order:

Superman->Gotham City Gauntlet->Catwomen's Whip->Batman:The Dark Knight->Splashwater Falls (Now Closed)->Flashback->Goliath->Wicked Cyclone

I only got to ride everything once, but still, a pretty solid park, however, Great Adventure is better.

I was thinking about paying for preferred parking to get closer. That lot looks a lot closer on google maps. Is it a different entrance for preferred parking? Is it in the handicap section?

And what is 'the NESS"? never mind, I believe its the Skyscreamer...

Edited by robertleax

It is a separate lot but same main park entrance. Definitely closer though. Superman will most likely be closed to the public until noon on Sat. Plan to hit other stuff first.

yeah :P I would start near Wicked Cyclone and bridge off from there.