VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2019 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

harry2004

I don't know if there is anything special to the key to the doors of the Skyway. But just by looking at it, It seems someone can get a triangular key and open the door in the air. With 3d printing, Its more than possible. I dont see the Skyway going away anytime soon. But I think the park knows the possibility is still their. But compared to ski lift style cable rides, the Skyway is one of the safest ever.

it would be a shame if it got removed considering it was from the 1964 Worlds Fair in Queens NY.

In my opinion if people fall out of it due to tampering, then they get what they got coming. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I enjoy taking a ride on it after a day of walking back and forth all day

• Like 1

I don't know if there is anything special to the key to the doors of the Skyway. But just by looking at it, It seems someone can get a triangular key and open the door in the air. With 3d printing, Its more than possible. I dont see the Skyway going away anytime soon. But I think the park knows the possibility is still their. But compared to ski lift style cable rides, the Skyway is one of the safest ever.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV but I have to believe if its found that a guest has taken a key on the ride, opens the locked door, then falls out, the park isn't liable. Now, with our lawyer filled country, someone would be able to roll the dice and take it to court

If that ever happened, there are no words in any language that could be put together that would make it seem that I am in the least way remotely sorry for outcome of the situation that followed. A person that would do that deserves to fall out, sorry if that sounds mean but that's a situation that shouldn't be "babied" The only response to that situation should be "well, sorry your son/daughter was an idiot"

Edited by Mrpq

I actually don't feel like the skyride is safe at all. Thin wire holding up those cars, them swinging when it gets a bit windy. And when you go over the water, I think about what would happen if it fell off into the water. Sure, you'd survive the impact, but how would you get out since the door is locked?

The skyride is very safe. With how many skyrides there have been over the years, there has been very few documented incidences. Riding KK in the front row with Intamin's history of snapping cables is much scarier to me.

If the skyride were to be removed, it would be due to difficulty finding replacement parts and/or cost of upkeep. It wouldn't be due to safety concerns.

• Like 1

The Great Adventure skyride has operated without incident since 1964. It's perfectly safe. I also don't feel like it will be removed soon; it serves a good purpose and almost always has a line.

Edited by gencx

large.59af3f8c5d571_ScreenShot2017-09-05at8_17_36PM.png.8bbf4998452bff4feb8e3a20d3f8345e.pngh

this is my badly made map showing the future plans for both metropolis and gotham city (formerly movie town)

this is my plans. since cyborg is coming there be a flat ride package in both movietown and metropolis in 2019

movie town can become gotham city

the stunt arena can be demolished and 2 flats in its place: nightwing a huss troika and gotham city crime wave a wave swinger

for stuntman freefall spot is going to be home to penguins blizzard river

and for metropolis

a zamperla giant discovery called wonder woman lasso of truth going behind cyborg cyber spin

a zamperla endeavour called the flash is going in the spot of spin meister

and old musik express spot can become metro park something like this from six flags magic mountain

IMG_4212.jpg

Edited by harry2004

You guys should also remember that Great Escape's Skyride doesn't have enclosed cabins like Great Adventure does. I feel like everyone is making "what if this happens or this happens" statements when I feel like there isn't any remote sign the park has a reason to remove the Skyride. Even just in the past few years, they have started using both sides more regularly, with both sides having a line constantly.

There ARE signs that the park is expanding the Old Country area once again. I imagine the next few additions to the park will be in that area. One thing that MAY be on the chopping block is the Stunt Arena. However, that's also questionable because they just moved Dead Man's Party into the Stunt Arena and I feel that was a smart move. Hopefully, if the Old Country area is filled with more rides in the next few years, maybe Showcase and the Arena will eventually have shows year round. That's what I hope 2019 brings is something more to that area.

I wonder how attendance is fairing in 2017 as compared to the last couple years?  That might have an influence on what rides come here in the future.

Granted I tried to go to GA on lower attendance days, so I didn't see any huge crowds this year.  And there seemed to be a lot of bad days due to inclement weather

1 hour ago, dougdrummer said:

Granted I tried to go to GA on lower attendance days, so I didn't see any huge crowds this year.  And there seemed to be a lot of bad days due to inclement weather

This is something I have thought about too. If attendance doesn't rise then adding to the park is less likely. To add additional payroll for ride operators and maybe even maintenance staff would cut into profit if the attendance isn't rising enough to cover the added overhead. I hate to add something but have to take something away to do it unless its an old ride that is at the end of its life.

As much as we want it all, it is a business and these are things that would be considered.

at the same time, if nothing ''exciting" is added why would people want to come back?   its burning a candle at both ends.   Have to keep people interested.  A new flat ride might grab peoples attention for the short run but you aren't going to have people travel for a flat ride like people would travel for a coaster

Buttttt,

a good flat package might bring families to the park multiple times so they can enjoy some rides together. Those younger kids will come to the park and enjoy some what tame rides but they will be looking at the coasters and want to be big enough to go on them. Now these kids have a love for the park and want to go back year after year as they grow into adulthood.  These now adults will want to share the love of the park with their kids who will enjoy some what tame rides but they will be looking ...................

Well that's how it went with me. I'm just not at the 3rd generation.

If I remember reading correctly, CF has seen a down year so far as well. I think the weather has really hurt all regional theme parks this season.

As far as how it will effect GAdv's next addition...I am going to assume not too much. Even with attendance down a bit, I believe SF reported a small increase in revenue. SF's capital expenditure, for now, is a fixed number based on their income. GAdv is the chain's biggest money-maker, so we will always be one of the top priorities. That may not necessarily result in a RMC, but it also won't result in just an updated lazy river, either. 

Lastly, we have had plenty of family/mid-level additions the last 5 years. Adventure Alley, SORA and Justice League were all amazing additions for people of all age groups. Joker, El Diablo and Zumanjaro, while thrill rides, all have only 48 inch requirements. That was a height range that the park had very little to offer. Cyborg will provide a new, eye-catching flat ride as well.

While the overall landscape may dictate that more family rides may still be the best option, you have to consider context. In 12 years we have received 3 coasters; the first was a cloned Wild Mouse, another was a relocated 20 year old standup that is universally hated, and a cloned freespin that is gimmicky to the point it alienates a large sector of riders. In those 12 years, we lost both tracks of a beloved coaster in Chiller, lost GASM, and lost both sides of RT. That means we have less coasters in 2018 than we did in 2006 (or exactly the same if you consider Chiller and RT as one ride).

I do think a relatively large scale coaster would make the most sense for the park for the reasons above. Especially if it is placed in Old Country to completely re-integrate that last "dead area" back to life.

3 hours ago, Mrpq said:

I didn't think the rain was all that bad this year,  I thought last year was worse

I think the heat was actually worse. I felt like most of the summer was either very hot or thunderstorms, and very little in between.
The heat specifically was a contributing factor for me not going for over a month straight, which I think is my longest "drought" in probably 4 or 5 years, ignoring the off-season.

44 minutes ago, rj1972 said:

Does anyone know how much undeveloped land Great Adventure has beyond the existing parks footprint, and where is is located.

They have a ton of land, but it's all forested, or preserved, etc.

• Like 1