VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kings Dominion Removing Volcano: The Blast Coaster

Medusa42

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2019/park-update

Part of getting ready for a new operating season includes an expert evaluation of our rides and operations. As a part of that evaluation, every aspect of our rides and attractions are analyzed, from guest satisfaction, throughput and rider capacity to reliability, uptime and maintenance. After thorough evaluation, the decision has been made to remove Volcano: The Blast Coaster. This wasn’t an easy decision for us, because we know that people love this one-of-a-kind coaster; however, over time it became nearly impossible to keep the ride up to our high standards of reliability and guest satisfaction, and for these reasons we had to make the tough call. We apologize to anyone who is inconvenienced by the removal, but hope they will understand that it was done to enhance the overall guest experience here at Kings Dominion.

This isn’t surprising, but it is the second coaster removed in the last few years without a new coaster being added.

I really regret not getting back there to try the coaster and everything else I missed in past trips. I wish they would have kept the original rides that were in the structure. I remember liking the Smurf Mountain ride when I was a kid.

I know this is wishful thinking,but with Volcano's removal KD would have the space for a chain-lift style invert or better yet a brand-new version of The Lost World.The new version could have a higher capacity/more efficient flume ride with better animatronics and a backwards section,a newer version of Time Shaft,and Flight Of Fear could be re-themed(and the MCBR removed)and made part of the new mountain. 

10 hours ago, ericthewanderer said:

I know this is wishful thinking,but with Volcano's removal KD would have the space for a chain-lift style invert or better yet a brand-new version of The Lost World.The new version could have a higher capacity/more efficient flume ride with better animatronics and a backwards section,a newer version of Time Shaft,and Flight Of Fear could be re-themed(and the MCBR removed)and made part of the new mountain. 

I was actually thinking of putting an invert in Anaconda's place (Flight of Fear, I305, and invert-I'm going to use Afterburn for rn) would become X-Base. Scrambler, Avalanche, and The Crypt would be Safari Village. 

Here is my 5 year plan:

2020-Dinosaurs Alive! removed in off season, Tornado replacement, New flat next to Delirium (Carousel side; Skyhawk)

2021-The Crypt is removed, New Coaster in the mountain (Dawnson Duel/Matterhorn hybrid-Klondike Rusher), Safari Village is split into Frontier Canada (Avalanche, Scrambler, Klondike Rusher) and X-Base (Backlot, Anaconda, Flight of Fear, I-305)

2022-Planet Snoopy Expansion-Surf Dog (on other side of Delirium)

2023-2 new flats in Frontier Canada (Lumberjack and Soaring Timbers, clones of the same rides at Canada's Wonderland)

2024-Afterburn (B&M Invert) replaces Anaconda

Even though there is space on the other side of Racer 75, I would not be surprised if the site Backlot occupies is used for Soak City in the future and Backlot is relocated to Dorney. Dorney needs it more than KD tbh

I don't think they can add a B&M invert, Busch (I believe) has an exclusive deal for that market. Unless that expired (which it may have), I don't believe they can get a B&M invert. 

I'm wondering if the problem is the mountain structure itself. Anything on the coaster should be able to be repaired/replaced fairly easily, but if the mountain has structural issues not so much. 

2 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

I don't think they can add a B&M invert, Busch (I believe) has an exclusive deal for that market. Unless that expired (which it may have), I don't believe they can get a B&M invert. 

I'm wondering if the problem is the mountain structure itself. Anything on the coaster should be able to be repaired/replaced fairly easily, but if the mountain has structural issues not so much. 

Huh, I've never heard about that. Where did you find the information about the Busch deal? I'm very curious to see. 

Also, from what I've heard, Kings Dominion mainly took out Volcano due to the frequency of its mechanical issues. Although the parts should be easily replaceable, I think the sheer amount of work involved along with the cost of repairs proved to be too much. It was SBNO for the majority of the 2018 season, and was down for portions of the 2017 season as well. Keep in mind that Volcano was a prototype (first launched inverted coaster), making its 20-year lifespan at the park fairly impressive. Many of Great Adventure's prototype rides (Ultra Twister, Viper, etc.) had much shorter lifespans. 

Busch/SeaWorld had deals in place for exclusivity of the types of coasters they bought from B&M so the competition couldn't build the same thing within the market area. The only reason why KD got Dominator was that Cedar Fair relocated the ride. Same thing with Fiesta Texas getting a BTR clone when SeaWorld San Antonio already had one. If you spend ~$20 million on a new coaster you want it to be unique and a draw for some time. 

Even here in Orlando, SeaWorld has exclusive rights to the floorless, flyer, and hyper coasters, while Universal has/had inverted and standard looping coaster. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

Busch/SeaWorld had deals in place for exclusivity of the types of coasters they bought from B&M so the competition couldn't build the same thing within the market area. The only reason why KD got Dominator was that Cedar Fair relocated the ride. Same thing with Fiesta Texas getting a BTR clone when SeaWorld San Antonio already had one. If you spend ~$20 million on a new coaster you want it to be unique and a draw for some time. 

Even here in Orlando, SeaWorld has exclusive rights to the floorless, flyer, and hyper coasters, while Universal has/had inverted and standard looping coaster. 

That's so interesting! I can't believe I haven't heard about that before, but it makes complete sense. Thanks for the info!

5 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

This makes it sound like it would be easy to get around any exclusivity deal by moving a B&M Invert from another park to Kings Dominion.  Perhaps Talon from Dorney or Patriot from Worlds of Fun.

If Cedar Fair moved Talon, I'd probably stop visiting the park completely in the spring and fall and just visit when Wildwater Kingdom is open because that would leave 1 coaster in the park I normally ride more than once per trip. 

12 hours ago, Medusa42 said:

This makes it sound like it would be easy to get around any exclusivity deal by moving a B&M Invert from another park to Kings Dominion.  Perhaps Talon from Dorney or Patriot from Worlds of Fun.

If anything, Kings Dominion should send Backlot to Dorney and use that space for their water park. Backlot might be just what the doctor ordered for Dorney.

Canada's Wonderland could give up Flight Deck (very extreme case) and put a B&M flyer in place of Flight Deck (and Time Warp).

During my visits to Dorney Park, Talon has definitely been the stand-out roller coaster. With Busch's exclusivity deals, the only possibilities would be a flyer or a winged coaster. That being said, Cedar Fair has never purchased a B&M flyer, and hasn't built a winged coaster since Gatekeeper. I think a B&M would be a really cool fit for the park, and although I wouldn't rule it out completely, it just doesn't seem very realistic. 

• 1 month later...

They'll probably relocate Flight Deck from Canada's Wonderland (hopefully replacing Anaconda). Then put a B&M Invert (don't know what they'd call it, it would have to fit the Exposition of 1890) replacing Flight Deck and Time Warp. They still have Vortex and Silver Streak so Wonderland could go for an RMC Wilde Beast or Mack multi-launch.

P.S. CW should relocate Drop Tower to Orbiter's spot, I think Skyhawk could work better in Medieval Faire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This removal really stings for me. Volcano was far and away my favorite coaster that I rode at KD when I visited. I probably went on it with my ex at least 10 times during that trip. It's a crime to see such a unique coaster get removed, but I understand it from the cost/maintenance side of things.