VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Dates Announced

29yrswithaGApass

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to Open May 31 at Disneyland Resort, August 29 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

Minutes ago, we shared an exciting announcement many of you have been waiting to hear  Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is opening ahead of schedule on May 31 at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and August 29 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

That’s right – it’s debuting early because of high guest interest in experiencing this new, immersive land.  On opening day for phase one, you’ll be able to live your own Star Wars story and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, sample amazing galactic food and beverages, explore an intriguing collection of merchant shops and more.

And for phase two, opening later this year, will be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the most ambitious, immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined that will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance and will blur the lines between fantasy and reality.  In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the land in phases to allow guests to sooner enjoy the one-of-a-kind experiences that make Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so spectacular.

Guests planning to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland park in California between May 31 and June 23, 2019 will need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation, subject to availability, to access the land. Information on how to make a reservation will be available at a later date on Disneyland.com and the Disney Parks Blog. Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered guest); valid theme park admission is required.

A reservation will not be offered or required to experience Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at the Walt Disney World Resort at this time.  And you should know that valid theme park admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios is required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge after its opening on August 29, 2019. Capacity is limited.  Additionally, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be available during Extra Magic Hours. During Extra Magic Hours guests staying at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels can spend extra time at Disney’s Hollywood Studios enjoying select attractions.  Details will also be available at a later date on Disneyworld.com and the Disney Parks Blog.

To keep you updated on what’s to come leading up to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, we recently launched our exclusive “Building Batuu” story series and special Star Wars page filled with great stories.  

Now, if you’re as excited as we are about experiencing Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, we have important information you should know before you go and begin your own Star Wars adventure in a galaxy far, far away.  

To help ensure we provide a great guest experience, we’re sharing travel tips here on the Disney Parks Blog over the coming months to prepare guests for their visit. We know how excited many of you are to visit the galaxy’s Outer Rim and that you’ll have questions about how to best experience Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – so, here are some important details to help you start your planning:

Park Admission: Regular theme park admission is required to enter Disneyland Park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. There will not be a separate ticket for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.   To visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland park between May 31 and June 23, 2019, guests will need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation, subject to availability, to access the land.  We’ll share information on how to make a reservation at a later date on the Disney Parks Blog and on Disneyland.com.

Land Entry: Because we anticipate galactic excitement during the opening months this year, we are planning ahead to deliver the best possible experiences for our guests.  Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be open during normal park operating hours. It will not be included in Extra Magic Hour or Magic Morning at Disneyland Park.  It will be available during Extra Magic Hours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.

Attractions: For your vacation planning purposes, please be aware that Disney FASTPASS service, including access via Disney MaxPass, (at Disneyland park) and Disney FastPass+ service (at Disney’s Hollywood Studios) will not initially be offered at Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. We will continually evaluate our operations and services in order to help provide a great guest experience.

Planning:  If you’re looking to book a vacation to the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com.  You should also note that vacation packages, park tickets and Disney Resort hotel stays do not guarantee access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.  The land —including participation in its experiences—will be subject to capacity restraints and other restrictions.

Check out this new video for more details:

Along with new Building Batuu series stories, we’ll also be sharing more information on what you need to know when planning a visit to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, including arrival and planning details in upcoming posts here on the Disney Parks Blog.

And while we wait for the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, you should also know that you can experience Star Wars in the park in a whole new way (April 4-7) during a weekend of galactic fun at Star Wars Rival Run Weekend at the Walt Disney World Resort.  Learn more or register today at runDisney.com.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates on Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida.

Capacity for the parks, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences is limited.  Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.

Source:  Disney Parks Blog

Late last month I booked a WDW vacation for the week of September 15th.  Still wondering it this is good news or not.

It's smart of Disney to have the Disney World opening right before schools in the north go back. I thought after Labor Day, it's usually low crowds for most of September because parents aren't going to have kids miss the first week or two of school. It should be interesting to see how much more crowded September is now but I hope lines are still short for your trip. Maybe just Hollywood Studios will have really bad crowds?

I also hope there are lots of warnings when people buy Disneyland tickets if a reservation is required for the first few weeks it is open. I can see uninformed visitors buying a 1 day ticket expecting to be able to get into the land and being angry when they aren't allowed in. I feel bad for the cast members that are going to be outside the land and having to turn people away, it's going to be miserable for them.

I would not envy that job. Not sure how wise it is of them to basically only open half the land at first, rather than wait for both rides to be operational in order to better handle the crowds. It will be a crap storm if the only operating ride breaks down. They probably should have included a couple of simple flats to further help absorb the crowds.

Supposedly, the MF ride will feature Chewbacca and a pirate character from one of Disney's SW spinoff cartoon series instead of Han. It will be like Mission Space, but with a scoring system that follows you throughout the new land. As I said in the other thread, there will be few elements from the 6 original films from Lucas. The land wil feature mostly original elements created just for the land and some of Disney's "nucanon," stuff. Disney has been trying to push the IP away from the main classic characters such as Luke and Han. 

Personally, I am not excited about Galaxy's Edge due to Disney's very poor handling of the Star Wars IP and using SJW ideology to shut down any criticisms. Not to mention the crowds this will attract that will make the rest of the park more crowded. For me, the only cool thing thing that has come from all this is the neat new DLRR trestle over the Rivers of America. Also I am glad they are not resorting to upcharge fastpasses for SWGE. 

Edited by The Master

3 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I like that they won’t be using any type of fast passes.  The line will be extreme but at least no one has an advantage ala old school queuing.  

It wasn’t mentioned but I would think they’d want Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway open before this.  

Rumor is Runaway Railway is behind schedule. 

I'm just really shocked they are opening before both Star Wars attractions are ready.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:45 AM, The Master said:

I would not envy that job. Not sure how wise it is of them to basically only open half the land at first, rather than wait for both rides to be operational in order to better handle the crowds. It will be a crap storm if the only operating ride breaks down. They probably should have included a couple of simple flats to further help absorb the crowds.

Toy Story Land and especially Pandora should have had more flats too. I don't know what they were thinking other than that Pandora went over-budget. I love Pandora, but when it opened it felt like something was missing. I'm hoping Galaxy's Edge is not the same way.

• 2 months later...

One of Galaxy Edge's food offerings will be green milk. Yes that green milk which Luke milks from the teets of the alien cow in The Last Jedi, yummy. They will also sell the blue milk that Luke, uncle Owen, and aunt Breu drink in A New Hope, but it will only be offered in the adults only bar, such a wise choice. Both are not even real milk, they will be fruit favored soy milk to appease the soy boys. 

I mentioned in the other thread how your score on the Falcon ride somehow follows you around the land? Well, if you get a losing score, some bounty hunter midway character will harass you over your low scrore in the midway. Also, they have canceled their First Order themed gift shop as it was mainly going to sell toy and replica weapons such as blasters. Disney has defided the only weapons allowed in SWGE will be lightsabers.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, The Master said:

Well, if you get a losing score, some bounty hunter midway character will harass you over your low scrore in the midway. .

That's funny. I would probably go for a low score at some point just to get the harassment.

7 hours ago, scott said:

That's funny. I would probably go for a low score at some point just to get the harassment.

It is an immersion program guests can somehow decide to opt in or stay out of. If you opt in and score well on the ride, the various characters in the stores, midways, and restaurants will congratulate you. However, if you score poorly, then they will rib on you. The backstory is the hounty hunter works for the pirate character from the spin off cartoons who is the new co owner of the Falcon with Chewie in the new ride as Han Solo is dead. If you perform poorly on the ride, you will damage the Falcon and owe the pirate guy money for repairs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The reviews I hear about the new MF ride are not too good. The ride's plot is pretty much a recreation of the train scene from the Solo film that flopped. Its pretty much a arcade shooter game and that the graphics are not very good. There are also complaints that riders in the gunner and engineer positions can't see what is happening. 

The food reviews are not good either. Most of the drinks are either odd tasting, very sour, or very bitter. The candied popcorn is reported to taste like Fruit Loops. The lightsabers from the lightsaber smith shop are reported to be low quality, and better quality lightsabers can be found from online vendors for less money. As I said before, most of the theming and merch in GE is from the ST films, with little from the older OT and PT films. 

15 hours ago, The Master said:

The reviews I hear about the new MF ride are not too good. The ride's plot is pretty much a recreation of the train scene from the Solo film that flopped. Its pretty much a arcade shooter game and that the graphics are not very good. There are also complaints that riders in the gunner and engineer positions can't see what is happening. 

The food reviews are not good either. Most of the drinks are either odd tasting, very sour, or very bitter. The candied popcorn is reported to taste like Fruit Loops. The lightsabers from the lightsaber smith shop are reported to be low quality, and better quality lightsabers can be found from online vendors for less money. As I said before, most of the theming and merch in GE is from the ST films, with little from the older OT and PT films. 

Have a Six Flags Disney Day! 😐

20 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

ST, OT, PT?  I am going to guess at Sequel Trilogy, Original Trilogy, and Prequel Trilogy?  Am I close?

Correct, it is common for Star Wars fans to use acronyms like those rather than spell out everything, especially with the film titles.

Could be, as some purists are A holes, especially depending what sub type of fan purists you are dealing with. There are many fractions inside the Star Wars fandom. 

As for the Falcon ride, the pilot functions ard really screwy. One pilot only control up and down, and the second pilot only controls left or right. I know this setup is to allow more people pilot the ship, but it will be hard to coordinate these flying functions. Real flying craft don't split basic piloting functions like this for a reason and will interfere with ride enjoyment. As for the gunner positions, it is unclear if the gunners can really aim, or they just press the fire button when prompted in time like Dragon's Lair. 

So I heard a rumor that Disney is planning a solo fastpass for the Rise of the Resistance ride. This fast pass will allow you or your group to be the only riders in your ride vehicle for a better ride experience. It is also rumored that this pass would cost several hundred dollars. 

The Falcon ride features a AA1000 amantronic in its queue, with over 60 functions. Sadly, it is not of any of the iconic Star Wars film characters. It is an AA of Hondo, a recurring alien pirate character from the animated spin off cartoon series that most normies will have no clue who he is. Hondo is pretty much like Angel from Rockford Files and is voiced by Jim Cummings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after opening SWGE to the public, the new land as well as the rest of Disneyland has been empty. Disney was predicting 6 hour wait times for the Falcon ride that is now struggling to have 25 min waits. In the meantime, the new Hagrid coaster at Universal has 10 hour waits. 

10 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Aren’t a lot of annual passes blocked out as well?

Yes, most of the SP holders have been blocked out for the Summer, which was Disney shooting themselves in the foot. Unlike WDW, DL is much more of a locals park, which Disney sometimes forgets. Another issue is that the land isn't themed to anything similar to the SW movies, especially the classic films which would have the most draw. The main character for GE is some black chick rebel spy who was a minor character in a spinoff book from two years ago. Pretty much a nobody to most people. Basically nothing familiar most people would know or care about except for the Falcon and Chewie. Even most SW fans care little about the sequel films which they have labeled Nu Wars. With the Falcon ride, instead of Han who everybody knows, we get Hondo, a side character from a ten year old spinoff cartoon. 

It would like if Univesal built a Harry Potter land, but themed it around a couple of background characters instead of Harry and his friends.