VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Opening Dates Announced

29yrswithaGApass

17 hours ago, Mr.Six said:

Coca-Cola-Disney-Star-Wars-Galaxy-Edge.j

A takeaway from the land are the design of soda.  This is really neat.

Those are Christmas bottles of Coke with non Christmas wappers, LOL. Hopefully its not old unsold Christmas Coke that has been relabeled

• Like 1

Sadly because Disneyland is experiencing record low crowds, many castmembers are either being let go or having their hours cut. There are also rumors that they are going to close the weird popcorn stand in GE because of low demand. Its sad that Star Wars is getting its butt kicked by Harry Potter.

Edited by The Master

Disneyland attendance numbers are still pretty low. Granted that has a lot to do with annual pass blackouts, but wouldn’t it be something if ticket prices were finally too high for guests.  

Unfortunately, it would probably result in budget cuts and reduced entertainment options on an ongoing grand scale.  

It looks like that is going to happen or has already started:

https://www.micechat.com/230592-freeze-disneyland-implements-hiring-freeze-and-cutbacks/

Things are getting serious at Disneyland where a hiring freeze and budget cuts have just been implemented in response to low summer attendance.  

All departments have been asked to cut labor hours and make other cuts as necessary. The park had staffed up for the expected huge crowds for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. When those crowds didn’t appear, Disney unblocked Cast Member admissions and launched discounted pass holder tickets. While those admissions do seem to be successful, it isn’t enough to make up for soft hotel room bookings and short attraction waits. 

Guests should expect to see entertainment, custodial, and non-essential labor cuts immediately at the resort. Among these are the shuttering of the Newsboys show on Buena Vista Street and a scaling back of the Lion King show, both at DCA.  

Besides building the two American GE lands, Disney is also building a half sized GE at EuroDisneyland. 

I think one of the big problems is that the land isn't very appealing to either SW fans or the general public as it is themed after a planet not seen in any of the movies or spinoff media which was a massive mistake. It would be like if Universal themed their Harry Potter land after another magic school that was not in either the films or books instead of Hogwarts. 

Here are aerial pictures of GE from July 4th, 2019.

ROTR1.jpg?w=600

Droid1.jpg?w=620

Not looking too good for Disney. They should have themed each land from a different planet from the films. Here is fanart of a Star Wars park from a few years ago, the park Disney should have built instead. 

47d74e8cdf0abfb06d75818cf75e318a.jpg

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Star Wars fans aside, I don’t think the general public realizes or cares that it is not one of the main planets from the movies. All they know is that it looks like something that would exist in Star Wars.  

I think they do care, to some degree, which the low crowds seem to suggest. Would the Harry Potter lands at Universal be just as successful if they were not themed after the major locations from the films and books like Hogwarts, Hogsmede, and Diagon Alley? While Joe or Jane public might not care as much as a SW fan, most probably would still prefer visiting Tatooine or Coruscant over a location they never heard of before like Batuu.   

6 hours ago, The Master said:

I think one of the big problems is that the land isn't very appealing to either SW fans or the general public as it is themed after a planet not seen in any of the movies or spinoff media which was a massive mistake. It would be like if Universal themed their Harry Potter land after another magic school that was not in either the films or books instead of Hogwarts. 

I've seen all the SW films, but I would never have known this if you didn't tell me. I'm obviously not a super-fan / connoisseur, but I'd still say I'm a fan of SW. I just don't have a running list of every planet, and I don't think most other people do either. I'm much less a fan of Harry Potter, but you can't say Hogwarts isn't a critical key focal point of the IP. Having a made-up school over Hogwarts in Wizarding World would be like having some made up ship instead of the Millennium Falcon in Galaxy's Edge. Arguably even worse than that. Find me someone who has never heard of Hogwarts. I can find find plenty of people who have never heard of Tatooine. (PS I had to look up to verify I spelled that correctly)

I am not a super fan of Harry Potter either, only seen the films, most of them I just watched once. Never read the books, but I know of the main locations like Hogwarts, the nearby town of Hogsmede, and Diagon Alley in London. 

As for Star Wars, I am only a fan of the six Lucas made films, never cared for either the old spinoff media called the Expanded Universe which Disney did away with to start their own new expanded universe of spinoff media which has not gone well. Even the original Star Tours ride mentioned Tatooine, Hoth, Dagobah, Bespin, and the plot involved being on a trip to Endor that goes way off course to the Death Star. 

For the most part, Batuu looks a lot like Tatooine with a more moist climate, which begs the question of not just make it Tatooine? The planet that is featured in 5 of the 6 original films, making it the most iconic of any of the SW planets. Yes, most people know what Tatooine is. The Falcon is one iconic thing GE has other than Chewbacca, but no Han Solo. Instead of Solo, GE has Hondo instead, a obscure alien pirate character from the ten year old Clone Wars cartoon spinoff series. Plus a even more obscure human rebel spy minor character from two year old book named Vi who is supposed to be the main character of SW land. You instead of somebody the general public would know like Luke, Anakin, or even Rey. Tatooine is far less obscure than either Hondo or Vi, who I only know of by looking up SW wikis. 

So if Universal had followed Disney's plan, there would still be the Hogwarts Express. But instead of traveling between London and Hogwarts, it would be some other new made up magic school and generic city. Instead of Harry and his friends, WW would feature just Ron and a couple of minor background characters from those Harry Potter spinoff films set in the 1920's. There would be no Harry Potter or most of the major cast at all in WW if you applied GE's plan to WW. 

In more simply terms.

Disney: who wants to see places and major characters they know from the Star Wars moives? That is just silly. 

Universal raking in money from Harry Potter: Yeah great plan Disney, stick with it, do it! 

Supposedly many of the imagineers are not happy with the end results of GE. Some claim that management and marketing had most of the hand in designing the land, and way it turned out. There are also unhappy with reports of fights in the Falcon ride when somebody performs poorly at their station and ruins the ride for everyone else. The land is running out of merch and is poorly stocked. There are also complaints of the expensive lightsabers ceasing to function in as little as a week. Disney goofed big time. 

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...

We did the preview of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge the other day, and it surpassed my expectations overall, but it felt lacking in life to me. The best parts were the things that specifically related to the original three movies. I'll be posting a more detailed trip report soon, but here's a couple of the "low lights" where it just didn't feel like a billion dollar expansion to a theme park. Apparently it was designed in California by people with no idea how hot and humid it gets in Florida, so (just like Toy Story Land) there is no shade and they've had to add umbrellas, and no water fountains so they had to put Igloo coolers with paper cone cups to give people something to drink. 

The shops have no air movement,  so the cast members had to bring in fans. The "food" props in the restaurants all look very plastic. 

Are the shops in the market air conditioned?   

I remember going to Animal Kingdom shortly after it opened and none of the shops were air conditioned because it helped “make it feel like Africa”.  That didn’t last for long as no one would go in the very hot shops.  

• 3 weeks later...

It is interesting to see that the wait time for the new ride has been consistently less than 60 minutes at both Disneyland and Hollywood Studios.   A time frame which seems very manageable especially for a brand new attraction.   If the ride was offering fast passes, the wait time would probably be three or four times as long.  Oh how I long for the good old days before fast pass.

4 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It is interesting to see that the wait time for the new ride has been consistently less than 60 minutes at both Disneyland and Hollywood Studios.   A time frame which seems very manageable especially for a brand new attraction.   If the ride was offering fast passes, the wait time would probably be three or four times as long.  Oh how I long for the good old days before fast pass.

That is the same issue with HH.

I heard one big difference between the DL and WDW versions of GE is that the Falcon ride at DL has the Hondo animatronic in the queue while the WDW version only has video screens of him, no AA. 

Edited by The Master

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I heard one big difference between the DL and WDW versions of GE is that the Falcon ride at DL has the Hondo animatronic in the queue while the WDW version only has video screens of him, no AA. 

DHS has the same AA figure as DL.  

Maybe they use a screen when the figure is down? 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:55 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

DHS has the same AA figure as DL.  

Maybe they use a screen when the figure is down? 

Perhaps the figure wasn't running yet when the WDW GE opened and a lot of reviewers thought it was cost cutting. I have seen on Revenge of the Mummy over at Universal that when the Mummy figure is down, they use a projection effect instead. 

Still of all the Star Wars characters to choose from to make an AA out of, they picked a side character from a 10 year old spinoff cartoon. The GP would not recognize Holdo too well, mainly just the SW Expanded Universe fans who are subset of SW fandom would know who he is. Expanded Universe is what they generally call Star Wars spin off media which has several levels of canon, with only the live action films being in the top level of canon. Lucas has even said several times that the expanded Star Wars universe is an alternate universe to his films, not a direct continuity which leads to  all sorts of fan arguments between EU fans and film purist fans.