VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hurricane Harbor Construction & Opening Spotlight

^ You should see a few Spotlights on some of the HH attractions over the summer months. Those are pretty quick and easy to do because little has changed over the seasons. We needed to divided it up into several Spotlights because we have well over 1500 photos of the park since it opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice spotlight! I was at HH during it's opening season, the river was not open very much during the first season probably because of staffing issues. During the following years the river would often only be half open and HH still does that every so often. Also during HH's early years they played new age music in the park while in recent years they switched to playing pop music.

Edited by The Master

I have heard about this old dangerous water park with the looping slide before that was in NJ, were in NJ was it? I don't recall seeing any ads for it so I guess it was probably in North NJ outside of the Philly metro area.

It's up here in Vernon. It now goes under the name of Mountain Creek Waterpark and it's not as bad as Action Park was during its peak, but still not the greatest in waterpark experiences. It's connected to a whole resort type area with ski slopes in the winter, and the waterpark and other attractions running in the summer.

So it's like Camel Beach in PA then. I looked up Vernon on mapquest and that is sure a long way from were I am, no wonder I never heard much about it since it is way up north. SFA is closer to me than that park LOL.

Edited by The Master

Yeah I mean I'm relatively close to it where I am and it's still about 50 minutes from me due to it's location away from too many major roads.

Although this park can't really even be compared to HH because there really aren't many similarities. The slides are ok at best, but incredibly shallow in my opinion and the wave pool and Giant Funnel are the two best things, but with such few choices really the lines tend to get quite long. I am really gonna try to get to HH this summer because I've noticed a large gap in my park to waterpark ratio in the last few years and the spotlight has really made me wanna go :)

GAdv's HH should have had a funnel slide installed years ago. I noticed that GAdv's HH is the only major HH park that does not have one which is a shame since it is a large water park but it is kind of thin in spots.

I went to Holiday World's Splashin' Safari a couple of weeks ago and loved it. They had the funnel and the toilet bowl slides. They were neat gimmick rides and I think the kids would like them, but I just happened to prefer the traditional slides. I had been to Splashin' Safari three years ago in the end of June on a 100 degree day and hated it. You couldn't get near the funnel slide without waiting in an hour+ line. I'm glad it kept the lines at the other slides down a bit. A funnel slide at HH would be untouchable during a hot day in the summer, but it would be a good value now, especially today! Hurricane Harbor is my favorite waterpark and I have to get back there soon.

Hershey's boardwalk has both a funnel and a bowl slides which are fun but they do get awlful long lines in the afternoon, of course Hershey only has 4 slides (the funnel and bowl are 2 of them) and a few small body slides in their water playground. SFA's HH also has a funnel slide, I think if GAdv's HH builds a funnel slide they should build it as a double slide tower, one side a funnel and the other a large bowl. In any case it would be nice for HH to get something new after 7 years. The last time HH got something new was the Hurricane slide tower in 2001, HH's second year. One of the odd thing's about HH's opening year was that SF did not advertise it in the Philly metro area which was very unusually since GAdv almost always advertises new rides here, such as TDK billboards along I95 this year.

Edited by The Master

For Hurricane Harbor additions, while the bowls and tornadoes look impressive, I'd rather see an attraction like Hubba Hubba Highway at Water Country USA added. Most of those other attractions have low capacity, but somethign like HHH takes A LOT of people at once, and it's fun (it's kind of a not-so-lazy river).

Back in the early years for HH they used to be open every day in June unlike now when it does not open on weekdays untill June is almost over. HH also used to be open for a few weekends after Labor Day not close down for the year right after Labor day like now. Anymore HH has a pretty short season compaired to other local water parks.

• 4 weeks later...

I really wish they were still open after dark. If you look around the park every thing has light's on it, even the Lazy River has plenty of light's along the route. It probably looks good all lit up in there, and it's ashame no one is able to see it.

Edited by Railer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...