VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

The one thing everybody is forgetting with the JLBFM location is that if they use the right stuff building they would have to take the slingshot and go carts out. But with the former chiller location you all ready have a q for the ride and with a ride that's going to get a lot of attention the park would probably have to re open the old country since it would be so close to the area. And with that we could probably see a new flat package in the old country. And everybodys happy.

Edited by GAnerd

How much do you want them to raise it to? I'm probably going to get Hershey season passes for next year as well plus a Cedar fair platinum pass because I have a few trips planned already that will be near Cedar fair parks. I figure I can hit Hershey a few times next year and get my moneys worth but it's just a hard park for me to do without having to stay over. A day trip would take some of the fun out of it when I have 5 hours of driving to do in total. I may try it though and see how I like actually doing that.

I do that several times a year to Hershey. Drive 2.5 hours, spend 9am to 10pm in the park, and drive 2.5 hours home. Hershey is a nicer, classier park than GADV.

Railer, my parents who visited GADV back in the 70s said there were lots of scumbags in the park even back then. GADV just has a long history of bringing in the scumbags since it's early days.

Edited by The Master

For anyone wondering, Kingda Ka reopened about an hour before closing last night. Joker was closed for "maintenance" as I was told.

Also, the log flume was shut down around 7:30 due to one log flume being dislodged and stuck underneath another log. This was right at the end of the turntable when the logs are released into the trough... Not sure how it happened but they looked stuck pretty good.

Edit: http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/joeyc98/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html

Edited by joeyc98

I do that several times a year to Hershey. Drive 2.5 hours, spend 9am to 10pm in the park, and drive 2.5 hours home. Hershey is a nicer, classier park than GADV.

Railer, my parents who visited GADV back in the 70s said there were lots of scumbags in the park even back then. GADV just has a long history of bringing in the scumbags since it's early days.

I would only be able to do that on Saturday or Sunday, when have you noticed the park not being as busy? I'd probably skip July and August because I really don't enjoy the heat

Oh, i know. It's nothing but straight up geography. When your right in the middle of two major City's, that's what you will always get unless you "price them out". I personally remember the days when a Day Ticket was $13.00, and a Pass was only $39.99. But the World was different back then also, what a scumbag was back then, is nothing compared to what a scumbag is today. That's why all other the other Chain's have higher prices, but they also don't have Advertisement's plastered on everything. That's how Six Flag's makes up the difference of the low admission's, but all that does is totally destroy what a Theme Park is suppesed to be, an "escape from the real World". How you can escape anything when the Park is nothing but a huge Billboard? If i wanted to see ad's all day, i can sit home and watch Network TV. I would gladly pay an extra $20-$30 on a Pass, if they removed all the ad "wrap"s", and Banner's on the Fort. If your in "Frontier Adventures" seeing an advertisement is the last thing we should be looking at in an Old West Frontier Town. But they would rather go this route, because most of the Guest's you get with the low admission's are not that bright, and they easily get suckered into the "Money Trap" the Park is if your not properly prepared. I've never rented a Locker in my life, and never bought a Flashpass but once when they were brand new just to try it.

• Like 1

They've found a balance between price and quantity that's sold that's profitable for them. That's all they need. If they increase the price by $30, they might lose out on too many passholders that the price increase won't make up for it.

Personally, I wasn't planning on buying a SF pass this year because I did a road trip and have been to three Cedar Fair parks and plan on Dorney as a fourth in a few weeks, so I had spent $280 on my platinum pass with dining. But then I got an email for a $40 SFA gold pass, and visited their water park and theme park, and plan on a day at Great Adventure after Dorney. That's business of mine they wouldn't have otherwise gotten by pricing down, even though I'm not a "scumbag" that trashes the park. It was just too good a deal to pass up and I enjoy visiting Great Adventure. I might even splurge on a flash pass when I visit to treat myself as I haven't been in over a year... so now the chains getting say $100 total they wouldn't otherwise have gotten from me.

It all just comes down to one's personal preferance really. I mean there is nothing wrong at all for anyone buying Passes, it is the best deal going for Entertainment Value for the Money spent. I just think now they are taking it little too far, and losing site of what the Park once was. It really was a Magical Place one time, now it's just a big advertisement for the Sponsorship Dollars coming in. I do think HITP brought alot of that "Magical Place" vibe back last year. And i did plan on getting Passes right after the regular Season ends, when 2017 go on sale. That way get FF, and HITP, and all of next Season. But now that it seem's a "JL" is coming, i'm not. My Kids don't want anything to do with a "JL", they like Coaster's. They are 15, and 11, and say that a "Justice League" is for little kids. That is the opinion of what a "JL" is to all my Kids friend's that are the same age. Usually they always hang at my place with them all, so i have heard them all say that when i told them that's what it seem's is coming next year. When you have kids that grew up on Ka, Nitro, Toro, Bizarro, and Green Lantern, adding a gimmick Coaster like "The Joker" or a Dark Ride ain't cutting it to them. So now they love Skyrush, and Fareinheight as their faves.

^What was your change at heart? If you look at your past postings when the season wrapped up for 2015, you were praising Holiday in the Park and nothing but positive and optimistic about 2016 talking about how the park was on the verge of bigger and better things and expressing excitement about the new ride for 2016.

The fact that i haven't been to another Park other than GAdv for about 30yrs, and finally went to one (Hershey) and saw how it is at other places. Now it makes me want to go to check out a Cedar Fair Park sometime. And i loved HITP, brought back that old feeling of how the Park used to be.

The fact that i haven't been to another Park other than GAdv for about 30yrs, and finally went to one (Hershey) and saw how it is at other places. Now it makes me want to go to check out a Cedar Fair Park sometime. And i loved HITP, brought back that old feeling of how the Park used to be.

Why did you say on your Insider Updates page that you've been on a JL ride in response to someone's post?

And most of what other parks offer that are better than our park does not have to do with coasters. I have been on 150 coasters and about 30 parks, and only CP touches our lineup. Our other major advantages are size and the safari. What seperates us from parks like CP and Hershey (huge parks with 13+ coasters are flat rides, upkeep and atmosphere. All those things are related to attracting families, who also happen to bring in loads of $. A ride like JL suits the entire family. You can get the smaller kids on it, people who don't like coasters, and DC/Marvel have such a MASSIVE fanbase of all ages at the moment.

Universal perfected building similar rides off kid-ish movies. Harry Potter, Transformers, Spiderman...all things I'm sure YOUR kids might not like, but millions of families every year travel across the country to empty their wallets for.

• Like 2

Uh, cause' this Summer i went to SF Great America for a day when out there visiting Friend's. I didn't say it in this post because it was just another Six Flags Park, and i really don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone. I'm the kind of person that is usually happy when people don't like me, i don't have to pretend to like them then. I have my "core" gang, all i need, don't have room or time for any more people. But i shut down Updates now anyway, tired of the Park suck-up, "man-children" that most of still live with "Mommy" coming in with stupid comment's all day, inboxes from People asking for thing's like old Park Maps, and just the general "Park People" stupidity. I pretty much hate the audience. And it's funny though, Neil pretty much has the same opinion i do anymore over at Roundtable, does Post's saying the same stuff i do, (he called out HH today in profanity laced post for closing the Gates on what is now 4 days in a row for hitting capacity, great job with Carribean Cove HH!!!) but he made his page Private so he don't let in all the moron's. So now when i get good info like i always do, (and say what you want, but i am right with ALOT of stuff most of the time) i'll just only give it to Private Group's anymore, and if i want it out there, i'll give it to Lance at Screamscape. And me and him recently shot e-mail's back and forth a few times talking about the stuff he gets like this from Park Fanboys (mostly from Cedar Point "kiss-asses" on his end) and an e-mail he got from a Park saying "they were dissapointed" that he spoiled something. His view is the same as mine really "oh, well, deal with it" but he had the smart's to turn it into a pretty decent living "spoiling" Park's plans. I hope i get some good news one day way early about a "Record Breaker", then post it month's early so another Park see's it, and then build's the same thing, just a little bigger, or steeper, or whatever.so the initial record mean's nothing. That's a "dream" scenario to me.

For anyone wondering, Kingda Ka reopened about an hour before closing last night. Joker was closed for "maintenance" as I was told.

Also, the log flume was shut down around 7:30 due to one log flume being dislodged and stuck underneath another log. This was right at the end of the turntable when the logs are released into the trough... Not sure how it happened but they looked stuck pretty good.

Edit: http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/joeyc98/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpeg.html

The logs on the Log Flume are most likely to get stuck when there isn't enough water in the flume. Most of the Six Flags parks have a really bad habit of running their flumes without enough water in them, in an attempt (I'm assuming here) to save on their water bill. The lower water levels result in the actual logs simply being pushed by the water current (as opposed to being carried by it) with the wheels actually touching the bottom of the flume. The result is increased friction and frequency of friction between the wheels and the bottom surface of the flume. The result is often a shorter lifespan for both the flume bottom and the wheels on the logs, meaning increased operating costs for maintenance.

They've found a balance between price and quantity that's sold that's profitable for them. That's all they need. If they increase the price by $30, they might lose out on too many passholders that the price increase won't make up for it.

Personally, I wasn't planning on buying a SF pass this year because I did a road trip and have been to three Cedar Fair parks and plan on Dorney as a fourth in a few weeks, so I had spent $280 on my platinum pass with dining. But then I got an email for a $40 SFA gold pass, and visited their water park and theme park, and plan on a day at Great Adventure after Dorney. That's business of mine they wouldn't have otherwise gotten by pricing down, even though I'm not a "scumbag" that trashes the park. It was just too good a deal to pass up and I enjoy visiting Great Adventure. I might even splurge on a flash pass when I visit to treat myself as I haven't been in over a year... so now the chains getting say $100 total they wouldn't otherwise have gotten from me.

I actually think it has less to do with pricing and more to do with CapEx. If you consistently add attractions like tiger exhibits or JL rides, you'll get families. If you add thrill rides like The Joker, you'll get teens and younger, single people who are more likely to be rowdy. After tipping heavily towards the former during the Red Zone era, the park has a nice balance between the two now but I worry it's steadily moving towards the latter and the place will become trashier and less safe over the next few years.

Uh, cause' this Summer i went to SF Great America for a day when out there visiting Friend's. I didn't say it in this post because it was just another Six Flags Park, and i really don't feel the need to explain myself to anyone. I'm the kind of person that is usually happy when people don't like me, i don't have to pretend to like them then. I have my "core" gang, all i need, don't have room or time for any more people. But i shut down Updates now anyway, tired of the Park suck-up, "man-children" that most of still live with "Mommy" coming in with stupid comment's all day, inboxes from People asking for thing's like old Park Maps, and just the general "Park People" stupidity. I pretty much hate the audience. And it's funny though, Neil pretty much has the same opinion i do anymore over at Roundtable, does Post's saying the same stuff i do, (he called out HH today in profanity laced post for closing the Gates on what is now 4 days in a row for hitting capacity, great job with Carribean Cove HH!!!) but he made his page Private so he don't let in all the moron's. So now when i get good info like i always do, (and say what you want, but i am right with ALOT of stuff most of the time) i'll just only give it to Private Group's anymore, and if i want it out there, i'll give it to Lance at Screamscape. And me and him recently shot e-mail's back and forth a few times talking about the stuff he gets like this from Park Fanboys (mostly from Cedar Point "kiss-asses" on his end) and an e-mail he got from a Park saying "they were dissapointed" that he spoiled something. His view is the same as mine really "oh, well, deal with it" but he had the smart's to turn it into a pretty decent living "spoiling" Park's plans. I hope i get some good news one day way early about a "Record Breaker", then post it month's early so another Park see's it, and then build's the same thing, just a little bigger, or steeper, or whatever.so the initial record mean's nothing. That's a "dream" scenario to me.

Why would it be a "dream" for you to ruin your homepark of 30 years' record? I understand breaking a story early for the fans, but to do it to destroy a park that has spoiled its fans SO MUCH over the last 20 years is crazy. Especially when a big source of it is because they didn't put a freakin' JL ride exactly where you wanted it. I can't even imagine what you would do if you had a bottom-dwelling SF like SFA or La Ronde as your homepark.

And you have the right to break stories just like Harry has the right to keep stories under wraps. If he tried breaking every story, his relationship would deteriorate, and 1/2 his content would not exist as the park dorectly gave him that stuff. That means no museum, books, etc... To look down on sites like this or TPR because they respect park wishes is short-sighted.

• Like 1

Knew that was going to happen, why i cut it to plaster it on other sites also. Har, your a good guy and your site is awesome. And i do totally understand why you do what you do, and how you do it. You have an awesome relationship with the Park, and have made sort of a second "living" out of it, being a published author, etc. That is something to be proud of, and you do have something at "stake" if you were to mess it up. But the rest of them........not even going into it anymore. I'm just done.

Just for the record, I do not make one penny on this site and when you throw in the costs associated with it (domains, web hosting services, newsletters, etc.) the small book royalties don't cover the costs either. Sure, I could load the site up with ads, but my feeling is that it would take away from the site and so GAH is ad-free. I never looked at setting this up as a profit-making endeavor. The biggest payoffs for me are the members and the support we do get from the park and the GA community. I like to believe we formed a nice little village here.

Take care Railer.

• Like 6

I know the site don't make anything, and is nothing but an expense. It is a lifelong dedication with you, and i have always respected you for that, and what you have accomplished with it. Wasn't sure how the Book Royalties go until now though. But either way, you guy's are Published Author's, that is a feat to be proud of. Long after you are gone, the Book's and Site will live on. I have that with all the Movies and TV Show's i've been in, "immortality". It is a nice feeling.

And it's just really funny though that a deleted Post here posting someone's Home address got me made an Adiministrator at couple other Page's this morning, i am not alone at all with my feeling's. And with how bigger those audience's are, it's has more impact posted to them anyway.

Just for the record, I do not make one penny on this site and when you throw in the costs associated with it (domains, web hosting services, newsletters, etc.) the small book royalties don't cover the costs either. Sure, I could load the site up with ads, but my feeling is that it would take away from the site and so GAH is ad-free. I never looked at setting this up as a profit-making endeavor. The biggest payoffs for me are the members and the support we do get from the park and the GA community. I like to believe we formed a nice little village here.

Take care Railer.

Thanks for all that you continue to do with this site and for having a great relationship with the park. With the stupidity of what's going on in this thread I thought it should be said. Hopefully it is good bye Railer at this point.

Take care Railer.

I don't know if this is setup here already and I missed it but other forums I'm on have an amazon referral link to buy anything on amazon and then amazon gives you a certain percentage. It's a great way for members to help out and support the website without actually donating money.

Visited for the first time in a while on Sunday and had quite a nice time for a few reasons.

One of the nice unexpected ones was how much is now available on the dining plan -- it used to be restricted to a couple items on a menu, with a couple more available for an upcharge, and now it's almost all items on menus, with no upcharges for anything.

I'm not sure what prompted the change (perhaps the better availability is better "advertising" to those who don't yet have the plan) but it was a very pleasant surprise.

No need for ads! I appreciate your kind suggestions but having the site and having people share whatever photos and memories they have with us makes it all worth it.

Not sure if this was already asked of you a million times but with all the information you have for GA, what stories, events, news, or whatever sticks out the most for you? Perhaps surprising fun facts, surprises, disappointments, and old secrets that isn't well known to the rest of us. Care to share?