VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

Shame the weather is so crumy for Spring Break this week. Of course the weather is supposed to finally warm up and dry out next week.

5 hours ago, Great Adventurer said:

Hopefully everybody who was on an attraction at the park during the earthquake is okay. Probably caused quite a stir among some of the safari animals too.

Depending on what the attraction is, people may not have even noticed it occurring.

I remember from being at a county fair when the one hit the DC area (but was felt up here into NY State) that we noticed it (since we were sitting at a table in plastic chairs, and those felt like they were getting ready to break as has often occurred with such chairs), but others who had been moving or on rides didn't notice that anything had happened (since they are already in motion it may not be enough difference to make it obvious).

• Like 1

so, I heard that the lion statue at the main entrance is temporary, I wonder they will replace it with a new lion statue, maybe like a new version of the lion statue that used to be the welcome sign for the theme park

• Like 1

Much of the park's current operations are downright terrible so far this season. Many of the rides are either SBNO or operating under capacity causing artifically long lines. Only KK and Nitro were running dual trains. Breakdowns have been much more frequent this Spring too.  At least they did improve Nitro's operations since opening weekend as well running Houdini's Escape.

Edited by The Master

I saw the same supervisor rotating between several different rides during my last visit, so hopefully it's just a matter of getting the new ride ops up to speed (no pun intended there). I'd really like to have multiple trains back on all the coasters soon and it's nice to hear that Nitro has two of them now. One train on a 3+ minute ride made for quite the wait, even when it was just from the stairs to the station.

I know they SHOULD have more trains running on the coasters, but unless they purchase additional trains for some of them, there will have to be single train operations at some points with such a short off-season. They used to have 5 months of downtime, but since they started Holiday in the Park and chose to open earlier in the year than they used to, there just isn't enough downtime for the rebuilds/preventative maintenance. They SHOULD purchase additional trains for Superman and Batman so they each have two in operation with a third getting maintenance at all times (SFFT did this with their dive coaster), but not all parks have the budget for that, especially with Kingda Ka and El Toro eating up so much of the maintenance budget each year. We could have better operations (like Dorney) but have a season that runs May to October instead of March to January... 

• Like 1

^ These are very good points. Being fairly local to the park, those lengthened seasons have been excellent to me, and they do seem to have put in a lot of work on Toro (which has been extremely smooth as of late) and Ka (always very costly in general, and operating spectacularly with little down time) this year.

6 hours ago, nbadude44 said:

Was Harry able to buy one of the new customizable bricks before he passed away?

I'm heading to the park this weekend, so I wanna keep my eyes out for it if he did. RIP

There are quite a few bricks that are dedicated to Harry, I’m unsure if he was able to purchase one for himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Operations have somehow declined since two weeks ago. Besides Skull Mt Big Wheel, Sky Ride, Mine Train, and GL still being closed, Medusa and Houdini were also closed today. The drop tower was broken down, test running empty and KK had issues besides declining back to single train operation. 

With so many rides closed the park should be running the remaining rides at extra capacity to make up the difference which of course they are not. Its more than just shorter off seasons as recent past Springs we did not see  such scaled back operations like this Spring. The issue is the CF merger, SF is operating rides at reduced capacity to slash budgets as well as to spur flash pass sales, both to help pay the merger costs. When news of the merger broke out I knew SF would cut corners as its common with corporate mergers, but this is worse than I feared. This may be further compounded that the park itself has bitten off more it can chew in a single season with being stretched thin by engaging in so many projects. 

Besides the reduced capacity, the park was not running any A/C despite being a very warm day. I had to leave the queue for TDK as it was hot, stuffy, and smelly from the sweaty guests inside. Even the shops and bathrooms were hot, again clearly cost cutting.

Hopefully they will increase capacity and improve operations soon but I would not be surprised if they hold off increasing ride capacity until Memorial Day. Regardless, for any out of staters who are reading this, the 2024 Spring season is not the time to visit GADV and I have doubts about the remaining 2024 season. The park is sadly a very poor value at this time with its terrible operations and artificially long, slow lines. The currant situation is like the opposite of the ole War on Lines, its currently a war on rides with half the park SBNO for over a month already with no signs of the situation improving anytime soon.   

Are there any reports of other SF parks having scaled down operations like GADV? It is a shame I have to type such an unfavorable review. At this point I don't plan on visiting the park for a long while, its just not worth the time. I was there for 4 hours and only got on 4 rides, two flats and two coasters near closing. 

Edited by The Master