VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

2 hours ago, The Master said:

Houdini's queue used to have a ramada, a sun shade structure over it's rarely used overflow queue. This year the park has converted that ramada to a solid roof structure and turned the former overflow queue into a VIP garden lounge along with rerouting Houdini's queue.  

OK, never heard of that name for such a structure - thought maybe it was one of those auto correct errors ;)

3 hours ago, BillyG said:

OK, never heard of that name for such a structure - thought maybe it was one of those auto correct errors ;)

The ramada that used to be at Houdini looked similar to this one. Most are usually flat but some are peaked like Houdini's. All are open roofs, basically exposed rafters that are not decked and shingled. 

Cedar_Georgian_Ramada.jpg

This year the park changed the ramada to a solid roof with shingles for the VIP conversion. Overall its a strange change. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Daved Thomson said:

I think your idea that "attendance rates will always be good due to the park being located right in between NYC and Philly," might might be a little short sighted.  Great Adventure's location between those two markets has always represented a greater pool of potential visitors to draw from. If you think about it, those two markets combined means GA enjoys the largest population within a 100 mile radius of the park to draw from (29.6 Million People) than any other U.S. park.  The U.S. park with the next highest population within a 100 mile radius is Magic Mountain (that is about 11 million fewer people within the 100 mile radius of it).  Despite the smaller population of Magic Mountain's 100 mile radius, its attendance versus Great Adventure has, at times, led that of Great Adventure.  Great Adventure's expenses to operate and maintain the park far exceed those of Magic Mountain and the other Six Flags parks, as a result of caring for thousands of exotic animals year-round, fewer operating days overall, maintenance costs, and some departments that are unionized, resulting in higher labor costs.  Even if GA and Magic Mountain drew the same number of guests each season, the profitability of Magic Mountain would likely be higher.  So, in a sense, Great Adventure's attendance must exceed that of any other park in the chain, especially if the bulk of the park's revenues are derived from attendance, in order to operate profitably.  I don't know this for sure, but I have to think that Great Adventure's break even point has always been higher than any of the other parks in the chain.  While some other parks might operate profitably with only 1 million visitors, it might take Great Adventure a minimum of 2 million to do the same.

Otherwise, I fully agree with you that I used to love new coasters all the time.  I just wish they didn't come at the expense of regular maintenance and upkeep of the park's landscaping/appearance/grounds.  I hope something changes, sooner rather than later.

Seems like I forgot to take into account the cost to operate the Safari, thanks for informing me of it. But ultimately I agree with everything you're saying. HersheyPark has been on the come-up for awhile and coasters aside it's one of the best theme parks in the country. Having not owned a season pass for any park for awhile, I may just invest in a pass for that park instead, until GAdv feels more like an actual themepark again and not a dump.

2 hours ago, Tower said:

Seems like I forgot to take into account the cost to operate the Safari, thanks for informing me of it. But ultimately I agree with everything you're saying. HersheyPark has been on the come-up for awhile and coasters aside it's one of the best theme parks in the country. Having not owned a season pass for any park for awhile, I may just invest in a pass for that park instead, until GAdv feels more like an actual themepark again and not a dump.

I haven't bought a SP for Hershey for a couple of years because their operations have really declined. Many SBNO rides, poor food service, reduced ride capacity, slow dispatches, long lines for even low tier flat rides, overcrowded restrooms, and a woefully undersized waterpark. 

Ka's cable snapped... Toro finally reopened, but now Ka needs to reopen before I take on the final two rides in the park's coaster count.

Might go to SFNE first. I heard Marvin still meets there.

Amazing...  And, NOT, in a good way!  What about GA do they claim is part of weird NJ?  I would think that the only thing "weird" about Jungle Habitat was following its closure, when, supposedly, dead animals were found on the property.  I'm guessing, Action Park they classify as part of weird NJ because of how it was allowed to operate for so long with pretty unsafe rides (water and otherwise).  I'm not sure what about GA could possibly fall into their weird category. 

4 hours ago, Daved Thomson said:

I'm not sure what about GA could possibly fall into their weird category. 

If I recall, Weird NJ did a small article years ago about GA’s collection of oversized architecture including the Fort, Super Teepee, Conestoga Wagon, and Yum Yum Palace.  

• Like 2

Its sort of in style to do fusion retro themes on shirts. I saw one that combined Star Wars with 80's GI Joe. Surprised they also didn't make a Weird NJ shirt with 80's Moreys Piers font or Dino Pier font, perhaps too Southern NJ for the magazine as I noticed they seem to prefer more Northern NJ topics. 

• Like 1

IIRC, Chris Gethard (a comedian you may know from Class Action Park) talks a lot about GA in a Weird NJ podcast episode. It's been a while but I think he discusses the Safari, teen culture at the park, and rides that were perceived as unsafe (even if they weren't...). Not really "weird" to us who are close to it, but perhaps to GP.

• 1 month later...

I don't know this is the right thread for this but a few months ago I came across this concept art for a movie themed ride that never got built:

image.png.fadb7e649d6024e7e848a5570ff9e79b.png

thats right, six flags almost built a ice age ride for six flags parks (Great adventure is one of them I guess), I guess this is what six flags wanted to replace old country with (2007-2009 I guess) but didn't happened due to six flags bankruptcy at the time of the concept art release, its a shame because this looks like phase 2 of what would have been the movietown/old country renovation after the opening of dark knight coaster in 2008 so my guess this was going to be added to six flags great adventure for 2009 as a tie in to ice age dawn of the dinosaurs which came out in 2009

I trying to learn what craftsman junction was going to be about since its never got built, was it going to be like spillikin corners from six flags magic mountain (then cyclone bay & now the underground)?, I wanna know

hey, whatever happened to the new boardwalk food court that was advertised in the maps that has chop six express

sorry for double posting, its because of the lack of responses to my post

Edited by harry2004