VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Adventure Theater

As one of the people who actually ran the Theater, this was one of my favorite spotlights to put together! As a matter of fact, I think that my be me in the picture:

19890042.jpg

I remember running that projector VERY well, and loved being able to sit and read books for my college courses all day!

Flight 747!!! I remember back in 80 seeing that film. It was really cool, except for the ending, which had everyone baffled. This woman got

her car stuck on the tracks at a Railroad Crossing, and the camera was attached to the front of the train. Rather than do the intelligent thing

and get out of the way, the woman opts to stand on the tracks between the car and the oncoming locomotive, first yelling at the locomotive to

stop, then shielding her face seconds before the impact. I remember the conversation in the car on the way home turned to the movie, and

my dad was saying "that was the stupidest thing I ever saw. What was she thinking she was protecting her car?" For the rest of the time Flight 747 ran, we used to go in to see it just to laugh at the woman with the car. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it. Thanks for the spotlight! JS

Another Spotlight that took me back in time. Thank's for putting this one together, it brought back some good memories for me. And I still swear at one time there were beanbag chairs in there. I remember me and my friends making a mad dash to get one before they were all taken, and having to lay on the floor when we weren't quick enough. *R*

As one of the people who actually ran the Theater, this was one of my favorite spotlights to put together! As a matter of fact, I think that my be me in the picture:

If I knew that was you back when I took the picture in 1989 I would have stopped to say hello. We would be SO far ahead with the Spotlights if we had the extra 19 years to work on them! :)

I remember a show named Horizons. I believe it played in the late 80's and early 90's. I think it had the Coney Island Cyclone in it...

Yep...1989! I always remembered the name because it shared it with my favorite EPCOT attraction. I remember a wooden coaster, but I'm not sure if it was the Cyclone.

Sigh :( Another attraction that looks like it was a lot of fun, but that I cannot remember distinctively whether or not I was able to partake in. This kind of reminds me of the short surround film they show in I think Canada in EPCOT which I used to enjoy viewing for the exact reason you guys specified about the Adventure Theatre here. Considering the structure seemed pretty easy to set up it's too bad they coudln't find some sort of temporary location where they could ressurect it again for the Fright Fest season each year now or something.

^ That's what I was just going to mention to Railer. Is it possible you are thinking of the cartoons they had in there for Halloween back in the late 80s? I vaguely remember some sort of seats for that.

19890544.jpg

Could have been the late 80s but I think they still showed cartoons for FF in the real early 90s too.

• 6 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=16976:date=Feb 2 2009, 12:29 PM:name=29yrswithaGApass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (29yrswithaGApass @ Feb 2 2009, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=16976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is anyone aware of a park or amusement center that still has an operating Cinema 180 theater?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hershey Park has one that is still standing but it has been converted into Play Dome Arcade. The projector booth is still in there.

Playdome.jpg

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I spent most of 1988 in Cinema 180 - when I wasn't performing the Salty Dog Puppet Show. In fact, I rmember us being so shorthanded that I did both at the same time once in a while. Not bad, since the puppet show was an outside concession - you got paid twice!

The best thing about running the projector - other than car=tching up on reading - was flipping on the house lights and closing the shutter at the exact moment of the final "crash". The objective was to see how many people would fall backwards!

The weirdest was during Deaf Awareness events. The guests couldn't hear the pre-show announcement, amd had no idea I was about to turn the lights out. The were all chatting away in sign language, when , bam - lights out, show starting. I always felt like I was interrupting all of their conversations.

How many pages CAN you read in 9 and a half minutes?

I remember once Rob Einhorn was running the projector (I think it was Rob). I heard an expletive and ran up - the entire booth was covered in film. The rewinder had gone nuts. In fact, that was the most stressful part of working there, rewinding that film.

I also remember making a lot of splices with scotch tape! I am sure the film lost a minute or two by then end of the season.

Yeah, it seems like each showing cost another few frames and you'd have to time that shutter close/lights on that much sooner.

I ended up going to work in a multiplex after working at the park and learned how to run good quality and better maintained equipment which was much easier.

I think the worst part of working in that booth was the metal floor that would bang when you walked on it.

• 1 year later...

I'm probably dating myself a little, but who here remembers that theater over near the Buccaneer/Calypso? It was a pretty good sized "tent" that had a huge projection screen and you'd see the airplane on the screen and it felt like you were on it. I think another one I saw was being on a roller coaster and flying over the Grand Canyon. Amazing after all these years how these GA-related things (fruit drinks, mini golf, concerts, souvenirs and more) just re-enter your mind. This one is for all of us!!! :bananadrum: