VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Movie Town Water Effect

Well, so much for retheming it to Aquaman and launching it as a new ride :-p . But, is ours a Hopkins? Because our lift system is different then this one, and the other SF ones (if I'm correct).

-Dainan "It's still all up in tha air the last I heard" Rafferty

Well, so much for retheming it to Aquaman and launching it as a new ride :-p . But, is ours a Hopkins? Because our lift system is different then this one, and the other SF ones (if I'm correct).

-Dainan "It's still all up in tha air the last I heard" Rafferty

Yep, MTWE was an OD Hopkins Associates design installed in 1987 at the cost of $2.3 million. That seems like a lot of money for such a "basic" water ride. It was never even painted!

Remember, at the time it was built it was the state of the art thrill ride, and there were HUGE lines!

Everyone always bashes it, but it did it's job, getting people wet and making huge splashes. Yes, the Arrow versions and INTAMIN versions are more impressive, but they cost a LOT more and hadn't been invented at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Darn, I really liked that ride, and everybody could just stand on the bridge to get splashed with tons of water. However, there is a rumor going around that this will not be coming down, but Fantasy Fling will be coming down. (Forget where I saw that, I'll try to dig it up and post the link to it.

Is The Dark Knight ride taking over that area as well as where Chiller was?

I thought they were going to make that new ride cover the area of Chiller and the old Freefall site.

I guess that little old lady who was sweeping up during Fright Fest was wrong.

^ Never trust sweepers. Or the Dippin Dots guy. Especially the Dippin Dots guy. They lie!

Back on topic, according to the recent aerial photo update, it was true and Water Effect is toast.

Linkage

Edited by redsoxfan0810

• 1 month later...

Loved the ride back in the day, but with the Chiller usually down, no stunt show, no freefall, and overall lackluster stands there it had been a long time since I had been on the MTWE. Still, it is sad to see these rides go even though something refreshing will be taking their place.

That would be awesome. Even though there is Hurricane Harbor, every good theme park needs a few decent water rides inside for those hot summer afternoons. GA is desperately in need of one to show up now that the MTWE is gone. And a bigger one like Dorney's would be awesome. I personally would love to see something akin to Escape from Pompei in BGW myself but that may be stretching it a bit. Our own version of White Water Landing would be great as well though.

Also with Dorney their water park is free with the dry park and you can walk between the two without going though admission gates. With GAdv and HH are two different admissions and are even a good hike from each other. There is a tram that runs between GAdv and HH but it still probably take some time.