VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Future of the Buccaneer

I just want to know everyones thoughts on this ride. Its kind of old. And not in great shape. But still gives a good ride. I personally think this year they should scrap it, and replace it right away with a better one that goes higher. Pirate ships are fun but ours is just a once a year thing.

The park should keep it, It has already been discussed here that the main reason the Buccaneer does not swing as high anymore is because of insurance reasons not old age. If the park did replace it with a newer model they would tune that one down too, just the sign of the times.

Edited by The Master

I've ridden the Bucanneer alot this season, since it is one of my Daughters favorite's. And it does still go pretty high up, Higher than people seem to think. I hope they keep it, it's a classic version of the ride. And if it's doing fine mechanically no reason for it to go.

I rode Buccaneer for many years and it seems it does not swing as high as it used to, SFA also has a first gen Buccaneer (spitting image of GAdv's) but there's swings higher than GAdv's. I remember years ago you used to feel more neg Gs when riding Buccaneer than now, even my friends and family members say it does not swing as it used too, of course that mini coaster is jammed right next to Buccaneer so maybe it's a clearance issuse? But we alreadly talked about this in the Looping Starship spotlight thread ;) , 29years with a pass even posted a picture show how far the Buccaneer used to swing and how far it swings now.

Edited by The Master

It goes higher than that pic. shows (no offence Harry) The Boat does clear the base of the ride on the times Iv'e ridden it this year. I'll grab a pic. as I'm going to the park a few times this week. It may not go as high as it used to, but it still gets up there pretty good.

I rode Buccaneer for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago, and it was swinging just as high as it did back when it opened. I remember specifically that it cleared the drive tires to the point where you could see them fully (and into the pit), and the ends of the ship would clear the wood pilings.

Well the park may have improved the Buccaneer's operation at some point this season which is good. Come to think of it the Buccaneer was swinging higher the last time I rode it this season than it had in awhile. At any point it was swinging lower for a few years but it seems the park may have fixed it recently :D .

Edited by The Master

This is a keeper. We have ridden it a few times this season, and it has offered a nice and reliable ride each time we were on it. I don't see the park getting rid of this as they haven't had many problems it would seem. Although who knows really there could be a lot of upkeep we don't know about.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how high it used to go, I went on it four the 1st time this year.. I've been on lots of other swinging ships like at fairs and stuff.. so i've never had an interest in going on it.. but it seems slow to me.. like it goes high, but not fast. and forgive me but what insurance issues?

• 11 months later...

Just wondering how this ride has survived the years along with the Super Round Up? It's a park staple along with other flats that have gone, how can the repair costs be cheaper than the others if the ride is always operating? It does'nt really make sense? Is it because the ride is more popular than say the Flying Swings? I dont know , I'm just thinking way to deep I guess.

You have to consider what can go wrong with the ride and that may shed some light on why these rides are still around. Both the Buccaneer and the Super Round Up operate using simple drive tires. The Super Round Up's are on the side of the ride and the Buccaneer's underneath. While the Super Round Up also makes use of a hydraulic arm, there are very few moving parts like gears to wear down and require replacement. The Flying Wave on the other hand had many moving parts needed for the rides rotation, lift, tilt, etc.

The Bucanear it definitaly a keeper. I'm not sure anything about how high it goes, but it definatly gets the job done. If anything, it can be taller (elevation wise, so that might meen taking it down, re landscaping and elevating and construction) repainted, wider for more air time and a deeper moat. But, its liivable. :rolleyes:

The Bucanear it definitaly a keeper. I'm not sure anything about how high it goes, but it definatly gets the job done. If anything, it can be taller (elevation wise, so that might meen taking it down, re landscaping and elevating and construction) repainted, wider for more air time and a deeper moat. But, its liivable. :rolleyes:

PLEASE check your spelling before posting...

• 3 weeks later...