VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Adding Iron Menace for 2024

GAcoaster

As expected Dorney announced Iron Menace, a new 152' tall B&M Dive Coaster for 2024.

The coaster will have 4 inversions and is just 2,200 feet long: https://www.dorneypark.com/new-in-2024

Designed by: Bolliger & Mabillard
Coaster type: Dive
Height of drop: 152 feet
Angle of first drop: 95 degrees (for reference, 90 degrees is vertical)
Top speed: 64 miles per hour
Inversions: 4 (Immelman 180-degree turn, zero g-roll 360-degree inversion in weightlessness, world’s first tilted loop on a dive coaster, 360-degree corkscrew spin)
Length: 2,169 feet
Duration: 90 seconds
Trains: 2
Riders per train: 21

They went with the new D7 model, like Dr. Diabolical.  

Backstory: The Mystery Behind the Menace
In the early 1900s, Scottish businessman Hiram S. McTavish opened McTavish Steel Mill, a direct competitor to Bethlehem Steel Company. Greed dictated McTavish’s every move, and he was well known to prioritize profits above people.

With an eye on maximizing output, McTavish created a massive hauler he dubbed “Iron Menace,” a device the steel industry had never seen. The rail transporter moved workers and ore at record volumes and dizzying speeds.

Suddenly the greedy steel baron mysteriously disappeared—no one knows how or where. Shortly after, McTavish Steel Mill closed. All that remains today are the mill’s decrepit shell, rusty relics and wild tales of the owner’s whereabouts.

Hiram McTavish is one of the graves in the Ghost Town section of Knott's Berry Farm.

EEHWlDNVAAEZPM2?format=webp&name=900x900

On 8/10/2023 at 3:04 PM, The Master said:

Shame they wasted this coaster by putting it in current day Dorney. 

why did you thinking about it?, this coaster will brings more people or Dorney park and maybe this lead to cedar fair to invest into Dorney park more

• 6 months later...

Opening Day for Iron Menace is May 10th. For the first time in a while, a new coaster at Dorney might have crowds with it being a Music in the Parks Day. Stinger had low waits opening weekend, I waited 10 minutes on the 2nd day it was open. Voodoo/Possessed was delayed and didn't open on time so without much notice, there weren't large crowds. Hydra's opening day was rainy and lines weren't too long.

• Like 1

Really hoping Cedar Fair takes the lead on all parks after the merger. Rides should be ready at the start of the season, not mid-summer. I like that their parks have been embracing their uniqueness and moving away from cookie cutter additions, and I hope as combined company this continues. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Screamscape reports that Dorney is removing the old speed slides from WWK. While not my favorites its still sad that they are being removed as they are the last of the original 1985 slides when the water park first opened. That pretty much leaves the old wavepool as the last oc the original 1985 attractions for WWK. The speed  slides are also the last of the wooden water slide towers in WWK. 

On 4/11/2024 at 1:08 AM, The Master said:

Screamscape reports that Dorney is removing the old speed slides from WWK. While not my favorites its still sad that they are being removed as they are the last of the original 1985 slides when the water park first opened. That pretty much leaves the old wavepool as the last oc the original 1985 attractions for WWK. The speed  slides are also the last of the wooden water slide towers in WWK. 

Those were my go to slides when the water park was crowded. It seemed like those slides rarely had much of a wait compared to other slides.

13 hours ago, Great Adventurer said:

From all accounts it looks like Iron Menace enjoyed a wonderful media day/soft opening.

Look at those awesome ride ops uniforms!

I wonder if those are the actual uniforms are were they just for the media event?

On 4/18/2024 at 8:25 PM, Great Adventurer said:

From all accounts it looks like Iron Menace enjoyed a wonderful media day/soft opening.

Look at those awesome ride ops uniforms!

Unusual amount of theming for Dorney.