VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure park reinventing the wheel

GAcoaster

From the Asbury Park Press:

Great Adventure park reinventing the wheel

By Keith Ruscitti • TOMS RIVER BUREAU • February 5, 2009

When the Ferris wheel was brought to Great Adventure by the park's founder, Warner LeRoy, in 1974, it was considered one of the premiere amusement rides in the world.

Thusly, when Great Adventure opened in Jackson, all roads inside led to the "Big Wheel." It was visible to visitors from all corners of the 1,500-acre site and became one of the customary meeting places for tourists.

Standing 150 feet high and weighing in at 160 tons, it was considered one of the largest rides in the world at the time.

"It was part of Mr. LeRoy's philosophy to have the biggest, the largest, the fastest in order to get attention," said Jim Futrell, the author of four books on amusement parks in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Now, in honor of the ride's 35th anniversary, management has spent the off season refurbishing the "Big Wheel," complete with thousands of new, energy-efficient Light Emitting Diode bulbs. Maintenance crews and electricians are midway through the six-month process of getting the new, improved brighter Ferris wheel ready for the park's April opening.

"It's very common for theme parks to want to preserve their iconic attractions especially if they've become a part of a park's character," said Great Adventure spokeswoman Angel Aristone. "And the Big Wheel is definitely part of our property's character."

Beginning in the late 1980s, Ferris wheels began to get bigger and bigger. The 212-foot Texas Star was built in Dallas during that decade to eclipse the size of the Big Wheel.

In 1999, the 443-foot London Eye was completed. Three years ago, the Singapore Flyer was finished, dwarfing all other Ferris wheels worldwide by measuring in at 525-feet high.

But instead of a bigger and faster ride, Great Adventure's park management went the cleaner and greener route to attract attention.

Futrell said the conversion to eco-friendly lights started during the past decade. He added that he feels the trend will continue for a variety of reasons.

"It's become a hot thing in Ferris wheels," said Futrell, who has been the historian for the National Amusement Park Historical Association since 1984.

"Not only are the LED lights more cost efficient, but you can do so much more with them," said Futrell. "The giant wheel at Morey's Pier (Wildwood) went to the new lights a few years ago and it looks spectacular."

Management expects Great Adventure's light show to be equally as creative.

The new visuals will include multicolored lights arranged in a floral pattern. Crews will be applying more than 100 gallons of bright paint to the ride as well.

"It is important to restore (Big Wheel) to its original, historic beauty," said Mark Kane, president of Six Flags Great Adventure park. "While at the same time, we are improving its impact on the environment."

Park officials estimate the new energy efficient lights will reduce carbon emissions by about 8.5 million pounds.

The Big Wheel, along with the sky ride, log flume, and the flying wave, are the original four major rides still active at the park.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Big Wheel, along with the sky ride, log flume, and the flying wave, are the original four major rides still active at the park." Mistake, Flying Wave has been removed, unless they know something we don't.

They also forgot the Carousel and Runaway Mine Train (although technically it opened 3 days after the rest of the park).

Here is a link to a video inside the paint shop at Great Adventure where the rehab is happening.

It is interesting that they say that about 8000 LED lights are being installed. That is only about half of the 15,640 bulbs that made up the old floral patterns. I have to wonder if they are just going to install lighting on one side (the fountain side) of the wheel?

Here are scans of the hard-copy Asbury Park Press article:

gallery_2_43_881311.jpg

gallery_2_43_270465.jpg

gallery_2_43_109210.jpg

Maybe with the brighter LED's they are cutting the number in half, or like you said only lighting the side facing the Fountain. To be honest with you, I would rather see them light the Fountain side only. With that many LED's on one side it would truly be spectacular. And imagine with a "chasing", or "explosion" pattern, it will be a sight to behold. I think I am getting more excited about this Season, than I have the last few. To me, this is bigger news than the Dark Knight was last year. A "new" Medusa, A "new" Big Wheel (hopefully a name change is in store for it too) And a new Float for the Parade. My question list for Angel (if she is there) at Eastcoaster is bigger by the day!!!!

Im loving this news. One of my favorite wheels is the one in Wildwood and with the new lighting package it will definitely give ours that standout lighting it has been lacking for a while now. Not only that but the wheel deserved a lot better than to have huge sections of its lighting not working like it did in the last few years.

To me this is better news than the Medusa redo. It is great to hear that an original GA ride is getting some TLC. It deserves to be given the great make-over that it appears to be getting.

As far as comparing the new lights to the Giant Wheel in Wildwood, keep a few things in mind. The WW wheel has over 200,000 LEDs compared to GA's proposed 8000. All 200,000 lights are on one side of the wheel giving it a really impressive presentation.

I think GA's wheel will also be very impressive but I have a feeling it will have more of a classic lights display- more traditional and formal than WW's high speed Vegas style presentation. Given the forest setting of GA's wheel, that is OK by me! ;)

^^I think once the park goes public with the Medusa information we may all be more excited with it than we are now.

When we heard Big Wheel was getting a rehab, we were all like, Oh. Yay!

When we heard Medusa was getting a rehab, we were all like, OMG finally!

Now that the park has went public with what they are doing to Big Wheel, we're all like "OMFGZ I CAN'T WAIT I'M SO HAPPY!

Imagine how we'll react when they go public with Medusa.

Edited by ChrisChavan

This season seems like it's going to be a really good one. No new rides, but reinvented ones. In a way, sort of like 2007. Chiller opening up again was, for me, one of the best things the park did. 2007 was one of my favorite years at the park. I can't wait for April 4th!

:iagree: as long as nothing is removed.

That's great that the LEDs have standard bulb bases. They could easily do Granny's and the Carousel and just about every ride in the park with LEDs over the next few years.

That's a great point. If only the Flying Wave lasted long enough for this to come about because those usually look great at night with the LEDs installed.