VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great Adventure park reinventing the wheel

GAcoaster

I am not an LED expert so please don't mind my question....

Don't they have to replace (or at minimum rewire) the sockets/ballast for the LED bulbs for them to be synchronized for patterns and lighting effects? So for things like Granny's, Carousel, Fling, etc., other than just remaining constantly illuminated modifications to the electrical system would need to happen. I think half the problems with the non-illuminated bulbs on these attractions are probably faulty sockets/lighting sections do to age rather than just burnt out bulbs.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I'm not really sure exactly how that would work in terms of patterning. I do know that many LED models are made to fit and work with rpe-existing sockets so I would imagine that if there were patterns that the current wiring is capable of than the LED's would have no problem working with those as well and for longer as they tend to last longer as well. In terms of adding patterning to existing structures if they do not currently do it, then I would assume it would take a lot to have that done, but I wouldn't know for sure.

I'm wondering if there's more to these bulbs than meets the eye. The size of them suggests that there's a lot of electronics inside them. I know there are ways to actually signal through existing electrical wires to turn on and turn off LEDs on command. Basically, they are always "turned on" and when sent the command by a processor using the electric wiring the internal chip activates the requested LED. The "blooming flower" effect I believe was something the Big Wheel did when it first opened, so that may be just updating the existing wiring which would be simple enough since that's just repairing/replacing wires and regular a-type sockets.

I'm wondering if there's more to these bulbs than meets the eye. The size of them suggests that there's a lot of electronics inside them. I know there are ways to actually signal through existing electrical wires to turn on and turn off LEDs on command. Basically, they are always "turned on" and when sent the command by a processor using the electric wiring the internal chip activates the requested LED. The "blooming flower" effect I believe was something the Big Wheel did when it first opened, so that may be just updating the existing wiring which would be simple enough since that's just repairing/replacing wires and regular a-type sockets.

Model trains have been using this technology for years so it could be possible for the Big Wheel.

^^Did they have any other GADV memorabelia?(sorry if it's spelt wrong)

I'm really glad to see they're keeping the floral pattern. It really sets the Big Wheel apart from other ferris wheel designs. Perhaps with all of this attention going to revamp rides, maybe the Carousel will be on top of next years list? Hoping....

Pete

Next Year?!?!?!? Maybe, let's hope, it's happening right now! It is possible.

It would be ultra cool if they went all out with the LED lights, and reinvented the Super Round Up with em too!

Flying Wave returning with LED's would also be great.

• 1 month later...