VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

If you had $50 Million to spend on anything in the park

Lets say you were in charge of the park and $50 million just appeared and you could spend it on anything you wanted to improve the park. It can not be used to pay off debt. That would never happen, but thats not the point.

- Bring back the Right Stuff and rebuild it's incredible extended queue

- Reopen Houdini

- Bring daily fireworks back

- Bring back shows to unused show facilities

- Build a Looney Tunes themed ride

- Retheme Movietown

What would you do?

I don't think that $50 million would do all that. Part of the problem with the question is knowing just how much $50 million can buy. When you consider the pricetag of a really good dark ride (Disney/Universal/Busch style) can be tens of millions of dollars, it's hard to say. Supposedly the Golden Kingdom and Kingda Ka cost about $52 million...that's really not much new stuff for the money.

I don't think that $50 million would do all that. Part of the problem with the question is knowing just how much $50 million can buy. When you consider the pricetag of a really good dark ride (Disney/Universal/Busch style) can be tens of millions of dollars, it's hard to say. Supposedly the Golden Kingdom and Kingda Ka cost about $52 million...that's really not much new stuff for the money.

Exactly why Burke and Kinzel build mega coasters. Building "Disney" style "dark rides" require major investments. "Toy Story Midway Mania" has been purported to cost in excess of $100M alone. That's just about the entire 2008 CapEx for Six Flags Inc.! Rides like "El Toro" attract and maintain high ridership levels for multiple seasons. People return to Great Adventure to experience "El Toro". Can the same be reasonably be said for TDK? "The Dark Knight" was half the cost of a B&M Dive Machine, and I'd wager its ridership levels experienced greater dropoffs than "Griffon". Plus, "The Dark Knight" is embarrassingly inferior to the efforts produced by Disney, Universal, or Busch/Sally; and it's been noticed by the GP.

*It should be noted Sally builds well received dark rides within TDK's budget.

Edited by Thunderbolt

-Add a Zamperla Family Swinger to replace Flying Wave

-Add a Zamperla Ballon Race with ballons themed to the original GADV Hot-air balloon

-Rebuild Super Teepee

-Put in a Native-American Medicine Man Themed Scrambler inside the teepee

-Put in a new Zamperla Monster Spin in the abandoned area where EVOLUTION used to be

-Add a C.P.Hunnington Train to go through the woods called "The Warner Leroy Express"

-Use the festival stage as a station for a Zamperla monorail with pirate ship trains

-Put in a new shooting gallery in the old Western Shooting Gallery

-Add a Splash Battle ride themed to carnival games in Looping Starship's old spot.

I know I would do a lot of preventative maintenance on some of the Park's oldest icons. I would also bring back the Super Teepee (with an enclosed flat ride inside) as well as add a replica of the original Lion Sign in the center planter of the outer entrance mall of the park. The Lion would make a great spot for people to get their picture taken for Six Flags Photos.

Add an interactive dark ride, it doesn't have to be anything too special. Reese's at Hershey cost I think $5 million

Re-open Tango, Houidini and Old Country (including Music Express and Autobahn) and add some Antique Cars in Old Country

Add a Dive Machine

Add some classic flats, Scrambler, Whip (if they can still be purchased), Tilt A Whirl

Edited by Yoshi
  • Like 1

Reopen Houdini, bumper cars, Tango, and Musik Express.

Bring back The Right Stuff and Rodeo Stampede.

Install a new flying wave swing ride and a modern splash down ride.

Restore the remaining classic GAdv icons.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm... $50 million...?

First off, paint that skyline in Dark Knight.

Reopen Houdini

A. Retheme Nitro's station, it's so boring.

B. Add a soundtrack to the lifthill of Nitro, with suspensful music

Get RID of Great American Scream Machine, sell the metal for scrap, and build a stand-up coaster BUT keep the same station, I like the station.

Build a Looney Tunes themed boat dark ride or maybe not a boat, that went through famous scenes in the cartoons.

Retrack Rolling Thunder, I heard they did that to Hurler and it got a lot smoother... and give it a new coat of paint because it looks horrible.

Add more theming elements to Boardwalk (make it more like Hershey's Boardwalk, with postcards from real boardwalks, seagull sounds, etc.)

Build a dark ride (like a haunted house ride)... they really need one, or maybe even two. It doesn't have to be Disney-amazing, just like stuff you would find on the Boardwalk on the shore... with cool stunts and stuff.

• 10 months later...

I have not been to Great Adventure in my Life. So...

If I Had 50 Million:

• Add A Live Stunt/Magic/Dance Show Somewhere
  • Add a New Simulator Film based on "Jonah Hex"
  • Add New Generation Trains on Rolling Thunder (Like the Ones going on Voyage This Year http://www.holidayworld.com/blog/4)
  • Add Onboard Audio on Nitro
  • New Vekoma Redesigned Trains on Great American Scream Machine (Like these http://carolinacobra.carowinds.com/public/...ndex.cfm#trains)
  • Add more LED Lights around the Park
  • Add Wind Fans around the Property
  • Replace Some Blacktop with Concrete
  • Add a Tunnel to Superman
  • Add a "Tunnel of Love" to the Log Flume
  • Retheme Nitro to "Green Lantern" and Repaint it Green Track and Black Supports
  • Rename "Mama Flora's Grill" to "Jokers Diner"
  • Rename "Papa Johns Riverbank Pizza" to "Penguin's Papa Johns Pizza"
  • Rename "Cold Stone Creamery" to "Mr. Freeze Cold Stone Lair"
  • Add a Mack Interactive Dark Ride themed to "Batman Begins"
  • Rename "Twister" to "Riptide"
  • Add a Proslide Water Coaster to Hurricane Harbor (Maybe call it "Castaway Coaster" or Something)

Please don't Bash Me

Edited by Coaster Justin

I have not been to Great Adventure in my Life. So...

If I Had 50 Million:

• Add A Live Stunt/Magic/Dance Show Somewhere
  • Add a New Simulator Film based on "Jonah Hex"
  • Add New Generation Trains on Rolling Thunder (Like the Ones going on Voyage This Year http://www.holidayworld.com/blog/4)
  • Add Onboard Audio on Nitro
  • New Vekoma Redesigned Trains on Great American Scream Machine (Like these http://carolinacobra.carowinds.com/public/...ndex.cfm#trains)
  • Add more LED Lights around the Park
  • Add Wind Fans around the Property
  • Replace Some Blacktop with Concrete
  • Add a Tunnel to Superman
  • Add a "Tunnel of Love" to the Log Flume
  • Retheme Nitro to "Green Lantern" and Repaint it Green Track and Black Supports
  • Rename "Mama Flora's Grill" to "Jokers Diner"
  • Rename "Papa Johns Riverbank Pizza" to "Penguin's Papa Johns Pizza"
  • Rename "Cold Stone Creamery" to "Mr. Freeze Cold Stone Lair"
  • Add a Mack Interactive Dark Ride themed to "Batman Begins"
  • Rename "Twister" to "Riptide"
  • Add a Proslide Water Coaster to Hurricane Harbor (Maybe call it "Castaway Coaster" or Something)

Please don't Bash Me

after all that u prob would still have 30 million to play with...

Scooby Doo dark ride

Monster Mansion dark ride

Looney Tunes themed motion simulator

Themed family coaster

Upgrade TDK's theming and finish the damn skyline

Scrap GASM, retrack RT

Reopen Tango and Houdini

Remove excessive ads

Spend the rest on flats scattered around the park

Turn the Great Arena back into what is was intended to be! Spend alot of money in Safari updating buildings and exhibits, the animals there ARE worth alot of money so it would be wise to care for them!

Edited by Gary Hill

I would develope more land and stop cramming into the existing space. Build a parking lot in nearby woods, keeping 50% of the trees so you park under the shade of trees, with a train that takes guests to a new front gate located in what is currently the back corner of the current lot, where the employee lot meets the guest lot. Then develope what is the current lot into a new themed area.

What would I do? Lets see...

• Batman stunt show
  • retheme Twister to something with a beach name
  • Rehab and timberliners on RT
  • reopen Tango
  • Since it looks like the simulator theater is getting the hook, put the seats into a looney tune themed theater in LTSP
  • retheme Congo Rapids to Looney Tunes, along with rehab effects, and covering up backstage areas
  • new vekoma trains on GASM
  • DROP TOWER: GYRO DROP-Evolution's old spot
  • about $10-15 million on flats
  • retheme and sprucing up areas of park-Movietown, Lakefront, Fantasy Forest specifically
  • Open Old Country with bavarian village with games, shops, etc.
  • Tear down Showcase theater and build an open air theater like this
  • use remaining money on chipping in for a hotel. Partner up with major hotel company, allow them to build on Gadv propety as long as Gadv gets some of the profits, and Gadv will chip in a little to build it.

Your idea about a hotel on the grounds would be a great thing! Last year when I came to visit I had trouble finding a decent hotel close enough to the park. It had been 35 yrs since I lived there for two and I forgot the area, had alittle trouble finding my way around.

50 mill here i go

1) install a 25 million dollar coaster in old country, it will be atleast 1 min liong after the drop

2) relocate authobahn and musik express over by the lakefront facing the water

3) relight the track of rolling thunder

4)bring back the ski show

5) revamp fort independence, new seating and expand the pool for more room for the animals

6) redo the stunt arena as a permenant hi-dive show simmilar to the 90's version of the hi-dive show

Unfortunately that wouldn't be enough to make all the changes I'd want to make.

First, the day after the season ends I would rip up just about all the sidewalks and begin utility upgrades with new power, phone and data lines run throughout the park to get everything working properly. Currently the grid is falling apart with too much growth and not enough growth of the support structures over the years. Once all that is in place, repave everything with new stamped concrete walkways.

Improve the parking lot with new pavement and a tree lined walkway down the center (like Hershey's).

At the same time, move SUF to Chiller's old spot where it should have been to start with.

Build a new theater where in what was Old Country, with the entrance where the Enterprise was. The theater would be a new state of the art facility with full climate control, proper rake and fly space above the stage for set changes.

Expand Movietown with a new path connecting the path between the Stunt Arena and BTR with the path between Rapids and Nitro, adding a flat ride or two back there.

That's probably more than $50 million right there, but those would be HUGE changes that the park really could use.

Give me another $50 and we swap the picnic pavilions with the offices and support buildings. Wardrobe, Cash Control and all the support facilities should be near the center of the park. Along with that, expand and improve the entrance plaza creating an expanded dining and shopping facilities along Main Street. Out in the Outer Mall as part of that expansion build an underpass to allow a proper access road for delivering people and materials to all the areas of the park without having to go through the park.

Terminate the Boardwalk at the top where the Parachuter's Perch is, and remove GASM and the old Admin building using that area for a new themed coaster of some kind.

I'd also connect the end of the path at Kingda Ka with the path over near the bridge and add a flat ride or two out that way.

With all of this I would also look to build a hotel/waterpark, re-plant trees throughout the parks and Safari, rehab existing structures and rides to look like new again, replace the generic uniforms with themed uniforms again, bring back more shows, replace flat rides that are conspicuously absent like the swings and bumper cars. I would also bring back a Holiday in the Park event.

• 1 year later...

First, I would take that 50 million dollars and play 50 million dollars worth in the lottery when it got towards 200 million dollars and win it all.

-THEN would I start to make changes, starting with rebuilding the chiller to properly work to serve as the crowd bringer for the park.

-Hoping for a huge turnout of people for chillers opening day, I would bring back other classic rides while im at it, such as musik express, autobahn,looping starship,etc. POSSIBLY even lighting loops and a better viper that didnt hurt.

-Expand the park to make a section devoted to old rides. Combined with the chiller, this would hopefully revive the park to 100 percent and bring in a load of money.

-Then, after the first years of the new section/chiller and the huge profit it would hopefully bring in, I would make all those little changes that the park needs.

-I would also re-do the parking lot/make a whole new parking lot somewhere a bit away. I guess this would require a new entrance too. Both the parking lot and new entrance would have trees and shrubs in it because seeing the current entrance all barren and open and tree-less annoys me and honestly, I like the park better when there were a lot more trees and more shaded areas.

-Then, after several years with a huge profit, I would litteraly dig up the dark night, keeping it in the building, and plop it down in an open field exactly the way it was in the park.

-Then, I would legitamitely explode it so that every little bit was completely demolished and can't even be found. This step could wait until we have plenty of money so we can cover the costs to explode it, and pay people to come out and see it. This event would be globally aired, as it should be were this to ever happen because the dark knight is a piece of crap.

Thank you for your time.

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass
Profanity

I already did one, So Why not do another one right?

- Add an 8 Lane Racing Slide Complex to Hurricane Harbor

- Add a Proslide Behemoth Bowl to Hurricane Harbor

- Remove the Dark Knight Ride and Add a Euro Fighter in it's place

- Turn the rest of Looney Tunes Seaport into Safari Kids

- Reopen Old Country

- Add Superman trains to Batman (The Restraints can allow larger riders so that's why)

- Add A Collection of Zamperla Family Rides for the 42-54 group (Balloon Race, Flying Carousel, Kite Flyers, Etc.)

- Double the Number of Lockers in Frontier Adventures (Next to Runaway Mine Train, Next to Bizarro, Etc.)

- Add a Mack Splash Battle Water Ride where Freefall was (To Allow Kids/Families to do stuff there)