VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags Ride Rotation Program

29yrswithaGApass

Building a coaster over a parking lot like Superman helps to attract more people to it since it's one of the first rides they see after getting out of their cars. It may not be pretty to build a coaster like that but it helps draw more people to it. That is besides being a lower capcity ride and being next door to a "new" (at least to most GADV vistors) coaster now. There are also other rides, restrooms, shops, and food service nearby to Superman.

If you need to build a roller coaster in the parking lot in order for anyone to be interested in riding it, it's not worth building.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But IF it is true - and it could be, who knows? - then I could most see Bizarro headed for St. Louis.

If it's true, it also doesn't mean that a new coaster at Great Adventure - presumably a B&M Wing - would go right in its spot. I heard that another location was being considered for a 2013 coaster. Just like how the new Wing at Great America is not going into Iron Wolf's spot.

Someone above mentioned a B&M 4D? Do you guys really think that's what they're working up to? I don't. I think the Wing Coaster is enough - let the line of the track govern flips and inversions, not the individual turning of seats. Too many movng parts! That's how B&M's ideas have succeeded - they're simple and obvious.

Most other SF parks DON'T have a SUF. SF Over Georgia, Great Adventure, Great America have B&M flying coasters of the SUF design. Magic Mountain has a custom B&M flying, and SF America has a Vekoma Flying Dutchman. (Other parks that have a Superman-themed ride could always call a transplanted SUF something else, right?) That leaves eight other Six Flags parks that could be new homes to flying coasters - which makes me think the idea of corporate nixing Great Adventure's SUF from "The List" because Great America listed theirs first doesn't make much sense.

And as for a new flat on the teepee site - the only thing I want to see in that spot is a new teepee.

The mumblings I'm hearing from within the park all seem to be pointing to this season quite possibly being the last season for Bizarro. From what I have been able to piece together and again I can't confirm any of this but it does come from a collection of reliable sources is that all of the parks in the SF chain were asked to submit to corporate a coaster to be put on the "list" for ride rotation. Gadv was told they could not submit SUF because Gam had already put their SUF on the list so there was absolutely no other choice that could be made Bizarro was pretty much forced on the list.

More things I'm hearing suggest that the five "big parks": Gadv, MM, Gam, oT & oG are all required to give a coaster to the ride rotation program once every 5 years....Gam & MM have already done so. One source of mine claims however that gadv, MM & Gam have three coasters on their 5 year plans. The push that seems to be getting made right now for this year is that Bizarro is out...IMO its likely destination is between SFstl & SFoT. And 2013 we will be getting an all new B&M coaster in its spot.....I have my fingers crossed its a B&M 4D and NOT a wing rider.....but the hurtful pit in the bottom of my stomach tells me its a wing rider which makes me angry cause I've been actively posting that I wanted a B&M 4D since 2003! And you know if we get a wing rider it means you can kiss a B&M 4D goodbye

It is I was just contacted by a 100% reliable inside source who tells me that bizarro is absolutely not going anywhere for the 2013 season. As for this rumor it was chatter coming from people that while not inside sources usually seem to have reliable info....in this case it wound up being absolutely wrong so at this point I wouldn't take anything at all from this rumor as true....ride rotation, lists, etc etc just forget it was ever mentioned. Sorry for sharing I don't usually say things without being sure of them but when I saw someone already posted what I had also heard I felt compelled to share that I had heard it too, that wont be happening again anytime soon

THIS. Unless it's via press release, we know nothing - and even then things can change.

And as for a new flat on the teepee site - the only thing I want to see in that spot is a new teepee.

For the love of all things holy, THIS

As for Superman, it's a mediocre ride compared to the rest in the park. If memory serves me right, the nearest flying coaster to it is in Six Flags America, but even then it's not a big deal. It's a gimmick coaster, but sadly, it's the gimmicks that keep people comming back and causes it to have lines while something like GASM didnt. Now, I hated GASM with a passion, but I liked it more then Superman.

I personally don't like the idea of losing Medusa, but compared to the rest of the coaster collection, it makes sense! Medusa just isn't as popular as it was back in the early 2000s. With other B&Ms in the park that do different things, Medusa is just dull. I'm sure the general public doesn't even notice a difference between Green Lantern and Medusa except for the fact that one stands up! Also, if anyone remembers, Medusa's last year as "Medusa," the ride didn't open till noon because it wasn't drawing enough crowds. Medusa being transformed into Bizarro was its last leg at life. Because of Medusa's location, I'm sure if the park got rid of it, most guests wouldnt even notice that something is missing.

As for Superman, yes I would preffer to see that go. However, Superman draws crowds and is still popular amongst the general public.

Keep in mind, this is all just speculation.

-Dainan

I sure can tell the difference between GL and Bizarro, one hurts my legs while the latter doesn't. Personally I rather see GL go before Bizarro, but I know that won't happen.

Edited by The Master

I personally don't like the idea of losing Medusa, but compared to the rest of the coaster collection, it makes sense! Medusa just isn't as popular as it was back in the early 2000s. With other B&Ms in the park that do different things, Medusa is just dull. I'm sure the general public doesn't even notice a difference between Green Lantern and Medusa except for the fact that one stands up! Also, if anyone remembers, Medusa's last year as "Medusa," the ride didn't open till noon because it wasn't drawing enough crowds. Medusa being transformed into Bizarro was its last leg at life. Because of Medusa's location, I'm sure if the park got rid of it, most guests wouldnt even notice that something is missing.

As for Superman, yes I would preffer to see that go. However, Superman draws crowds and is still popular amongst the general public.

Keep in mind, this is all just speculation.

-Dainan

Fair enough, but you can't tell me if Medusa and Superman were to switch locations then it would be Superman on the potential chopping block and not Medusa.

There is only one reason that Superman draws more crowds. I said it before and I'll say it again.

It's a gimmick coaster, but sadly, it's the gimmicks that keep people comming back

Medusa has a better track record then Superman maintenance wise and for that reason alone it should stay. It makes more sense to me that keeps drawing some kind of crowds and doesn't break down then something that is a mechanical nightmare. This is of course if the two were to go head to head.... which won't happen. Also, I do agree to a point where most guests wouldn't notice, because the year it re-opened as Bizarro, I can't even begin to tell you how many people thought it was something brand new.

The 90's coasters (BTR, B&R:Chiller, Medusa/Bizarro, Skull Mountain, Viper) shot SFGA up the ladder of leading theme/amusement parks. SF wouldn't be this developed without the help of those rides. Hate to see these rides go (B&R:Chiller,Viper). Now that Medusa/Bizarro might be leaving, the park is transforming into a different era. With most of the 90's/pre 90 coasters gone, this new generation of roller coasters can be built. To be honest, I don't like change. "The Roaring 90's" was my favorite decade for improvement in the park.

The 90's coasters (BTR, B&R:Chiller, Medusa/Bizarro, Skull Mountain, Viper) shot SFGA up the ladder of leading theme/amusement parks. SF wouldn't be this developed without the help of those rides. Hate to see these rides go (B&R:Chiller,Viper). Now that Medusa/Bizarro might be leaving, the park is transforming into a different era. With most of the 90's/pre 90 coasters gone, this new generation of roller coasters can be built. To be honest, I don't like change. "The Roaring 90's" was my favorite decade for improvement in the park.

Not just coasters, GADV also got a sim theater and many great non coaster rides as well during the 90s, sadly which many are now gone.

I would argue the Time Warner installations of the 90s were disastrous. Those coasters cost millions, were largely disliked by the general public, or were maintenance nightmares (i.e. "Chiller"). Save "Skull Mountain" and "Batman The Ride" (and I credit Ray Williams more for this than Time Warner), all the Time Warner Additions proved to be expensive with limited future appeal. Premier Parks marked the transition of Great Adventure into a elite coaster park starting with "Medusa" in 1999.

Premier was good to Great Adventure, at a cost of some operations and customer service. I blame park GMs for the latter, as they limited staffing to make their bottom lines more appealing.

I would argue the Time Warner installations of the 90s were disastrous. Those coasters cost millions, were largely disliked by the general public, or were maintenance nightmares (i.e. "Chiller").

I don't think Chiller was disliked, but it did break down alot more than the Premier LIM coasters at other parks.

I believe he was considering it to be, of those three, a maintenance nightmare...but let's maintain the focus on Medusa/Bizarro.

Ok, now that I reread Thunderbolt's post I see what he means. Sadly Chiller was a maintenance nightmare, as far as I know the other Premier LIM coaster weren't, or at least not nearly as much as Chiller.

I noticed that when parks are setup as large loops (like SFOT) or wagon wheels (such as MK) they really don't suffer from dead spots. But parks layed out like GADV and Hershey, in a zig-zag dog bone set up can suffer with many dead spots, especially with the far ends like Medusa. I think what the park should have done back in 1999 was to have a couple of WOL flats placed near Medusa, along with new restrooms and maybe even a small snack stand. Heck they could have even built a viewing tower for the baboons' section as an additional attraction. But like the rest of WOL, there was some poor planning.

Edited by The Master

Ok, now that I reread Thunderbolt's post I see what he means. Sadly Chiller was a maintenance nightmare, as far as I know the other Premier LIM coaster weren't, or at least not nearly as much as Chiller.

I noticed that when parks are setup as large loops (like SFOT) or wagon wheels (such as MK) they really don't suffer from dead spots. But parks layed out like GADV and Hershey, in a zig-zag dog bone set up can suffer with many dead spots, especially with the far ends like Medusa. I think what the park should have done back in 1999 was to have a couple of WOL flats placed near Medusa, along with new restrooms and maybe even a small snack stand. Heck they could have even built a viewing tower for the baboons' section as an additional attraction. But like the rest of WOL, there was some poor planning.

I couldn't agree more with you! WOL is outdated.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to say a lot right now, and you could choose to believe me, or not.

1. Bizarro IS in the rotation. Whether it's actually chosen to be moved, that we'll know soon enough.
  2. Every park in the chain has a five year plan, and their sticking to it. Whether you choose to forget the outdated Six Flags stereotypes or not is not of my worries.
  3. Contrary to fan-boy belief, Great Adventure will not be getting a new coaster in 2013. Sorry.

I'm going to say a lot right now, and you could choose to believe me, or not.

1. Bizarro IS in the rotation. Whether it's actually chosen to be moved, that we'll know soon enough.
  2. Every park in the chain has a five year plan, and their sticking to it. Whether you choose to forget the outdated Six Flags stereotypes or not is not of my worries.
  3. Contrary to fan-boy belief, Great Adventure will not be getting a new coaster in 2013. Sorry.

Welcome, I'm Brian; and you are...? Introduce yourself!

We've discussed five-year plans before, David - historically, the problem has been that management at the top usually changes 2-3 years into that plan... and then we start over from scratch. Even when management doesn't change, other things can effect a five-year "plan:" unexpected maintenance, the wishes of the shareholders, cooperation of the township, etc. Which is why I've said before, and will no doubt say many more times, unless we hear it via official park press release, we know nothing - and even then, things can change.

Contrary to fan-boy belief, Great Adventure will not be getting a new coaster in 2013. Sorry.

i do think in 13 we will get a new coaster of some type, if one leaves is another story, i could see bizarro being the one to go as it usually has no line and im sure the thrill is gone, but id much rather see skull or tdk go first...