VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Opening Day 2010

bvfcfirefighter

Hi,

I'm trying to make a trip to great adventure on opening day March 27th and I have a couple questions since I've never gone on Opening Day

1) I might be getting a season pass and I saw there is some sort of processing place in the park... How crowded is it on opening day?? When I made my 2009 trip on April 9th, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing it was pretty crowded.

2) Thinking back to Opening Week pretty much of this season and all the problems with Nitro i believe it was, Is this a normal thing for Opening Day/Week or should pretty much all the coasters be open opening day?? I'm not trying to make my first trip of 2010 a disappointment

Thanks in advance for the help

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello!,

For Your Question to number 1, The Processing Center would not be crowded. It would only be about 0-10 mins. the latest. The Employees In There Go Pretty Fast So You Would Not Wait That Long.

For Question Number 2, It Depends.. Nitro only vallied during testing so it wasn't that bad.. If It is a ride like KingDa Ka that needs a lot of maintenance, It might not open on the first day..

All of the Employees try their best to get all of the rides open on opening day.. So I hope this helped you!

~Matt :)

1.Opening day lines at Pass Processing can get pretty long,longest I have seen would be out going towards Twister.Make sure to get there pretty early,like before 12 or so.So if you get to the park at opening you can do boardwalk area first then processing or processing then that side so it's easier and get those rides out of the way.

2.Opening day last year was bad due to the wind,it got up to 45 MPH in some gusts,so really unless it's raining or very windy again,closed rides shouldn't be a problem.Only thing is employees are still new and getting used to having guests in the park opening weekend so lines might move a little slower then they will in May.But we try our best opening day to handle everything well,like last year in April I know I wasn't anywhere near good as I was later on.

But crowd wise April and in this case March are the best times to go because of it not being to crowded.

Honestly, opening day is not the best day to come out to the park if you want a guaranteed good experience.

Season pass processing lines can be HUGE during the day. When people come through the gates, the first thing they usually do is go to pass processing. Later in the day the lines goo down.

There are always kinks opening day with things like registers not working, new employees learning the ropes, unexpected problems, things not quite ready to open, etc. Most of the time the weather is pretty cold as well.

If you want to really go out and have a good experience that will leave you with a good impression and start to the season, wait a week or two. The months of the season are generally not crowded, and operations and weather improve with each week.

Opening day is really just a big deal for the die hard fans, who will run home after an hour or two of riding coasters and get onto park "fan" forums and complain about everything going wrong and how disappointed they are with the park.

The problem I have with waiting a week to make a trip is my spring break is March 27 through April 4th and one of my friend's who I'm going with, his birthday is April 1st and I'm sure he's going to want to spend it at home (we live about 20 minutes from NYC so about 2 hours away from Great Adventure)

This past season's opening week worked out perfect with my spring break because it opened the Saturday (I believe it was April 4th) because my break started April 9th so my 2 friends, my brother (had to drive us) and I made our trip on the 9th.

As of right now Opening Day is probably be the best option for my friends so I don't know when we will make it there but we will be there between March 27 and April 4

Well, if it works out, than go ahead. I've never done it before but I'd arrive extra eartly to pick up a flash pass so you won't have to wait as long for the rides. The Flash Pass line can get long but in the long shot its goint to be O.K. Be sure to bring extra money for parking, its gotten really expensive.

Also, I remember hering the article about Nitro. That gave em quite a spook. In advance, I hope you have a great time!

Glad I already got my 2010 pass last season. One time when I went to the park during the early season and all the rides were closed due to the wind, even the indoor rides. Since this winter has already been colder and harsher than normal, I am afraid this spring may be unusually cold with a later, slower, and weaker warmup.

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...
Well, if it works out, than go ahead. I've never done it before but I'd arrive extra eartly to pick up a flash pass so you won't have to wait as long for the rides. The Flash Pass line can get long but in the long shot its goint to be O.K. Be sure to bring extra money for parking, its gotten really expensive.

Also, I remember hering the article about Nitro. That gave em quite a spook. In advance, I hope you have a great time!

I actually think money for a flassh plash can be spent better on opening day IMO. Instead of spending money on a flash pass for lines that will proabbly not be that long, why not buy something that you will always have like a T-Shirt?

I talked to my friends we decided to make the trip on March 30 assuming the weather cooperates and I dont read that rides are closed like what happened in 09 for about the first week should that be a better day then opening day?

That SHOULD be a better bet. It gives the staff a few days to work the bugs out, and probably it won't be very crowded.

What Tom said.It usually takes us 2 or 3 shifts to start getting a good feel for the job and be much more efficient with moving the lines and such,not there would be big lines on March 30th anyway.Honestly the Flash Pass isn't really needed untill end of May for Memorial Day and that's when it get's progressively more crowded.

March 30th will probably work out better for my friends and I because one of my friend's birthday is on April 1st and I don't want to go on March 31st and make my friend tired on his birthday because of all the fun we have at Six Flags and going the day after his birthday might not be the best idea because he will probably have plans that will have him out all night and my friends and I want to go to the New York Car Show (We live about 30 minutes away from NYC) and it starts April 2nd and our spring break ends April 4th and trying to squeeze Six Flags and the Car Show in one weekend would probably be too much so we decided to make the trip on March 30 assuming the weather cooperates and doesn't affect whether any rides are open

well its one of the easiest op panels in the park, and as long as theres 2 trains time flys, and everyone who works on it has worked there several years in a row and get along good, the worst part is going up to the blocks for start up, those stairs are killer!, other than that, there very little down time as GASM is probably the most reliable coaster in the park, and it can run in the rain so you might get wet if you the rear loader, i swear they need to build a wall of glass right there to help protect from the rain and wind

Those stairs are hell!,

gallery_154_472_21544.jpg

easy op panel

gallery_154_472_8807.jpg

looking from op panel to load panel

gallery_154_472_37103.jpg

Edited by gafreak

ya thie enable buttons here are 2 but there big mushroom ones you can push with your palm, and i did the blocks 4 times one day that was the best workout ever! hopefully we both get to head over there, one other downside is the long walk at the end of the night but its cool to see the park desolate without all the chaos!

ya thie enable buttons here are 2 but there big mushroom ones you can push with your palm, and i did the blocks 4 times one day that was the best workout ever! hopefully we both get to head over there, one other downside is the long walk at the end of the night but its cool to see the park desolate without all the chaos!

wow 4 times?That is a great workout,I'm guessing once for startup and then it broke down 3 times?I don't mind that walk at the end of the night,I like seeing the park at night it's cool seeing everything closing and not so hecktic like it is during the day.If you go some back ways it's not that far of a walk,although after a hot long crowded summer shift,the walk may feel like miles.

If I do get to be there,I will have so much fun making fun of the Hair Got2B stuff.

Hopefully those ads will be gone this season, I hated the ads on the actual train.