VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Sarajevo Bobsled

29yrswithaGApass

20 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

As much as I love the Bobsled, it was problematic (and Knoebel's is as well). Between low capacity and the fact the track has to be bone dry to run it's not a particularly practical ride. Cedar Point solved one issue by enclosing it, but it still lacked capacity which is why they removed theirs. 

The point being, the one they have must operate better, as you don't see the complaints about it not being open.

They just needed to modify so that the moisture issue isn't an issue - after all, people ride down wet water slides all the time in various things (such as rafts), no reason a car on a ride like this can't do the same if made correctly.

Capacity isn't as much an issue with the current park, as they are smaller/less attended than someplace like Great Adventure is/was.

17 hours ago, jollyroger said:

Eh, Flying Turns may not have as much of a moisture problem, but it doesn't always open. The Mack bobsled seems to be the most reliable, example being Kings Dominion's Avalanche. 

Could be as well.  I was more pointing out that all the stories about this one closing, the majority of replies would be "it was open?" or similar - that meaning that most people reading it thought it was never open.

That doesn't seem to be found in any postings about Knoebel's, so they must at least have it run frequently enough that visitors don't notice when it isn't :)

I talked to my co-worker who is a coaster nerd and asked him about the Flying Turns since I don't know much about it. He said they reduced the train length to 3 cars long because it has never run as expected. Apparently to ride they have to weigh each rider then assign which car they can ride based on their weight. Because of this the ride seems to rarely open. 

The only modern bobsled ride in the US I've heard of is Kings Dominion's Mack Bobsled, now known as Reptillian. It seems to have fixed capacity with a full train, and the wet track situation (and noise issue) with a track made of metal tubes bound together (sort of woven). It's run for 35 years now, but despite being a favorite "family" coaster no others have been built in the US with only 6 built world wide. The Intamin version only had 5 built. 

Alpine Bobsled had its last runs ever at Six Flags Great Escape this past Monday. Like always Bobsled was Bobsled but the parks staff was determined to get it up for those who wanted one more ride.

They did get it running and once it was up they kept it running straight through park closing until the line cleared. The final run was well after park closing. Once the line cleared TGE's Park President shut Bobsled down for the last time and then the park invited a few of us to walk the lift hill for some sunset views one last time.

As a send off it gave some great rides its final day. Here's a few pics of Sarajevo / Alpine Bobsled its final operating day at TGE!

AlpineBobsled01.jpg

AlpineBobsled02.jpg

AlpineBobsled03.jpg

AlpineBobsled04.jpg

AlpineBobsled05.jpg

AlpineBobsled06.jpg

AlpineBobsled07.jpg

AlpineBobsled08.jpg

AlpineBobsled09.jpg

AlpineBobsled10.jpg

AlpineBobsled11.jpg

AlpineBobsled12.jpg

Edited by Sluggo77
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Jamaica bobsled car is being auctioned for charity (Give Kids The World):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225787896477?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Qpi2xxagTGu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ggSscQ_4TWy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It's not one of the originals from Great Adventure, but a great souvenir nonetheless! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2023 at 2:48 PM, GAcoaster said:

As much as I love the Bobsled, it was problematic (and Knoebel's is as well). Between low capacity and the fact the track has to be bone dry to run it's not a particularly practical ride. Cedar Point solved one issue by enclosing it, but it still lacked capacity which is why they removed theirs. 

Capacity is why they removed Disaster Transport? In my experience it always had one of the fastest moving lines and little downtime.