VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Standup coasters... have you ever ridden one?

Mr. Hot Dog

Stand-up coasters - have you ever ridden one?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever ridden a stand-up coaster?

• Yes -- my first was Shockwave at Great Adventure
    • Yes -- my first was a stand-up coaster at another park
    • No -- Green Lantern will be my first!
    • No -- But I will ride another stand-up coaster before Green Lantern opens
    • No -- I am planning to wimp out. I will NEVER ride one!!!

I remember when Shockwave came out, very few people had really ridden a stand-up coaster let alone seen one. Times have changed a lot since then, and the concept of stand-up rides isn't nearly as uncommon as it once was. Now that the Green Lantern is being built, I've been wondering... who has been on a stand-up coaster?

(For the record, I regrettably wimped out when Shockwave was at GA... so my first was Shockwave at King's Dominion.)

Edited by Mr. Hot Dog

My first stand-up was the ShockWave at Kings Dominion in 1988.

Other ones I have been on are Shockwave at GA, Iron Wolf at Six Flags Great America, Chang when it was at SFKK, Mantis at Cedar Point, Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mt, Georgia Scorcher at SFOG, and King Kobra at Kings Island.

I liked Chang the best out of all of them!

Shockwave at Great Adventure was my first, and I remember lots of downtime with maintenance personnel walking the track while wating on line. But in the end, all was cleared and I got my one and only ride on a stand-up.

The TOGO stand up at King's Dominion was my first stand up coaster. My second was Shockwave when it was at SFAW before it closed. I was too young to ride Shockwave when it was at GADV.

Edited by The Master

In this order, I've ridden Shockwave at King's Dominion, Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mountain, and Mantis at Cedar Point. I liked Riddler's Revenge best, but it felt like it rattled your feet a lot. Mantis kind of made my legs ache, like the blood was pooling in my legs from the G's. It'll be nice to finally get to ride a stand-up at GA since I blew it the first time around wimping out on Shockwave!

I've ridden 3 Stand Up coasters. My first one was Le Cobra (Intamin Stand up IE: Shockwave) at La Ronde. I rode it when I was 12, and have ridden it almost every years since then. Then when I was 18 I finally got to Cedar Point and rode Mantis. And finally two weeks ago (at age 20), I got to Six Flags Over Georgia and rode the Georgia Scorcher! I'm not really a fan of standup coasters, they tend to hurt my knees and legs. Also it's not the most comfortable experience if you're a guy ;). Mantis was insanely rough when I rode it, and I didn't re-ride. Le Cobra I liked when I was younger, but I'm not a huge fan of it anymore because it hasn't aged well. Georgia Scorcher was actually really good. It wasn't too short, but not too long either, so it was the perfect length for a standup. Also, it's smooth, and doesn't do crazy inversions and maneuvers that are not the most comfortable in a standing position.

I have never ridden a standup coaster before. I was too young to ride Shockwave at Great Adventure and I wasn't riding major coasters last time I was at Kings Dominion in 2003

Edited by Yoshi

I've ridden Riddler's Revenge at Magic Mtn and Mantis at Cedar Point. Both were Average...I'd ride them again, but would never wait in any sort of line to do it. My male friends who also rode them, aren't fans due to the pain factor!

My first one was Le Cobra (Intamin Stand up IE: Shockwave) at La Ronde.

I'm actually a little jealous about that! I have wanted to take a little trip up to La Ronde -- I'd like to ride Le Cobra for the sole reason that I never rode Shockwave at GA and it's essentially the same ride. There would be a little bit of satisfaction in being able to finally check that one off my list, but it's not THAT high of a priority for me to go out of my way.

With both Mantis and Riddler's it felt like there were just too many gimmicks (whether inversions, changes in direction/elevation, etc.). That's why I loved GA Scorcher is because it does just enough to be fun but not too much. I like that the layout of GL has long transitional sections between elements so it's not so abrupt.

• 4 months later...

My first stand up was Mantis at CEDAR POINT. I did not like it because how rough it was. Then my second was shockwave at king's dominion and i actually liked it! The only problem is the time it takes to adjust every seat and explain to people that the "bicycle seat" is not a seat