VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What was the first Roller Coaster you remember riding at Great Adventure?

What was the first Roller Coaster you remember riding at Great Adventure?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first Roller Coaster you remember riding at Great Adventure?

• Runaway Mine Train
    • Lightnin' Loops
    • Rolling Thunder
    • Great American Scream Machine
    • Shockwave
    • Batman: The Ride
    • Viper
    • Skull Mountain
    • Medusa
    • Nitro
    • Superman: Ultimate Flight
    • Kingda Ka
    • El Toro
    • Other (Please let us know below)

We all love Great Adventure with a passion. Why else would we be here right? Since we all began visiting the park during different time periods, I thought it would be interesting to see which Roller Coaster, past and present, we can remember being the first one we rode at the park. I tried to list any Coasters that would have been the big ones at their peak, without creating a mile long poll.

My first Roller Coaster at the park was the Great American Scream Machine. I had visited the park in its opening year but did not build up the courage to go on it until 1992. Ever since I have been a Roller Coaster lover.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the Runaway Mine Train seems to be some common stomping group for many people here. Believe it or not I actually was too afraid of it (the water and just a roller coaster in general) that I could not even go on that my first time at the park. It actually took my first ride on the GASM for me to realize nothing could be worse than that and open up my coaster experiences.

I also want to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

• 1 month later...

Runaway Train was the first...but Batman:The Ride was my first BIG roller coaster ride (Scream machine didnt come until much later and as we were going up for the firrst drop my dad gave me a heart attack telling me that the ride didnt make such loud noises the last time he was on it) :discipline: I couldve beaten him...HAHA

I love doing that. Things like, "Hey wasn't that bolt a little tighter last time we rode" or "wow something just fell off the track." What can I say I get some enjoyment out of the momentary worried looks you can cause especially when you are already strapped in the ride and being lifted for the first drop lol.

Back in the mid 90's I went to Disneyland Paris and the ride ops at the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril roller coaster were also messing with riders heads. Whenever there was a carload of ladies, the ops would start screaming like there was something wrong as soon as the trrain started rolling out of the station. Of course they wouldn't stop it and the passengers were in panic mode as they headed for the lift wondering what they were all yelling and pointing at.

As a former ride-op, I believe this was referred to as horseplay and I am not condoning it here. (Although it was pretty funny to watch! :) )

I love doing that. Things like, "Hey wasn't that bolt a little tighter last time we rode" or "wow something just fell off the track." What can I say I get some enjoyment out of the momentary worried looks you can cause especially when you are already strapped in the ride and being lifted for the first drop lol.

you would! =P pain in the butt...

Dude I do that all the time. Classic.

My first roller coaster I remember riding at GA was Rolling Thunder in 1995. And I was terrified, not of the coaster. But because the lift stopped and we were up there for 20 minutes (First of many break downs in my life), and it scared me. The ride itself, I loved. I even put my hands up half way through (brave kid). After that we rode Runaway Train.

-Dainan "Part of the reason why Rolling Thunder is my favorite" Rafferty

The first coaster remember riding also is Rolling Thunder. I remember riding with my sister and holding on for dear life on the first drop. I thought the drop was so steap and recall telling people is wrapped under itself like a 97 degree drop or something. Hahaha The things you think when you're little. The drops only 45 degrees and I thought it was beyond vertical. haha

Pete

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love Great Adventure,it's my favorite amusement park(I've even been to Cedar Point).I went in 94 and was going to ride Lightnin' Loops first but was gone.My cousin and I rode some flat rides and FF than went over to Scream Machine. She was to small so mom took her on Rolling Thunder and I rode Scream Machine. One of my two favorite coasters. :rainbowflash: