VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Log Flume discovery

I'll say it again, you learn something new every day!

Take a look at the following photos of the Log Flume from the 1970's. At closer examination, check out the incredible dip in the track that was featured after the ride's third drop. The logs (and water!) use to travel uphill, and not on one of the ride's two conveyer lifts!

This was removed, with the track flattened into a straight run-out by 1980. I would imagine it was hard to maintain and an issue spot with the operations of the Log Flume.

Still, really cool nonetheless!

gallery_2_43_330976.jpg

gallery_2_43_116602.jpg

gallery_2_43_149498.jpg

gallery_2_43_656052.jpg

Wow!!!! The "basin" is huge too, How didn't anyone notice it all these years? I guess it had to have Pumps to shoot the water up the little hill, or it was pumped up when it leveled out again. Great discovery, right under our Nose's. You will have to re-do the Spotlight, and try to find out more about this "lost" feature.

Is this where the small drop after the 1st drop is? It's barely a drop, more like an indent.

It was the third drop of the ride (the first being the small drop after the first lift). The third drop now looks like this:

gallery_2_43_768457.jpg

And a wide angle shot of the ride's back track: (click to enlarge)

gallery_2_43_606085.jpg

That is a good find, it explains that big basin under that drop. I first noticed that basin a few years back when an old FF Terror Trail went right by it. I would say the inertia of the falling logs was enough for them to go up over that hill. It could have been rough or just cheaper to remove it.

Edited by The Master

I have always thought of Great Adventure's Log Flume as one of the best flume rides anywhere. The Log Flume with that dip must have been extraordinary!

Oddly, I rode it several times in the 70's - usually once per visit because of the huge line, but I don't recall the dip.

I am guessing Kennywood's flume still has the dip? Wonder why GAdv took their dip out for? You can see the left side bank of were the dip was is really overgrown now.

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That would be big, but perhaps not big enough. I would like to see that with a little TLC to the rest of the ride, too. I like getting bumped around a few times on the ride, but its so bumpy! Anyway, that seems like it would've been fun to ride, just a little dangerous.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...