VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fortune Festival/Goodtime Alley Games Areas

Absolutely amazing spotlight here. I really don't have much memory of the Boardwalk before it became the boardwalk, so it is really nice to see this look back at it.

While I am no longer big into the carnival style games, I still do take some time to play a few during the summer, mainly towards the end of the season when I have gotten to do almost everything I wanted to ride and show wise, and have some extra time to enjoy the park. I do like to walk through the section, however, as it gives me that Jersey Shore feel to a certain degree.

The amount of pictures that you guys have in this spotlight is amazing, and really helps to show the transitions and differences between the area's periods in great detail. It is amazing how much work went into a section of the park, that for the most part today seems like somewhat of simply some place they must walk though to get to Superman, The Golden Kingdom, or some of the other attractions at it's ends.

Definately an outstanding spotlight once again by you guys. I can only imagine how much time and effort you had to put into this. Thanks :)

Very nice spotlight on the Boardwalk area, I did not know there was a early building that burned downed. After Custard's Last Stand was closed it was changed to "Ragin Cajun" for one year before it was changed again to Nathan's. "Ragin Cajun" did not serve real cajun food, it was really chinese food and it still had covered outdoor seating. Anybody notice how the current Boardwalk signs are styled a little bit after Disney's Paradise Pier at California Adventure?

Edited by The Master

The Boardwalk is always one of those areas that I love to visit, especially at night. Even though I may not spend money on games, I still like the atmosphere it gives off. When it was remodeled, I at first didn't like the new paintjob, but I have grown to love it. I do miss the Virtual Reality games that they had, especially the one with the lightsaber, but the Boardwalk is meant for games. The original building really looked nice, but it's better now that the end is open, otherwise they may have never expanded that way!

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Well you gotta remember..the plans for it were drawn from the concept art for the aracde that was to be on Dream Street..Near the foutain.it was a threesided afair with a scolloped roof. There were trees, flower beds, Mustards Last Stand on the left with tables (under trees) and on the right a stand which sold cotton candy, candy apples and such. The area behind the four tents was still thick with tress and all..with only three access points on the right and on left..and a small side walk thur two of the tents..thus allowing you access to the shops thru the side doors. Now youve got to keep in mind these plans were all drawn by Warner Le Roy...So while they were all games of skill.there were no barkers..and the rainbow top matched the bream street host and hostess out fits..

:hot_air_balloon:

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Below is a truly rare photo! Taken in January 1982, the picture shows the games area missing. Fortune Festival had just been destroyed by fire in December 1981 and the construction of Goodtime Alley (today's Boardwalk) hadn't started yet. The only portions of the original Fortune Festival that weren't destroyed were the two foodstands- the Potato Factory on the left and Mustard's Last Stand on the right. Both of those stands would have major renovations in the years to come becoming today's Garden State Grill and Nathans.

gallery_2_998_1112237.jpg