VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Garden of Marvels

Nice spot light, I never knew GADV once has G scale trains, I knew of the miniature garden but not about any model trains in it. LGB is one of the most expensive brands of trains, they are like the Cadillacs of G scale. Back then G scale was almost dead, but LGB was bringing it back into popularity. It's now a pretty popular scale again, though one of the more pricey scales. You can see in that old catalog they only offered European, narrow gauge trains at the time. They now offer both European and American trains in narrow and standard gauges, classic and modern.

Edited by The Master

Although I didn't start collecting LGB trains until 1986, I think it was the Garden of Marvels that subconsciously pushed me to G-scale. When I went to Great Adventure in the '70s I always loved watching those trains thread their ways around the miniature buildings.

To date, this has probably been the Spotlight that has required the most research on an attraction. While we had all the photos of the Garden of Marvels, there were no diagrams or layouts that showed where everything was located. It was only after compiling clues from each and every photo that the placement of each structure and the layout of the train tracks could be determined. This Spotlight has been at some level of being in-development since we started this site five years ago!

i like G scale trains, only issue with them is the amount of space needed for a layout, so until i can use an entire basement ill stick with HO, but very cool spotlight, after some research on the net, it looks like all the models went up[ for sale for 395,000$, not much info on if they were actulally sold

Edited by gafreak

I run my stuff outside, I have a few LGB items but mostly Bachman and Aristo-Craft.

The Morris Arboretum at the University of Penn has a really nice garden railway. A few years ago they had to replace their brass track with stainless steel because the brass rails kept wearing out due to heavy display use. I wonder if the Garden of Marvel's railway suffered wear problems?

Here's a link to Morris Arboretum's site for their railway. http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/arboretum/gardens_railway.shtml

Edited by The Master

Wow! The "Garden of Marvels" was truly a beautiful section. Unfortunately, I wasn't alive to see it in its heyday. My memories of the former garden area are almost non-existent. My dad spoke often of the area and its beauty. All I remember was it being "walled off", as the area laid dormant in the mid to late 1980s. It's a shame Great Adventure couldn't have preserved the section. The "Garden of Marvels" would have been a unique, quiet exhibit in a park that is largely devoid of a show experience.

Edited by Thunderbolt

It was a fantastic attraction...Blending with Yum Yum Palace...The Antique Carosel, And then the Garden of Marvels..Again showing Mr. Le Roys eye for scale. If you were in the garden looking towards the Hot air balloon..Your eyes traveled the vista to castle on the mountain range to the balloon..making it look even bigger and larger. Or at the rear looking towards the carosel...towering over the area and beyond the Yum Yum Palace and the Sky Ride..Spectical at its best..Now picture Coco and Coco Jr on stilts ,Ann and Andy alive and talking, Keystone Cops chasing..You get the idea. Many think Im a nuts when I talk about the past of the park. And I understand the need for change...But change for the sake of it well not such a fan.

It was a fantastic attraction...Blending with Yum Yum Palace...The Antique Carousel, And then the Garden of Marvels..Again showing Mr. Le Roys eye for scale. If you were in the garden looking towards the Hot air balloon..Your eyes traveled the vista to castle on the mountain range to the balloon..making it look even bigger and larger.

One of my favorite pictures of the park EVER (I know I've seen the color version but I can't seem to locate it):

Balloon%20from%20Mini%20Marvels%20copy.jpg

This one is pretty cool too...

74SBPage16-3%20copy.jpg

from what i read about thne garden of marvels, the structures were only on loan to great adventure, it was more a way to show them off for the builders, several of the buildings took several years to build according to the wife,if i can relocate the article ill post it here

here it is

Wife Tends Miniature Kingdom (article about the buldings' last known location)

Arthur A.M. Thuijs (memorial site set up by the artist's first wife & their children)

• 4 weeks later...

I am reposting the conversation below from our member Marie-Louise Thuijs' profile page to here so that more people will see the discussion. We are thrilled to have Ms. Thuijs join us. She is the daughter of the creator of the Garden of Marvels and resides in the Netherlands.

Marie-Louise Thuijs 26 May 2012 - 10:57

I want to know more, about his working time, during Great Adventure Parc years in the States. I would be very grateful, For each or any new information about my father. I know for a fact though, that my father the miniature buildings for more Years, wanted rent on the Great Adventure Parc

Marie-Louise Thuijs 26 May 2012 - 10:55

Yes, Merci. I want to do this for you. My website of our earlier Miniature Cities is already on line . But first, my desire, and question. Did You know, or someone, who has worked, in the years of Great Adventure with my father in 1974 till 1978? I would like to come into contact with these people. I want more about fathers time in America, is it possible?

29yrswithaGApass 25 May 2012 - 11:28

Your Dad did an incredible job designing those model buildings! Wonderful! If there is any information that you can provide on the village or your father we would love to hear it. Just add them to the Garden of Marvels topic for comments and discussions.

Marie-Louise Thuijs 24 May 2012 - 11:36

Thank You Mr.Harry, for the welcome on the GreatAdventureHistory.com. My name is Marie-Louse Thuijs. I am a daughter of Mr Arthur Thuijs, the master builder of the model buildings. I'm glad to found this website.

29yrswithaGApass 19 May 2012 - 13:44

Welcome to GreatAdventureHistory.com! We are happy you joined us here as a member! ...Harry

Although we don't have much documented information about Mr. Thuijs time working at Great Adventure, we do have several photos of him working at the park (which we haven't published yet) if you would like to see those.

In addition we have acquired almost 100 additional photos of the buildings and the Garden or Marvels area which we will be adding to our Spotlight very soon.

Fellow members (especially our Great Adventure veterans) - does anyone have any information or stories about the Garden of Marvels or Mr. Thuijs?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...