VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv. Debate #6: Glow in the Park Parade - Gone too soon?

26 members have voted

1. 1. Was removing the Glow in the Park Parade a wise decision?

• Yes - the parade served its purpose and its time was up.
    • No - the parade was removed to soon.

I feel that it was too soon, i only ever watched it once but it was pretty cool. It was only at the park for 3 seasons and they could of continued it, many guests would stop and watch it, it was good because all the coasters had no lines!tongue.gif

Edited by gasmspiritblue

Removed too soon. For a non Disney parade it was very impressive and unlike Disney it was nice to not have to line up 45+ minutes early to get a good viewing spot.

I remember hearing one of the reasons it was removed was because parks had to stay open later for it to be dark out but Great Adventure is open until 10 p.m. In the summer anyway unlike some smaller SF parks so the park could have kept the parade without having to stay open any later.

IMHO I thought the parade was a waste of resources at the time that could have used for new flats. The parade debuted at a time when rides were being ripped out right and left which made the timing of a new parade bizarre since there were more pressing problems, guess an example of Shapiro's thinking outside the box. After saying that, I thought the parade itself was okay but couldn't really enjoy it knowing the park's ride count was dropping like a brick. However I think it was mainly removed due to cost and corporate politics since new owners and management took over and in a classic move swept away many projects from the previous management's time. So I thought it was cancelled too soon but I don't agree that it ever had a proper time to begin with.

Edited by The Master

IMHO I thought the parade was a waste of resources at the time that could have used for new flats.

...but there were still rides to ride. This parade came at a time when the park's entertainment offerings were also plummeting: Showcase had already been closed off, Temple of the Tiger was already stripped of its initial creativity, and the only other offerings that come to mind were at Fort Independence (shows twice a day if you're lucky) and children's shows at the Wiggles World stage and in Looney Tunes National Park - no thank you.

It's okay to want flats to balance the thrill rides... but some of us have really liked the shows there, too, which further diversify the day's experiences. It's the main reason that, until recent years, BGW has been my favorite park - it had a perfect balance of all.

Anyway - definitely the best entertainment I've seen at GA and, without question, gone too soon.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Really liked the parade, was one of the things that paralleled the Disney experience. If you you have young kids and have been to Disney then I think that you know what I am talking about. I was bummed when it was cut out.

This is one of many examples of sfga mgmt focussing on teens/thrillseekers not an imaginative/family experience.