VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What are the worst moves made by Six Flags

What do You think is one of Six flags worst moves in general?

Here comes the rant :rant:......

Mine is that they all but abandon some of their smaller parks (St. Louis, America, ect.) But continue to add more and more on to their larger parks (Magic mountain)

I just wish they would equal it out instead of giving parks old rides with differnt paint schemes! Really it took 11 years for SFA to get a new coaster! And I thought wating 5 years after Goliath at SFOG for a roller coaster Was long!

-Rant provided By: Coasterharrison'98

Stripping the parks (in particular Great Adventure) of so many rides during the Shapiro years was a wrong move.

I was going to say Red Zone in general because they did so many things I disagreed with but this was probably my biggest problem with them in control. I still can't believe how many rides were closed or removed from the end of 2006 to 2009.

Time Warner owning Six Flags.

That was the best of times and the worst of times. Their vision for the parks was really spot on in a lot of ways, bringing in cohesive theme elements and really adding atmosphere to the parks that were lacking. Of course they were also the ones who made the biggest cuts to full time staffing levels, making the parks much more reliant on seasonal staff which took away an element of stability. Unfortunately, many other theme parks followed that lead (including Disney) which has lowered the quality of the guest experience in parks just to save a buck.

I was going to say Red Zone in general because they did so many things I disagreed with but this was probably my biggest problem with them in control. I still can't believe how many rides were closed or removed from the end of 2006 to 2009.

It's true, but they were also facing bankruptcy with billions of dollars in debt. There are no good choices in that situation, only less bad ones. At the same time having Mark Kane running the park was a good decision and probably kept things from being worse than they were during that time.

In the beginnning when the park was Great Adventure presented by six Flags things were still good. All show venues were running. The looney tunes characters were there along with the orginal clowns and street characters. New rides were being installed. Land scaping was still high on the list. Concerts added to the Arena . And things were good. Usher in the 90s and Warner LeRoy sells his interest in the park to Six Flags and bam! Things change. Concret added all over the place. 100 year old tress removed for a parade. Really? Theme elements removed all around the park. And this is all good. Well according to Six Flags anyway. WE have a bone yard full of rides many were restored only to meet their death a year later. For the life of me I dont understand 2,000 acres of land everything crammed in the same foot print of 1974/1975. Id wissh a high up would explain this to us. And while I like the idea of the Safari Trucks. Why at the cost of Frontier Adventure? Dream STreet is now a nightmare. Strawberry Fair gone we now have Adventure Alley. Fun Fair might as well be Gothem City just as dirty and nasty as the real one would be. I could be wrong. But there is nothing worse then watching something get distroyed. At one time Great Adventure was able to hold its own with the big boys. And had the added kick of all live. Now Our anwser to Disneyland is more our answer to the old Coney Island. Just before the bulldozers. Yes mistakes have been made but things can be corrected. My biggist wish for the park? GEt in a manager and a team that enjoys what they do. Let them run it thier way. And while your at it hire a few of the old timers as consltants. And remember your past to move forward.

This one is easy for me...firing Mark Kane. He was ALWAYS very nice to my best friend & I, always taking the time to stop & talk to us for a few minutes. We were introduced to the new park president by another director & it seemed he could care less about meeting us. Yes I know we're guests like everybody else but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to be cordial.

Stripping the parks (in particular Great Adventure) of so many rides during the Shapiro years was a wrong move.

I agree with this, was a very bad move. Back at that time many of the online GADV fans cheered about all the removals believing they were making room for more new roller coasters. Back then almost everyone only cared about coasters.

I bet a lot of those people happy for those removals regret it now. And after all those rides removed, the only coaster we got was one that wasn't bad but seemed to be a disappointment not only to enthusiasts but to the GP as well. I still have never seen such a bad reaction to a coaster than I did the first year it was open from everyone exiting the ride although I guess it wasn't their fault for expecting more when the park listed it as a high thrill and said that if you liked KK and ET, you will like TDK. If it wasn't for the change in management, who knows when we would have received a new coaster since the 2011 addition was yet another upcharge and even if a new coaster would have been added for 2012 or 2013, it probably wouldn't have been anything major based on the additions to other SF parks from Red Zone.

That's why I like the current management so much more than Red Zone. I miss GASM but Green Lantern was a better replacement for the park since it is so much more popular than GASM was and Adventure Alley shows they realize what the park needed (and hopefully they continue to add flats and family rides with some thrill rides thrown in every so often as well).

Edited by Yoshi