VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

King Cobra Spotlight

I only rode this slide once, while it is fun it isn't worth the very slow moving line. Between the poor capacity and flash pass backing up the stand by line, it took me over an hour of waiting, after park closing to ride it. The slide tower is just too small and HH's operations are too poor combined with the badly executed Flash pass. It is a perfact storm of a awlful and slow moving wait times for this slide.

Edited by The Master

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
18 minutes ago, joeyc98 said:

Is there any sign ours is going? I wasn't able to make it to Hurricane Harbor this year... Was it open?

It’s been closed all season and a good chunk of last season too.  Signage has been removed as well as all the tubes.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

Makes sense. The slide never lived up to its promises and needed modifications. The State of New Jersey makes it nearly impossible (and very expensive) to modify a ride so shipping it off to a place with MUCH loser regulations is probably for the best. Just like Evolution...

I wonder why that is? Most times the modifications are to fix an unsafe part of the ride, like when Chiller's Zero Gs were replaced with S hills to prevent valleying, or when Chiller got lapbar restraints to prevent headbanging. This also casts doubt on the theory that El Diablo will be modified instead of replaced, which would suck as then the park would basically go a year without a new ride.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:46 PM, SkellySkeletor said:

I wonder why that is? Most times the modifications are to fix an unsafe part of the ride, like when Chiller's Zero Gs were replaced with S hills to prevent valleying, or when Chiller got lapbar restraints to prevent headbanging. This also casts doubt on the theory that El Diablo will be modified instead of replaced, which would suck as then the park would basically go a year without a new ride.

It is because NJ is a "Nanny State" that overregulates things to the point that nothing gets done. 

It's because New Jersey requires the manufacturer to authorize any modifications. In the case of Evolution the manufacturer was out of business, and in the case of King Cobra it may be the manufacturer won't or can't make modifications for some reason. This is why any older ride where the manufacturer no longer is in business is in danger of removal from Great Adventure. 

Well yes and no. Way back ...I belive in the early 80s. Someone high in Jersey State goverment. Lost his son on a Muisc Express..the story goes he thought the ride was over stood up and did a few sumersalts backwards. And after that came the crack down on ride safety.

6 hours ago, The Master said:

Then NJ needs to come up with a provision for orphaned rides. NJ is known for not completely thinking out its laws when they are writing them. 

There are ways to deal with them, but it's very expensive because all the modifications need to be certified by engineers at the park's expense. So if it costs the park more to maintain the ride than its book value, it makes more sense to scrap the ride and write it off on taxes. 

Honestly, I really enjoyed this ride as it was pretty unique. While the wait times were horrendous and it really is crappy that it was designed improperly, whenever I had ridden it, I had fun. However, usually I went to this ride and Tornado first before the park got busy and both rides had an hour+ wait.

• 1 month later...