VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #12: New Attraction Premiere Dates

New Attraction Premiere Dates  

31 members have voted

1. 1. When should a park have its new attraction ready?

• It should be ready by the season's opening day.
    • It should be ready by the time the park goes into daily operation.
    • It doesn't matter - whenever it is ready.

My feeling has always been that it should be ready for opening day. Yes, its the "shoulder season" in the spring, but the park still charges full price for admission whether or not the new attractions have opened or not. Now if they want to start offering a "spring" ticket at a reduced price to reflect the new attraction and the park's water rides not being open, then I think it would be OK to have the openings delayed until Memorial Day. It's always struck me as being poor planning that they don't start work on new attractions earlier to make them ready for opening day. It's just like when they don't have everything ready for the first night of Fright Fest. Better planning and starting work earlier saves having to deal with disappointment for guests and angry complaints.

It's one of the few things I think Shapiro was right about in criticizing the Premier management, but then under his leadership they still didn't bring the new capital online with the park's opening day (TDK being a prime example).

I voted for opening day but it depends on the ride. I can understand why the Safari wasn't ready by opening day but I feel that Air Jumbo and Deja Vu should have been ready by opening day last year since they aren't smaller rides. Even Green Lantern I felt should have been ready by opening day. They closed Scream Machine in July the year before to have extra time and the ride still didn't open until right before Memorial Day weekend,. If Scream Machine had closed at the end of the season, then it wouldn't have been so bad if Green Lantern wasn't ready on opening day.

I also don't like the Memorial Day openings because it makes it difficult to ride the new attraction with little or no waiting unless you go to a season pass preview. For Green Lantern I went to the park the Wenesday before Memorail Day weekend and Green Lantern was a 2 hour wait and didn't end up riding the coaster until September when I was able to go on a day when it was a walk on (for the single rider line) since every visit to the park in the summer it had at least an hour or longer wait.

I always use Nitro as the standard for what the park should do. They barely had the footers in place at the end of the 2000 season and it was open for opening day 2001 despite a bitterly cold an snowy winter. Generally there is no real reason why they shouldn't be able to get a ride open for opening day unless they didn't plan enough time for the construction or started late for some reason. Looking at the Golden Kingdom, they could have opened with opening day (even if Ka wasn't finished) had they started when they originally planned rather than caving in and keeping Bugs Bunny Land open through the end of the season in 2004. Those two months would have made all the difference. And I'm sure many of the same people who complained that BBL was closing early for the season were also right there at Guest Relations in 2005 to complain that the Golden Kingdom wasn't open yet.

My thought is that closing something early for construction causes much less of an impact than not having something new ready for opening day. When you close an attraction early for removal, it naturally begins to create excitement for the new attraction just as season passes go on sale. On top of that, the added attractions of Fright Fest in the fall help fill the gaps caused by closing an attraction early for new construction.

• 4 weeks later...

Opening Day. To me it's better to work out any kinks a new attraction will have before things go fulltime. When the park is open weekends only you can test it under realtime conditions but still have the luxury of fine tuning and tweaking things much easier during the week without the crowds. Once the park hits fulltime I'd expect attractions not just to be open but running well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

The park should always try to get the rides ready by opening day, especially the smaller ones. Looping Dragon should be small enough to open on opening day, but SF probably will wait till Memorial Day. Remember Zumanjaro, they had a delay that put Kingda Ka out of commission as well. They should have at least been able to finish up all the heavy lifting by opening day, especially with it being later in the spring and get KK running. I don't see how it couldn't open on opening day, much less Memorial Day.