VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fly Me to the Moon - new simulator film for 2008

29yrswithaGApass

Move over SpongeBob, Fly Me to the Moon has been added to the list of rides on the Six Flags Great Adventure web page.

Stow away with three young flies aboard the Apollo 11 to experience man’s first landing on the moon. Under 36” and infants must use a non-moving seat. Guests over 42” may ride alone.

soupcan.jpg

Click HERE to see the webpage for the movie Fly Me to the Moon.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to The Internet Movie Database the actual theatrical release of the movie Fly Me to the Moon will not occur in the U.S. until August 22, 2008. It just premiered in Belgium on January 30th. It seems we will be getting a sneak preview for several months with the ride version of the film.

Wow so for at least this season it really is a special new film that we are going to be able to get on. That's pretty neat to be honest. I am glad to see they updated the ride officially and this new one looks to be like it will be a fun little thing. I'll certainly be sure to be going onto it when I hit the park to take a look. :)

Six Flags announces:

Six Flags Flies Audiences to the MoonTuesday February 26, 9:00 am ET

nWave's New Immersive 3D Ride film, Fly Me To The Moon, Coming to Park Theaters

NEW YORK, Feb. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags, Inc. (NYSE: SIX - News) announced today a partnership with nWave Pictures that will bring the excitement of Apollo 11 and the first walk on the moon to millions of park guests this season.

FLY ME TO THE MOON - 3D, a ride simulation based on the animated feature film releasing this summer, features the voices of Kelly Ripa, Christopher Lloyd and Nicolette Sheridan and will be the featured attraction at 3D theaters at Six Flags Great Adventure, in Jackson, NJ and Six Flags Over Texas, in Arlington, TX.

The fact based fictional film follows three teenaged flies on an incredible adventure as they become part of history - stowing away inside the space helmets of Commanders Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins on the Apollo 11 mission that marked America's first manned landing on the moon.

FLY ME TO THE MOON is the first-ever computer animated feature film designed, created and produced from the first frame, exclusively for the 3D experience. "This innovative film is a great example of the kind of unique, first-run entertainment that our guests have come to expect at the new Six Flags," said Dan Weinberg, Six Flags Vice-President of Entertainment. "The collaboration with nWave allows us to continue the expansion and diversification of our in-park product."

NWave Founder and Director Ben Stassen:

"We applaud Six Flags for thinking outside the box and really seizing the opportunity to expose park visitors to this film. As a company that specializes in 3D production and distribution, we're excited about the new alliance with Six Flags. Their family of parks offer nWave the perfect platform to showcase the recreation of the Apollo 11 flight through the ride film experience that will entertain both adults and children."

FLY ME TO THE MOON - 3D debuts Opening Day at each park - March 1 at Six Flags Over Texas and April 5 at Six Flags Great Adventure.

About Six Flags, Inc:

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company with 21 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Founded in 1961, Six Flags has provided world class entertainment for millions of families with cutting edge, record-shattering roller coasters and appointment programming with events like the popular Thursday and Sunday Night Concert Series. Now 47 years strong, Six Flags is recognized as the preeminent thrill innovator while reaching to all demographics - families, teens, tweens and thrill seekers alike - with themed attractions based on the Looney Tunes characters, the Justice League of America, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, The Wiggles and Thomas the Tank Engine. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: SIX - News) headquartered in New York City.

About nWave

nWave Pictures is a multinational company specializing in 3D digital production and dedicated to special venue production and distribution. nWave Pictures is known for utilizing innovative technologies to maximize intellectual properties throughout multiple media platforms including 2D and 3D Giant Screen (Imax), Motion Simulation and Attraction Films in all film formats and electronic media. As the most prolific producers of 3D films in the world, nWave's titles have generated over $200 million in box office revenues in Imax theaters worldwide. This year marks the debut of nWave's first animated feature FLY ME TO THE MOON.

We should consider ourselves lucky with Fly Me to the Moon- Six Flags Great America's simulator "Space Shuttle America" is rumored to be closed for 2008. SSA was added the same year as GA's The Right Stuff. Six Flags had planned to add simulators to all its parks and it tested two different models in 1994 to see which one was better. Great Adventure received its iWerks simulator and Great America received an Intamin model. iWerks prevailed and The Right Stuff was added to Sx Flags Over Texas the following year.

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

Is it going to be closed just for the season or would it be for good? I think if they were to close the simulator to do some extensive retheming and upgrades to the theatre as a whole I would be ok with it. But if they were simply changing over then I'm glad they did it in the offseason. I just hope the Yellow spotted crates are not still inside. Otherwise the theming will just be all sorts of wrong at this point lol

• 2 months later...

We rode Fly Me to the Moon tonight and it looks like some changes have been made to the show.

- In the preshow area the safety video is now continually played while guests are being assigned to the loading areas. The Fly Me to the Moon preshow segment is played once everyone is in their bullpens and the lights are dimmed. (The order of the two films has been switched). As the film pans to the rocket on the launch pad, the main theater doors open.

- The feature movie is still the same but at the very end just after the astronauts and flies salute the American flag on the moon, text now appears referencing space travel information and the number of lunar landings. The screen fades to black.

The transition from preshow to feature is still a little rough but the text caps off the end of the movie better than before.

We decided to skip past the simulator tonight to make some more time for coasters, but it does sound like they have been trying to get the kinks worked out with the show. I will agree that the text probably does make the ending of the film better than the abrupt ending we got opening day. We'll surely be back on this sometime in the near future so it should be interesting to see how it seems.

Still I think Fly Me to the Moon is probably the weakest movie they have had. Before when they had the movie just stop was pretty lame, sounds like the little extra should improve it some. Is it me or does the trailer during the preshow show scenes that ar not in the ride film?

Edited by The Master

Is it me or does the trailer during the preshow show scenes that ar not in the ride film?

The preshow contains scenes that lead up to the ride film. The preshow introduces the characters and ends with a shot of the rocket on the launch pad. The film in the main theater picks up the story with the lunch of the rocket itself. So in answer to your question, the preshow footage is not in the ride film.

Well they show a brief trailer before the preshow itself and in the trailer they show a scene where the flies are floating around with the fat fly trying to get food out of a tube of zero G food. That scene is not in the ride film or preshow, just in the trailer but a lot of times trailers can have scenes that don't end up in the final film cut.

Edited by The Master

Oh yes, I can't even count the number of times I've had that happen in some major motion pictures only to be dissapointed in the end because a scene in the preview was one I was looking forward to seeing in the film. I'm surprised they have a trailer and a pre-show for the simulator as a pre-show itself should in theory be enough.

• 3 months later...

Only about 10 more days!

Click for trailer.

flymetothemoon_galleryposter.jpg

I will take one for the team and go and see this in the movies. You guys will be sorry you missed it... but I'll tell you ALLL about it. If there are any slow parts I'll shake and jostle the chair of the person in front of me and just say over and over "this is what it's like at Great Adventure... go try it"! :P