Movietown

29yrswithaGApass

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

If you have about 45 minutes someday access the music listing from Warner Brothers 75 Years Entertaining The World on Amazon (click here). You can just let it play in the background on your pc while you do something else. It will cycle through 30 seconds from each of the tunes in the box set. The music is mixed - it goes from very early films to classics to contemporary movies and back again over and over.

It is easy to imagine the songs playing in an updated and enhanced MovieTown at Great Adventure. There is so much that can be done with that area of the park to bring life back to it.

41P0FPZ7PKL._SS500_.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Did anyone notice that they recently updated the area music for Movie Town? The last few time I was in there it had fewer movie themes/scores. Instead there were songs like those from Grease and Back to the Future.

I noticed that. They play less score and more actual songs from movies. I don't like it. I was pleased when I heard "Escape, Chase, Saying Good-bye" from E.T. by John Williams - that's one of the best pieces he's written. But I heard music from Rent, the new Fame, and "Danger Zone" from Top Gun.

hey heres an idea! How about we completely CLOSE Movietown and replace it with nothing wioth the only remanants Batman and Dark Knight.

Heres the catch.....

Across the lake, build a SECOND, small park, an abbreviated version of WB Movie World in australia! The rides would be-

1.Water Tower-Drop Tower

2.Batman Adventure-Motion Simulator

3.Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster

4.Lethal Weapon the rdie

5.Wild West Falls

6.Looney Tunes River Ride

7.Hollywood stunt Driver

8.Shrek 4-D

9.The Warner Brothers Story, You must remeber this

10.a Wizard of Oz themed dark ride

11.LA Car chase-Motocoaster

12.Harry Potter ride, like the one at IOA but build on a much cheaper scale

13.Buy Nights of White Satin from HRP and theme it to INCEPTION-The Ride

Edited by warnerleroy

I noticed that. They play less score and more actual songs from movies. I don't like it. I was pleased when I heard "Escape, Chase, Saying Good-bye" from E.T. by John Williams - that's one of the best pieces he's written. But I heard music from Rent, the new Fame, and "Danger Zone" from Top Gun.

It's all their effort to make the park atmosphere loud and "exciting". Themes and scores are not loud and obnoxiuos enough. They're really making the whole park a loud, obnoxiuos mess.

^So true. There are some parts of the park, particularly around the Boardwalk where you can't hear yourself think because there are three or four things playing at once.

Music played such an important roll when Time Warner took over and created sections in 1993. You were transported from section to section with the music. I'll always remember standing in the unfinished Movieltown on the '93 season opener listening to the scores pouring out of a rock-shaped speaker. My first thought was how Disney-like the area was becoming.

The music played at theme parks is called BGM ( background music ). The idea is to enhance the atmosphere with subtle, quiet music you don't really notice. The sound comes out of hidden speakers, such as rock-shaped speakers or ground-level green speakers hidden in the landscaping. While walking through an area the music makes you feel that you are actually in that area.

Walking through Great Adventure is like walking through a rock concert. The music overpowers everything. They attached ugly black speakers to anything that didn't move and then stuck poles in the ground and attached speakers to those.

Not only is the music way too loud, it's not even appropriate. A Bicentennial-themed entrance plaza should not be playing loud pop music and Frontier Adventures should not be playing loud contemporary country music. Not to mention the rediculous DJ commentary.

The Boardwalk is actually the only place loud pop music actually fits. That's what boardwalks have. It just doesn't have to be so unbearably loud.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If they were to revamp Movie town they should atleast do the Batman portion like this dropped Batman Theme park design (On a smaller scale)

2702263899_cd7bf792f0_o.jpg

That would be awesome!

Also, anyone remember the display that had at one of the gift shops (I think by Batman The Ride?) It was the back half of the batmobile that light up and had shelves (I think they had shirts)? Anyone have a photo of that?

Thank you!

Edited by eledoremassis02

That is a great rendering! Sadly, I don't think it would ever happen at G.A.... we are still waiting for the skyline on The Dark Knight Coaster!

I vaguely recall (or can imagine) the Batmobile merchandise display that you mentioned. I know that the park had a car in what is today the Main Street Market.

gallery_2_579_766133.jpg

If they were to revamp Movie town they should atleast do the Batman portion like this dropped Batman Theme park design (On a smaller scale)

2702263899_cd7bf792f0_o.jpg

That would be awesome!

Also, anyone remember the display that had at one of the gift shops (I think by Batman The Ride?) It was the back half of the batmobile that light up and had shelves (I think they had shirts)? Anyone have a photo of that?

Thank you!

That wouldn't really be Movie Town, it would be Gotham City. I don't think it would be a good idea to theme an entire section of the park in such a limited way. Not everyone in the world is a Batman fan. This is something Six Flags does not seem to understand. They theme everything to superheroes and extremely limit their customer base. They have to make their parks more well-rounded and not so superhero-heavy.

That wouldn't really be Movie Town, it would be Gotham City. I don't think it would be a good idea to theme an entire section of the park in such a limited way. Not everyone in the world is a Batman fan. This is something Six Flags does not seem to understand. They theme everything to superheroes and extremely limit their customer base. They have to make their parks more well-rounded and not so superhero-heavy.

That is true, but like I said it could also be a small portion (Batman area : Batman the Ride, Dark Knight Ride, Stunt show area) it could be like a Gotham Square of sorts and it would bring in another newly themed area like the Golden Kingdom) The other areas have decent theming that just needs to be kept up but last time I was there Movie Town seemed like it needed a real revamp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Movietown is the best area in the park hands down! :)

There isn't much left in "Movietown". It's really little more than Batman town. "The Golden Kingdom" was easily the best themed/integrated section of the park. Right up until current management destroyed it. At this point, Great Adventure is pretty much a bunch of haphazardly thrown together themes. But, this has been the case for decades. Every effort made to resurrect a resemblance of a true theme park, gets thwarted either by sale, bankruptcy, or just plain inept management (usually a catalyst that leads to the former two). Time Warner and Premier Parks have been the only two owners that tried anything daring (post Warner LeRoy).

All three times it came down to having one person with vision in charge of things rather than running by committee and bean counters.

Warner LeRoy's original vision was unique and he didn't let little things like lack of money for the project stand in the way. Unfortunately he got sidetracked by other projects and investors who wanted to see better return.

Under Time Warner, Bob Pittman had the vision to really turn the park into something unique, and then Time Warner decided it wasn't part of their core business.

Under Premier, when McCurley came to run the park, he brought his big ideas with him and convinced Burke and Story that it was the way to go, then they went and so did he (although that was his own doing).

Some day another visionary will come in and fix things again and create another golden age, then the plug will get pulled again...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) it all happens in cycles. The real problem is always just as they build momentum they lose it for some stupid reason, often beyond the control the park itself.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

for some reason, i thinking that if six flags is for sale, i thinking that warnermedia could buy six flags and rename the parks like paramount way: warner bros great adventure, warner bros magic mountain, warner bros america, warner bros great america, and more on, and use theres ips warner bros owned like: the meg, lethal weapon,the matrix, willy wonka, animaniacs, smallfoot, storks, unforgiven, wild bunch, gremlins, austin powers and more, all expect for harry potter, lotr, and pokemon (the kids wb show and 2019 movie) and ready player one

Edited by harry2004