VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags-Branded Theme Park to Open in Dubai

29yrswithaGApass

Six Flags-Branded Theme Park to Open in Dubai

GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas, April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Six Flags Entertainment Corporation /quotes/zigman/597013/delayed/quotes/nls/six SIX -1.70% , the world's largest regional theme park company, and Meraas Leisure and Entertainment LLC, announced today a new strategic partnership to bring a Six Flags-branded theme park to Dubai. The project is planned to open in late 2017 and will be located within the multi-themed park project in Jebel Ali launched by Meraas.

"The cornerstone of our international expansion strategy has always been finding the right partner in the right location and, with Meraas in Dubai, we have done exactly that," said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment. "We are honored to be working with this world-class organization as the first significant strategic step taking the Six Flags brand to growing and successful markets outside North America."

Raed Al Nuaimi, Chief Leisure and Entertainment Officer, Meraas L&E, said: "We are delighted to have a world-leading theme park company and a brand like Six Flags on board. We are confident their presence will perfectly complement our project and further enhance our overall offerings in the leisure and entertainment space."

"As part of our commitment towards creating one-of-a-kind experiences and contributing towards the Dubai Tourism Vision 2020, our association with Six Flags will help us develop a world-class destination that redefines the industry and positively impacts the regional tourism sector."

Terms of the arrangement were not disclosed.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world's largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For 53 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com .

About Meraas Leisure and Entertainment LLC Meraas L&E is the leisure and entertainment arm of Meraas Holding, a Dubai-based real estate development company, which creates integrated master-planned communities embodying global standards of sustainability and quality.

As a premier provider of leisure and entertainment experiences, Meraas L&E is mandated to develop a portfolio of refreshingly innovative landmark projects that redefine Dubai's as well as the wider region's tourism and entertainment landscape.

SOURCE Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Seriously? Wow I didn't think Shapiro was that bad but I guess he had even less of a clue about what he was doing than I thought.

I just looked at what they have planned from the Goddard Group Facebook... wow that actually looks good! The only question I have is why they can't put that much attention to detail in the US parks?

Edited by RC98

Seriously? Wow I didn't think Shapiro was that bad but I guess he had even less of a clue about what he was doing than I thought.

I just looked at what they have planned from the Goddard Group Facebook... wow that actually looks good! The only question I have is why they can't put that much attention to detail in the US parks?

They didn't own or probably operate that park. So that's someone else's ideas. Not Six Flags

Don't forget he was looking to get rid of rides that were a drain on expenses. Kingda Ka requires major time and funding.

That is still dumb. I wonder if it still requires time and funding.

Yes, it does. Both SFGA and CP spend more money per guest on KK and TTD than any other ride in the parks (about $5 million a year to keep them up and running).

If they could have dumped KK, they could have saved several other rides from the chopping block, so it was a trade-off.

Also, those Goddard Group renderings were the previous plans for SF Dubai, not this new one. They probably will have a new design and simplify things a bit.

Not only that but if you look at the artist renderings youll see Parachuters Perch re themed with hot air ballons. KK is in the mix and correct me if Im wronge the tower can stay there just supports. which is not a major deal as is the track and launch system.