VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #20: Concerts - Status Quo or Upcharge for Bigger Acts?

Concerts at Great Adventure  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What should Great Adventure do with concerts acts?

• Leave as is - similar acts to what they have today without any upcharge.
    • Attract bigger names and more popular performers even if it meant a minimal upcharge.

I voted for bigger names with an upcharge. Even if they charged $15 or $20, it's still way less than a regular concert ticket especially for passholders who aren't paying anything extra to enter the park that day.

Defiantly bigger names. Doesn't mean it has to be Beyonce or Justin Bieber status but more well known people wouldn't hurt, even it there is a small up charge. I feel like concerts used to always be good at the park and now theres just an occasional 'good' person or two.

I would go fo the the bigger names too.

Back in 1986 the park offered a "Power Pass" which like the standard pass offered unlimited admissions to the park but also access to all concerts. The difference in price was $44.95 versus $34.95. Day guests and regular pass holders paid a nominal fee for concerts. The difference that season was there were weekly concerts and very popular acts (for that rime) perfomed. The way it was described in the season pass mailer that year was the "nominal surcharge will allow Great Adventure to present its strongest concert line-up ever."

gallery_2_35_1021259.jpg

Agreed with everfyone bigger names. Even if it means a surcharge. The park could also have a afternoon gate as well like the old Magic til Midnight Which was half the main gate plus the concert fee. and half price parking.

I voted for the upcharge. Since I don't really do the rides anymore, I still enjoy going to the park and look forward to the shows and concerts. So far this year I'm not seeing anything that stands out and I would pay more for some bigger acts. I'm hoping there's still a few surprises coming soon.

Hershey does, but you have to pay the same price to see those concerts as you would at a venue in New York or Philly because that is a MAJOR venue like the Meadowlands or the Wells Fargo Center not a little venue like the Arena at Great Adventure. It's not like the show is included in your Hershey admission (Which is much higher than GA's anyway), it's at a separate venue that shares the parking lot. In addition, as has been mentioned before when this has come up, because Great Adventure is so close to New York, Philly and AC, most artists can't play GA because they have contracts to play those other, bigger/better venues that pay much better than GA can. The Giant Center at Hershey is the major venue for central PA.

Theme parks in general, but GA are the stop for new acts on their way up in the business or old acts on their way down. The only exception to that at GA are Christian artists and country artists who don't get many venues in our area and have loyal followings who come from miles around.

How many people can the Arena in GA hold? While I know it is very unlikely that a major act such as Springsteen would play there, there are many others who I think could fit. As you said older acts on the way down. Take Bryan Adams for example. I saw him at the State Theatre in New Brunswick last year. This does not hold many people. I would think an act like this would be reasonable with an upcharge.

Great Adventure is so close to New York, Philly and AC, most artists can't play GA because they have contracts to play those other, bigger/better venues that pay much better than GA can.

From what I have heard the venue doesn't pay the artiest but in turn the artiest pays to rent the venue for the night. My guess is the bigger named groups do not see it worth stopping at GA when you have NYC, Philly and Atlantic City all with in a 60 miles radius which will deff bring in greater profit from ticket sales and merch.

Not that this has to do with anything but I have also heard that some groups do not book certain venues due to "unions". For example I know some bands rather book Barcleys Center because they are non union and the bands are allowed to have their own people handle the gear vs MSG that is union and the band is not allowed to use their own people

Organizations and production companies bring in the concerts that you have to pay extra for such as The Caribbean Concert, Rock The Flags, Electric Adventure, ect. They basically rent out the arena to have their show. Everyone else the park pays, that's why they need sponsors like Plymouth Rock, Coke, and Mike & Ike.