VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Twisted Colossus

Password121

On June 2, Six Flags Magic Mountain released the closing date of their famous racing wooden coaster- August 16, 2014. This all but confirmed the rumors of Colossus receiving the "Iron Horse" treatment from Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC). What do you all think of this decision? Is this a breath of new life into Colossus, Magic Mountain, and the Six Flags chain, or a multi-million dollar mistake over-investing in this costly park for the sake of adding coasters?

Things that I find interesting about this decision:

-Six Flags continues to re-engineer (or perhaps demolish) outdated/past their prime wooden coasters

-Six Flags chooses to invest millions in Magic Mountain in coaster projects yet again

-RT, a comparable coaster, was demolished, not redone

Some questions I have-

Recently, SF has been installing one completely new coaster per year, plus one Iron Horse project. SFnE's Cyclone is very likely to receive the same treatment- will SF install a NEW coaster in the chain in 2015, more importantly at Gadv?

Why did SF choose to remove RT, but (probably) not Colossus? Is it that much better?

Feel free to discuss!

Edited by Password121

BpJEODvCYAAahmP.jpg

https://twitter.com/Park_Journey/status/473515920690642944/photo/1

It will never operate as Colossus after August 16th as it is. SF hasn't confirmed an RMC Iron Horse or not, but from what I've heard it seems likely.

Edit: Also, August 16th is National Roller Coaster Day. This is no coincidence.

I have never been to Magic Mountain and hoped to eventually get there. Colossus was a coaster I was really looking forward to trying after seeing it featured on many shows when I was a kid like when they had a challenge on Wild & Crazy Kids to hold cups of blue or red water and not spill them and when it was in the Kidsongs video Ride The Roller Coaster. Hopefully if it does get Iron Horse track, they leave some of the old elements in the ride.

I feel it will get the I-box treatment, mainly because the closing of Colossus has major hype and signs about it, as did Texas Giant and Rattler when they closed. Rolling Thunder had very little acknowledgment at the park that it was closing and it makes sense that it will most likely become a hybrid.

There were rumors flying around out here that Colossus would be closing. It just wasn't clear until the information went public today.

I always loved riding it once I moved out here 30 years ago. It reminded me of Rolling Thunder.

First time I rode it was backwards in 1984.

Plus, a handful of movies used the coaster for shooting scenes, including Vacation.

Like Great Adventure, Magic Mountain loses another classic. Too bad.

Haven't been to Magic Mountain since 1999, when I had a season pass and lived less than two miles from the park. (I could see the top of the red tower from my house at one time, too).

What is the "Iron Horse" treatment? Converting wood to steel?

Basically, yes. The wood track is removed and the supports are reprofiled, then RMC's installs their "I Box" track, which is just steel track that fits to the support system like wooden track. The name comes from the I-shaped track. The Texas Giant had this done, then the Rattler at Fiesta Texas and now Medusa at Six Flags Mexico.

I have been to Magic Mountain twice and rode Colossus, hopefully it is getting redone and not torn out since it has so much history. Colossus was also in National Lampoon's Vacation and is even the final scene of the film.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes you wonder if six flags is really going to do an I-box conversion on collosus if they would paint all the new wood white like the rest of the supports or leave it plain...

Six flags is a bit lazy when replacing wood on some of the clasics... SFOGs GASMs turn after the first hill is now made out of in painted lumber!

Edited by Coasterharrison'98

• 2 months later...