VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

GA Mystery Photos & Trivia

29yrswithaGApass

I say 1999 just to be different.

I practically lived at the park in 1999, I'm pretty sure they did not upgrade it then.

They changed it to help the War On Lines by showing they were also keeping things fresh with older rides as well as adding new rides.

They did upgrade the Skyride that year with a new system, although it was not noticeable to the public. :D

ANSWER: Although the wheel started to be replaced in the mid 80s, it wasn't until 1993 that the wheel was complete with new water buckets and once again opeartional.

gallery_2_80_317241.jpg

When you say "operational," do you mean to tell me that the wheel actually turns? If it does, I have NEVER seen the wheel turn in the 35 years that park has been open. I can remember standing in line as a kid and getting close to it and thinking to myself "why did they put this in here and not have it actually functioning with the water?"

It does actually turn (at least since it was replaced in 1986). Before the buckets were added it turned freely in the breeze, and it still does when the pump isn't running. The water drips down on the logs as the pass out of the station for that extra wetness. :rain2:

gallery_2_80_219560.jpg

Edited by 29yrswithaGApass
Added photo with scaffolding from 1986

It does actually turn (at least since it was replaced in 1986). Before the buckets were added it turned freely in the breeze, and it still does when the pump isn't running. The water drips down on the logs as the pass out of the station for that extra wetness. :rain2:

gallery_2_80_219560.jpg

Okay, you got me on this one because I never even knew that water does actually get pumped to the top of the wheel... But now I've found some pictures with water coming out of the top... You learn something new every day!

I don't believe it did. It seemed very solid up until the replacement when it was "plussed".

You do learn something new every day! We learned A LOT this week which we will be sharing in the not too distant future... :D

And you can bet I am SO looking forward to it! You guys are great!

When you say "operational," do you mean to tell me that the wheel actually turns? If it does, I have NEVER seen the wheel turn in the 35 years that park has been open. I can remember standing in line as a kid and getting close to it and thinking to myself "why did they put this in here and not have it actually functioning with the water?"

There is an electrical disconnect at the base of the wheel to turn the pump on and off. It was usually the duty of one of the attendants to turn the pump on as they headed to their station up top, unfortunately more often then not it was forgotten and left off.

^^ Those work! :)

ANSWER: The Joust-A-Bout, African Rivers, Asian Rivers, North American Rivers and The Right Stuff were all removed after the 1998 season.

I was thinking more along the lines of an actual demolition/removal so I didn't think of The Right Stuff. So.......

BONUS QUESTION: What other attraction was removed from the park after the 1998 season?

^^ Eric, which timeline page has the Little Wheel listed with those dates? Those are some of the earliest pages which we will be redoing when we can work it into our plan.