VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa Closed

Yoshi

From Screamscape:

http://screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_tampa.htm

First they closed the Tiger side and now the Lion side will be closing early next year. Screamscape is reporting it is a budget cut which is a shame considering how much they charge to get into the park and have already closed other attractions in the park for budget reasons like the Egypt walkthrough near Montu. Screamscape is also reporting it will be SBNO rather than demolished.

I was not a fan of Gwazi at all and have it ranked as the worst wooden coaster I have ridden even after Hercules but would have liked to have seen it continue to operate if they aren't going to remove it since it would help keep lines shorter for the other rides. I never expected it to be so rough after riding Wildcat and Lightning Racer, and I normally don't find coasters that have reputations of being rough too bad like Rolling Thunder and Scream Machine that I both rarely skipped when going to Great Adventure.

• 4 weeks later...

Now Screamscape posted that Travis Clayor who is the park's public relations manager has confirmed that Rhino Rally is closed permanently. I never rode Rhino Rally with the water portion but did get to try it in 2012 and while it wasn't as good as Kilimanjaro Safari or the safari at Great Adventure, it was still fun and a good family ride so it will be a shame to see yet another ride closure.

I rode Rhino Rally when it still had the water portion and it blew away the Kilimanjaro Safari and the GAdv safari. It is sad Busch took such poor care of the ride and kept stripping it down. I think there was another ride, some sort of sim ride with Martin Short that they ran really poorly too. By the time it closed it only had one working cabin left using a rented replacement projector. It seems Busch has a history of this kind of behavior towards some of their rides.

Edited by The Master

It had a bunch of different names/themes, I rode the simulator in 1996 when it was Questor and remember thinking it was really good. They shut down Europe In The Air simulator ride in Williamsburg in 2013 also to save costs and I think reopened it sometime last year, at least during Hallowscream (or maybe all year too?)

Edited by Yoshi

Looking up Wiki, Questor ran from 1991 to 1998 and was replaced by Akbar's Adventure Tours with Martin Short which ran from 1998 to 2007 in the Eygpt section of the park. They use it as a haunted house for Halloween now.

Edited by The Master

I recall alot of ACE members being really excited when Busch announced they were building their first wooden coaster. With their record of adding quality steel coasters, the thought of what they could do with wood really got folks thrilled. It is a shame that their first and only wood coaster didn't turn out better.

• 2 months later...

Now Screamscape posted that Travis Clayor who is the park's public relations manager has confirmed that Rhino Rally is closed permanently. I never rode Rhino Rally with the water portion but did get to try it in 2012 and while it wasn't as good as Kilimanjaro Safari or the safari at Great Adventure, it was still fun and a good family ride so it will be a shame to see yet another ride closure.

About Rhino Rally: we originally rode it when it opened and had a good time the water portion was fun too.

It will be missed!

• 3 years later...